PDA

View Full Version : PAINTING SUCKS!

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 07:59 AM
I'm painting the exterior of my house. IT SUCKS. It's a 70-year old clappboard house, there's a lot of scraping, and I have to keep replacing weak and rotten siding. IT SUCKS. Scraping sucks. Sanding sucks. Ladders suck (as does the DOOM-a-flatchie, which I have come to think of the 10-foot scaffalding). Priming SUCKS. My wife SUCKS for conning me into doing it while she's six hours away at school. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I feel like a whiny bitch, but I had to share. :o

I don't care how poor I am, I'm never taking on this home improvement project again. Ever. I'm paying someone else. :mad:

Your experiences?

MongoTheGeek
Jul 19, 2004, 08:01 AM
I'm painting the exterior of my house. IT SUCKS. It's a 70-year old clappboard house, there's a lot of scraping, and I have to keep replacing weak and rotten siding. IT SUCKS. Scraping sucks. Sanding sucks. Ladders suck (as does the DOOM-a-flatchie, which I have come to think of the 10-foot scaffalding). Priming SUCKS. My wife SUCKS for conning me into doing it while she's six hours away at school. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't care how poor I am, I'm never taking on this home improvement project again. Ever. I'm paying someone else. :mad:

Your experiences?

I am sooooooo glad my house is brick... :D

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 08:04 AM

I hate you right now. :D

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 08:53 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :p Ok, I'm done. I feel for you. Really. I'm currently rennovating my sons room. And, like you, I have an old house. Thus, none of the corners are square, level, etc. BTW, your braver than I am for going up on a ladder. I tried to do that a couple of weeks ago to clean my gutters because I had trees getting rather tall up there (about 30ft up) but I made the mistake of looking down :eek: and I realized that my 270 pound body would make a big dent in my wifes minivan if I landed on it. So the trees will live to another day.
Actually, I don't mind doing my own work (even though I suck at it). Except for ANY plumbing :mad: (has bad memories of trying to install water filter) and most electrical. ZZZZzzzaPPP!

P.S My house has siding on it :) but it's about 30 years old and in DIRE need of replacement (about 15-16,000) :eek:

P.S MAKE SURE YOUR WIFE REWARDS YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!! :)

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :p Ok, I'm done. I feel for you. Really. I'm currently rennovating my sons room. And, like you, I have an old house. Thus, none of the corners are square, level, etc. BTW, your braver than I am for going up on a ladder. I tried to do that a couple of weeks ago to clean my gutters because I had trees getting rather tall up there (about 30ft up) but I made the mistake of looking down :eek: and I realized that my 270 pound body would make a big dent in my wifes minivan if I landed on it. So the trees will live to another day.
Actually, I don't mind doing my own work (even though I suck at it). Except for ANY plumbing :mad: (has bad memories of trying to install water filter) and most electrical. ZZZZzzzaPPP!

P.S My house has siding on it :) but it's about 30 years old and in DIRE need of replacement (about 15-16,000) :eek:

P.S MAKE SURE YOUR WIFE REWARDS YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!! :)

Sometime in the years before I bought my house, there was a leak in the bathroom that eroded the soil underneath the piers on the left front of the house. It sank about a foot and a half. Consequently, there is nothing even remotely square in the house -- anywhere.

I put quarter round in the kitchen yesterday (while it rained and I couldn't work outside). My miter box was useless. I ended up being a job for eyeball and DAP.

The really frustrating thing is that I'm not even going to live in the darn thing. I'm leaving Beaufort for Chapel Hill to be with my wife. (She's getting her master's at UNC.) So all this @#$% and I can't even live there. Crappy renters are going to get the fruit of my labor.

I like home improvement. Really, I do. But I like it when it's a manageable task and I do it with my wife. That's fun. Scraping paint chips off raftertail and even from a ladder: That's not fun.

btw: "I realized that my 270 pound body would make a big dent in my wifes minivan" = LOL. I know the feeling. I've fallen off the DOOM-a-flatchie twice now. Once at five feet onto soft ground and once at 10 feet -- I caught myself on a bar and avoided disaster, but pusted my knee. Hence, DOOM-a-flatchie.

krimson
Jul 19, 2004, 09:33 AM
rent one of those sandblaster things, and a paint spray-gun.. it'll cut your time down alot.

takao
Jul 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
yeah our house needs a repainting and remaking the wood too ...when i was a kid renovating stuff was normal ... a house is never finished ;-) you are always painting here, or putting in a new door there etc.

to consider a house with 30 years as 'old' is an exaggeration... the house of our family was built around 1925...(and heavily modified 25 years ago to fit all the people... about 4-5 rooms & 2 balconies have been added..)

dvdh
Jul 19, 2004, 09:58 AM

Just wait until you need to re-point your brick, then painting won't look all that difficult or time consuming. . . .

