Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Swedes divided over bunny biofuel

The bodies of thousands of rabbits are fuelling a heating plant in central Sweden, local newspapers say.

The city of Stockholm has an annual cull of thousands of rabbits to protect the capital's parks and green spaces.

The rabbits, not native to Sweden, are mainly the offspring of pets released by owners, and are said to be destroying parks in the capital.

Since they have no natural predators, the city administration of Stockholm employs hunters to kill the rabbits.

Tommy Tuvunger, one of the hunters, told Germany's Spiegel website that 6,000 rabbits were culled last year, and another 3,000 this year.

"They are a very big problem," he said. "Once culled, the rabbits are frozen and when we have enough, a contractor comes and takes them away."

The frozen rabbits are then taken to a heating plant in Karlskoga which incinerates them to heat homes.
BBC link

I don't know how to feel about this… on the one hand it isn't as if they are fed into the incinerator alive and kicking… or killed for fuel.
And well if there are so many carcasses I guess it would be foolish to waste it…
_46556807_000213967-1.jpg

Still. :eek::eek: Poor bunnies. :(

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Eeek. Can't we just bury the bodies and then burn the fossil fuels in a few million years? That's been working well enough for the last few centuries..

It's a bit creepy, but it's no worse than we've been doing for thousands of years I guess.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I know just what you mean, arkitect.
I'm just a softy. :eek:
Eeek. Can't we just bury the bodies and then burn the fossil fuels in a few million years? That's been working well enough for the last few centuries..

It's a bit creepy, but it's no worse than we've been doing for thousands of years I guess.

I can't wait for the next outbreak of "Foot and Mouth" or somesuch horror… :( Those images of the burning heaps of carcasses all around the countryside haunt me still…

Maybe we'll hook the national grid up to some proper incinerators next time.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I can't wait for the next outbreak of "Foot and Mouth" or somesuch horror… :( Those images of the burning heaps of carcasses all around the countryside haunt me still…

Maybe we'll hook the national grid up to some proper incinerators next time.

I wonder, should we hook up crematoriums to the national grid too? :eek:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Ack! Ever since I read that article, Elmer Fudd's Kill the Wabbit (to the tune of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries) has been looping non-stop in my head.:(:(:( Make it stop, make it stop.:eek:

Blinkwing

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
New Zealand
New Zealand has had a possum infestation for the last century or so, Swedes are just starting to do the right thing :p

In NZ, gov't used to pay people around 50 cents per possum killed. Plus you could skin them and use the fur for socks/jumpers/blankets, etc. Some shops still sell possum clothes, I must say it's pretty cozy stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.