PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Express 4: Exporting Tutorial

Crasher
Oct 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've been to several different sites looking for the setting for best quality, etc. and for every site I seem to get 3 or 4 completely different answers. Talk about frustrating!

I'm not looking to post video to the web and I'm not looking to make a dvd (yet). All I want to do is edit my videos, export them as close to lossless as possible, put the exported movies on my external hard drive, and from there burn or convert them as needed when the time comes. That way, in the future, I can burn them to dvd's or use other applications to put them in smaller formats for web-sharing and also use them as "Archives" (a lot of them are old family videos I'm logging and editing from 8mm, vhs, etc.) and as technology and formats changes I'll be able to use them as "Masters" to convert to new standard formats in the future. (Since many of these videos are already 30 years old, I'm hoping that the videos I make will still be playable 30 years or more from now.)

I'm not working with hd, and about half the movies will be in 4:3, the other in 16:9. I hope I am not completely missing the point when it comes to exporting and would greatly appreciate a solid, step by step response.

Frustrated in Texas,
Jacob

Angelo95210
Oct 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
I can see it's your first post, so Welcome !

So first, I think you should read the embedded FC tutorial (accessible from the help menu). It's pretty clear with a lot of explanations.

For your specific question, FC works with the Apple Quicktime format. So if you want to keep the best quality you have to keep with this format and export without compression. This will then be a huge file you can use with iDVD etc when you want to burn.