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
to consider a house with 30 years as 'old' is an exaggeration... the house of our family was built around 1925...(and heavily modified 25 years ago to fit all the people... about 4-5 rooms & 2 balconies have been added..)

The house isn't 30 years old, the SIDING is. The house itself I believe was built in 1926, but the range is from the late 1800's to the mid 1920's. I found a little "time capsule" in one of the rooms I redid. It had a magazine, a letter, a catalog, and some other stuff in it-all dated 1926. The mag, letter and catalog are all in very good shape. Unfortunately mice got to the rest.

I put quarter round in the kitchen yesterday (while it rained and I couldn't work outside). My miter box was useless. I ended up being a job for eyeball and DAP.

Same issue here :) . I think it's more fun when I manage to cut a piece of drywall straight and when I put it in place, I have a 1" gap at the bottom because the wall is out of square (stupid me for assuming).

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 11:01 AM
rent one of those sandblaster things, and a paint spray-gun.. it'll cut your time down alot.

Pressure washer tore up the wood too bad. I did the paint spray-gun -- industrial strength. It was too much machine for me to handle. I ended up creating more work for myself than help (but in the end, I did get the house primed).

I just invested in a Wagner poser sprayer, and I'm going to use that to finish the first coat and the second.

Power sprayers don't help that much with double-hung sash windows. :grump:

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 11:35 AM
Did your neighbors get a fresh coat of primer? :p

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 12:03 PM
Did your neighbors get a fresh coat of primer? :p

no, but there are several wasps, a palmetto bug and half a lizard that are ready for paint. As for the bushes ... photosynthesys is overrated anyway. :D

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 01:08 PM
Generally, bushes are good for landing on. Providing there are no wasps, bees or other dangerous creatures calling the bush home.

My father in law has an airless sprayer. He learned the hard way that you don't use it outside on a very slightly windy day. My wifes car ended up getting a free detail job, courtesy of him. :D Tan house paint does not look well on a dark maroon Dodge Daytona. BTW, the cars were at least 75ft away from where he was painting the kitchen doors.

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 01:18 PM
You see, that's what I tried to tell my wife about the bushes. (She came down this weekend, I think just to yell at me.) I told her I used a drop cloth over the bushes I was painting near, and she was like, "don't lie to me. There's know way that much paint ...."

The house is making me feel like Homer Simpson as a guest on "This Old House."

Another (not so) cool thing: I found a very large hornet's nest in my extension ladder. It filled about six of the hollow step-rungs and the back side of the ladder. While I wasn't only stung once, I did find myself running full-tilt down the road screaming like a little girl.

I tried raid, but didn't have enough to finish the job, so I used a little gasoline and a beer bottle to make a Molitov cocktail and roasted the suckers. Then I felt bad about it. :o

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 02:11 PM
I feel your pain (in some instances literally). I had an old van I used for hauling stuff (poor thing finally died last year). It had 2 wasp nests in it. After missing my eye by about a 1/4" with a stinger, I had NO MERCY on the litter buggers. :mad:

I've been fortunate. I found a very large nest in my attic; fortunately it was old and abandoned.. It was the width of the space between the joists, and about 2 feet long. :eek:

Anywho, tell your wife that with a spray gun the drop cloths only help a little because the paint vaporizes and works around it.

superninjagoat
Jul 19, 2004, 02:44 PM
According to neighbors, before I moved into my house there was a wasps nest about the size of a Volkswagen bus on the side of the building. It was about 10-15 feet tall (depending on which neighbor you talk to) and spanned an area between my fireplace and the HVAC unit.

Now we have lots of little hornets' nests all around the house. I guess they are holdovers from the big mamma-jamma. Usually, they don't bother anyone. It's just when you come across one of their nests by accident.

The one in the addict is kinda' creepy -- imaging finding that still active ... and being trapped up their. :eek:

question fear
Jul 19, 2004, 03:41 PM
old wood sucks to have to paint.
i took on a smaller but similar project trying to paint the porch of the store i work in, it was terrible. the porch is around 30-ish years old, the wood planks are being replaced one by one as they rot, and there was more than one time when we were worried the paint was too much for some of the railings to handle.
let us know when you complete it...and how many beers you drink to forget it!

