Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

War900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I was planning on eliminating my current Boot Camp partition (XP SP3) and using the same XP install disc to put Windows on a different computer (also a Mac). I was just wondering if I will be able to do that, seeing as my particular XP disc is good for 1 install. I have created an XP partition then deleted it moments later to increase the partition space (all on the same install disc), so that is what leads me to believe that as long as I destroy the OS, I can use the disc again. The big problem here is that I DON'T KNOW and it's not something I'm willing to risk trying. If I could get a confirmation that would be fantastic.
Thanks!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Windows uses a variety of parameters (CPU speed, etc) to determine whether it's been installed on multiple computers. Retail CDs won't kick up a fuss until they've "seen" I think five different computers. OEM CDs I believe are a bit stricter. Basically you'll need to try it and see. If it does fail, then you'll be able to call Microsoft toll free and get a code. I believe that they give you the benefit of the doubt if you call them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.