Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
what are the chances of sony adding .mkv support for the ps3?

sat here trying ( hopefully ) to convert mkv to avi to play on it grrrrrr, :mad:

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
what are the chances of sony adding .mkv support for the ps3?

sat here trying ( hopefully ) to convert mkv to avi to play on it grrrrrr, :mad:

yea its really annoying that it cant play mkv files. I don't really expect sony to update this problem (you never know though). For now your best bet is to export using a pass through for the video (mkv video is already h.264) and just re-encode the audio. transcoding the videos takes forever and degrades video quality.

when i download shows in mkv format, it usually only takes my g5 a minute or two to convert to an mp4 file that the ps3 can play.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
.mkv is open source so it's up to Sony. I use PS3 Media Server which has live encoding so I can stream .mkv file and it'll be encoded to .avi while I'm streaming it, no need for pre-converting it and then streaming. Great app

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
.mkv is open source so it's up to Sony. I use PS3 Media Server which has live encoding so I can stream .mkv file and it'll be encoded to .avi while I'm streaming it, no need for pre-converting it and then streaming. Great app

link? google keeps pointing me to a mediatomb page with a dead end :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.