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 19, 2004, 04:00 PM
HA, you think painting your house it bad, try re-roofing a house. It is quite possibly the hardest, hotest, most exhausting, sore muscle task that I have ever done.

dobbin
Jul 19, 2004, 04:09 PM
I like painting! A few years ago when I was a student I worked as a painter in the holidays and loved it. Actually, I did hate scraping and sanding for hours on end. But it really is worth it in the end when its all looking clean and new again.

I still enjoy helping my family to paint their houses sometimes, but I bought a brand new house myself so I won't need to paint my own place for a few years yet...

raynegus
Jul 19, 2004, 05:02 PM
I'll give you ten bucks to paint my fence.

jsw
Jul 19, 2004, 05:08 PM
HA, you think painting your house it bad, try re-roofing a house. It is quite possibly the hardest, hotest, most exhausting, sore muscle task that I have ever done.

Well, digging out for landscaping in rocky soil gives re-roofing a run for its money. Not as hot, but arguably as exhausting.

Roger1
Jul 19, 2004, 06:08 PM

I paid to have somebody do my roof. This is why
1. It's up in the air
2. I had 3 layers (the bottom being cedar shakes)
3. It's up in the air
4. It leaked
5. It's up in the air
6. It's hard work
7. You need to climb ladders
8. It's up in the air
I'm sure there's more reasons (it's up in the air), but I think listing 8 is enough. :)

dobbin
Jul 20, 2004, 02:44 AM

Throw in the airfare as well, and its a deal :D

MongoTheGeek
Jul 20, 2004, 07:29 AM

<Tom Sawyer>Well I might let you paint the back of the fence, but this here is up front. How do I know you'll do a good job</Tom Sawyer>

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 07:46 AM
HA, you think painting your house it bad, try re-roofing a house. It is quite possibly the hardest, hottest, most exhausting, sore muscle task that I have ever done.

I believe you may be right about the roofing. I've helped on a couple of roofing jobs for relatives (and where the hell are those relatives while I'm painting, huh?), and it really is a cruel job.

Well, digging out for landscaping in rocky soil gives re-roofing a run for its money. Not as hot, but arguably as exhausting.

Feh! Feh, I say! I'll make a deal. You come roof and paint my house (or both!) and I'll dig your garden. :D

I like painting! A few years ago ....

Please help me. It would only be a short swim for you to get here. I'd have plenty of cheap American beer and ... there's a hot redneck girl across the street you can look at .... Ok, that's about all I have to offer. But please help. :)

letterbox
Jul 20, 2004, 08:47 AM
superninjagoat,

you are in beaufort? my uncle lives there. also, do you know captain sinbad from barataria?

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 09:20 AM
superninjagoat,

you are in beaufort? my uncle lives there. also, do you know captain sinbad from barataria?

I'm in Beaufort for another week or so. I've been here for almost five years, and I love it here. But I'm embarking on a new life in Chapel Hill, N.C. New job starts the 9th.

Don't know Captin Sinbad from Barataria. What's up with him? Great name, though.

Have you spent much time here?

EDIT: Just realized we're off topic. PM me with your answer. s.n.goat

SECOND EDIT: Nevermind about the PM. I got mixed up and thought this part of a thread in the dept-of-field thread I also am posting in. It would have been off-topic there, but not in commyunity discussion. oops

jsw
Jul 20, 2004, 09:35 AM
Feh! Feh, I say! I'll make a deal. You come roof and paint my house (or both!) and I'll dig your garden. :D

I've got 2/3 of an acre of rundown yard (bought it b/c it was cheap in a very expensive neighborhood). Rocks, hard soil, weeds, small trees, stumps... all needs to be worked on. Ground levelled, top soil added, stumps removed, etc.

I will happily roof and paint your house in exchange!

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 09:45 AM
I've got 2/3 of an acre of rundown yard (bought it b/c it was cheap in a very expensive neighborhood). Rocks, hard soil, weeds, small trees, stumps... all needs to be worked on. Ground levelled, top soil added, stumps removed, etc.

I will happily roof and paint your house in exchange!

And I will rent a Badger. Those little guys kick butt. Seriously, if you or anyone you know knows how to drive one of those bad boys (They aren't that hard, I used one when I was 14 or 15 to clear a couple of lots from my grandfather.), you can get the job done in a day if you already have the dirt delivered.

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 10:05 AM
So, all I've been doing lately is scraping@home and designing and writing@work -- trying to finish up both projects so I can move on to my new life. At work I'm on the computer (obviously, I'm done with my work, cause I've been posting all morning :) ) and at home I'm scraping/priming/painting.

I'm really stressed, and I've started dreaming about it. Usually, they're seperate dreams: the one where I don't finish my projects at work before I leave, and the other where my wife's pissed b/c I didn't do a good job on the house.

