Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
I knew that wasn't possible... until now.
My eMac's CRT has what appears to be a "stuck pixel." Just a tiny black dot about the size of an LCD pixel smack dab in the middle of my screen What on Earth can I do to get rid of it? (And you'd better not suggest cleaning... LOL)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You can massage it out. :p

CRTs can have screen defects too, a bubble/scratch/crack in the glass, foreign object on the grid, dead spot on coating, etc.

Of course quite a few people complain about the horizontal line(s) across the screen.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
sockeatingdryer said:
"Dead Spot"

Right. Stuck pixels mean they don't change colors, or stay pretty much the same color. Dead pixels/spots are, well, "dead"... black.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
if possible try degusins (sp) the screen. I had something like that happen on the CRT the familay computer use and the Degauss fix it. CRT need to have that done on them from time to time (I am to lazy to explain how it all works)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
sockeatingdryer said:
Well, from what I understand the eMac degausses itself when you wake it from sleep... how would you degauss it manually?
There is probably a Degauss button under System Preferences/Displays/Geometry(i think)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I think you can go out and by something that can cause things to degauss. If I remeber right it a powerful magincte. On computer monitors there is a wire wrap around the CRT tub that is charged when it is degaussed (otherwise big electormagentce). But do not try any old magnectc and dont take my word from it. I am working from shady memory here but I do believe they make a kit that can do it

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
hmm, don't want to alarm you too much but... years ago I came across some really old CRT's with dead spots, and some technician said that they're really bad, apparently they are holes in the phosphors, which allow radioactive electrons to pour out by the bucket load!!! Now that I've alarmed you!... I'm gonna go do some research about it and get back to you =] :D

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Hmm, the only google I found, said they could be cause by a shadowmask fault, I'd give Apple a call about it. If its a hole in the phosphor layer I think that could be quite bad, since electrons will be beaming out at you.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
I think I might call AppleCare after all my 4-H stuff is done... next week. I've had some sort of 4-H trip every week this month, and two weeks last month. Busy summer... :cool:

Chaywa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Athens, OH
better hold off on the degauss

Manually deguassing would require, you guessed it, a degausser. This is an electromagnetic device that you wave infront of the screen and it scrambles up the phosphors and basically resets them to how they came from the factory. We used to do this all the time where I worked to get rid of the green tint caused by having a CRT too close to speakers. We even found that a hand held audio tape demagnitizer worked well. You could probably get something like this at radio shack but...we were using these on plain old CRTs you might want to check with an expert first before you go waving a powerful magnet around your hard drive and mobo. That might cause more problems than it solves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.