Last night I dreamed that I scraped a part of the house that didn't need scraping. So I hit Apple-z. I realized that my dream had an OS9-style apple menu. That was relatively jarring, so I woke up.

I can't wait 'till I'm done so I can relax.

Roger1
Jul 20, 2004, 10:43 AM
Funny dreams. I'm usually falling off a ladder (shudder). Anyway, if my wife starts giving me crap about a project, I tell her she's welcome to finish, and I'll go goof off somewhere. :p

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 10:51 AM
Funny dreams. I'm usually falling off a ladder (shudder). Anyway, if my wife starts giving me crap about a project, I tell her she's welcome to finish, and I'll go goof off somewhere. :p

I got all indignant and was like "it's easy to Monday morning quarterback," and finished that statement by inserting my foot into my mouth about two-thirds of the way to my bunghole.

I love my wife, but she's no one to mess with. That's a lot of the reason I keep her around. And she's hot.

Anyway, after my quarterback cliche, she went into the house, grabbed the broom and touched it to the eve. Paint flecks fell, proving her point. Truth is, I missed about a half dozen areas between rafter tails. Guess I deserved what I got.

I could have pushed it with "well, I didn't see you helping out this week," but how could she, she's living hours away.

You have a real thing about heights, don't you? lol

superninjagoat
Jul 20, 2004, 11:14 AM
You need an avatar! here's one that reflects the ladder/height thing. Take it or leave it! :D

Roger1
Jul 20, 2004, 11:16 AM
I've always been nervous about heights, but I fell once (I am so lucky my house has those old steel gutters) when the ladder gave way. I was using the ladder to climb from my addition to the 2nd story of my house and the ladder kicked out from under me. I caught the gutter and that kept me from flipping over onto my cement porch/stairs. So here I am stranded on top of the 1st floor of my house (since I pulled the ladder up behind me). So I see my wife in the bathroom, so I start beating on the window. What does she do??? She IGNORES ME!! Why? Because she thinks I'm just goofing off. I guess she didn't hear the loud THUMP as the ladder and I both fell over. So I end up stuck on the roof for about 1/2 hour until she hears me yelling for her :rolleyes: . My other reason for being nervous about heights is I don't think my ladder is rated for someone as big as me. I start climbing up it, and it starts to shake and wiggel, and decide that's enough. :p

TBR
Jul 20, 2004, 12:28 PM
never seen a wooden house

Roger1
Jul 20, 2004, 06:45 PM
So! Whaddaya all think of my new tar?? Thanks superninjagoat. ! :)

Krizoitz
Jul 20, 2004, 07:35 PM

Your experiences?

Sorry buddy, while it doesn't sound like fun, i spent all of last summer painting houses and my boss was an idiot too, so I think I can beat you on the suffering part :-) On the other hand, I can offer some useful advice

Scraping. Yeah it sucks but don't take shortcuts cause it will end up looking like crap later. It may be too late but the best thing is to rent a power washer for a day and do that first, it will save you a lot of time with the scrapping.

Second piece of advice. Use a roller with an extension. This will save you not only time on the ground, but time on the ladder as well. You can paint a whole lot more even on the ladder with an extension.

Third, paint in the shade. I know it sounds obvious but sometimes people don't realize that its not only uncomfortable but it dries the paint out before you can finish coating and doesn't allow the wood to get soaked in.

Fourth, there are paints that have primer built in. This can save you considerable time and effort, but they do cost a little more.

Fifth, paint as far across as you can at one level before painting above, even if your extension allows you to paint high. Otherwise you spend time painting vertically and you can end up with lines where the paint dries differently.

Hope that helps. Heck if you lived in my area I might be willing to come paint it for you (for a price of course). Free lance painting made me as much money as the CollegePro place I worked at did.

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 10:22 PM
So! Whaddaya all think of my new tar?? Thanks superninjagoat. ! :)

sweet! nice job superninjagoat.

zulgand04
Jul 20, 2004, 11:21 PM
i know exactly what u mean, im painting my grandmothers house it sux, the weather going from rain to 90 with high humidity it sux. Now im aslo working at a local stor 3 days a week, ahhh my nice summer before college is destroyed by paint ahhhh!!!!.

-Neal

MacFan26
Jul 21, 2004, 03:53 AM
Come on guys, why don't you just get one of those spray painter things from the TV commercials. One wave of your arm and the whole house is painted flawlessly, and then you can move on to your neighbors house! :eek: :D (for the record, I think painting sucks too, especially since no matter when you do it, there's always a dust storm the next day that makes it ugly again)

Roger1
Jul 21, 2004, 05:55 AM
LOL! When using a sprayer, sometimes you move on to your neighbors house whether or not you want to. :p

superninjagoat
Jul 25, 2004, 09:02 AM
Sorry buddy, while it doesn't sound like fun, i spent all of last summer painting houses and my boss was an idiot too, so I think I can beat you on the suffering part :-) On the other hand, I can offer some useful advice

Scraping. Yeah it sucks but don't take shortcuts cause it will end up looking like crap later. It may be too late but the best thing is to rent a power washer for a day and do that first, it will save you a lot of time with the scrapping.

Second piece of advice. Use a roller with an extension. This will save you not only time on the ground, but time on the ladder as well. You can paint a whole lot more even on the ladder with an extension.

Third, paint in the shade. I know it sounds obvious but sometimes people don't realize that its not only uncomfortable but it dries the paint out before you can finish coating and doesn't allow the wood to get soaked in.

Fourth, there are paints that have primer built in. This can save you considerable time and effort, but they do cost a little more.

Fifth, paint as far across as you can at one level before painting above, even if your extension allows you to paint high. Otherwise you spend time painting vertically and you can end up with lines where the paint dries differently.

Hope that helps. Heck if you lived in my area I might be willing to come paint it for you (for a price of course). Free lance painting made me as much money as the CollegePro place I worked at did.

Thank you for your tips. I'm too the finish coat stage, and things are moving along nicely. I'm actually feeling empowered by all the work I did before. I had a painter come by (a friend of mine -- mostly does interiors now) and he said the scraping job was one of the bests he'd seen.

Then he got me a weinie roller (six-ince roller) and showed me a wonderful way to speed up my work.

-s.n.goat

superninjagoat
Jul 25, 2004, 09:03 AM
i know exactly what u mean, im painting my grandmothers house it sux, the weather going from rain to 90 with high humidity it sux. Now im aslo working at a local stor 3 days a week, ahhh my nice summer before college is destroyed by paint ahhhh!!!!.

-Neal

<cues music><sings> Welcome to my world</sings></music>

Sux, don't it? Good luck.

superninjagoat
Jul 25, 2004, 09:10 AM
Roger1:

LOL! When using a sprayer, sometimes you move on to your neighbors house whether or not you want to. :p

Glad you like that 'tar!

All:

Things are going well at the house. I've gixed most of the problems my brother screwed up, everything is re-primed and some of the finish coat is on. I still have 11 windows to prime and paint, but I was able to knock out four of them yesterday, so I'm not sweating it.

Everything's on track to finish by Thursday, I think (rain permitting. We've had a lot of rain lately, and it's put me behind).

One thing I have learned is that next time, I'm hiring a professional, no matter what my lovely wife suggests. :D

I should be back online the second week of next month. No Internet at home anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comiseration (is that a word? if it is, is it spelled right? :o )

- s.n.goat

comictimes
Jul 25, 2004, 01:20 PM
ugh, I feel sorry for you. I spent all of my last summer painting/ fixing up the exterior of our house. So miserable... And yeah, I can imagine roofing being worse. Some of the places I was painting were on the roof, and it was probably at least 10 degrees hotter there than on the ground, and of course there's no shade...

18thTomorrow
Jul 25, 2004, 02:54 PM
I have to agree.

WHen I was a junior in highschool (all of 3 years ago...) one of my best friends named Lucy had to move out of state due to her dad's job. THe family lived in a beautiful little cottage-ey house built in the 1940's with wood siding, and the paint on the wood siding was peeling off like none other. Well, in order to sell the house that stuff absolutely had to be painted. So that summer my friends and I spent every day at Lucy's house, first scraping, then priming, then painting. It was the hottest summer on record, too :eek:

Makes for some interesting memories.

superninjagoat
Aug 6, 2004, 07:03 PM
I finished up the painting this past Wednesday. I'm now moved out and in Chapel Hill. Thanks everyone for your sympathy and advice.

Next time, I'm soooo hiring somebody else. The $2500 - $3000 I saved were IN NO WAY worth the time, agravation and effort.

s.n.goat

MacFan26
Aug 6, 2004, 08:45 PM
I finished up the painting this past Wednesday. I'm now moved out and in Chapel Hill. Thanks everyone for your sympathy and advice.

Next time, I'm soooo hiring somebody else. The $2500 - $3000 I saved were IN NO WAY worth the time, agravation and effort.

s.n.goat

Congratulations on getting it done and moving :)

Roger1
Aug 6, 2004, 09:12 PM
Good Job!!!!!! :p

scem0
Aug 7, 2004, 12:54 AM
Try roofing a house in the middle of summer in Texas.

That was the worst experience of my whole life. ;)

scem0