PDA

View Full Version : Apple G5 chips 'in one basket'

MacBytes
Jul 19, 2004, 08:59 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple G5 chips \'in one basket\' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040719095918)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

rjwill246
Jul 19, 2004, 09:32 AM
These 'spurts' sure gush! One can only imagine what they must really do for a living!!

The Cheat
Jul 19, 2004, 09:39 AM
Analysts at IDC have calculated that one month of lost iMac production will amount to 32,000 units, or about $32 million in sales. This translates to a bottom-line hit of about $260,000, after production costs, taxes and other costs.

By losing 32,000 sales, Apple's profits were down only $260,000!? If that were true, Apple only makes about $8 profit on the sale of an iMac.

Um, somehow I doubt that.

wdlove
Jul 19, 2004, 10:44 AM
It seems that they don't have any other choice, but to go with IBM. Production is bound to increase over time. I wonder if it is anymore difficult for Apple to be patient than for the customer?

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
Since AMD's new addition in Dresden will be using the same technology as IBM's 90nm fab, it's reasonable to believe that the two companies would at least consider second-sourcing for each other.

Also, every computer manufacturer is in essentially the same boat. intel and AMD processors are far from identical, so the same problem of having chips to stuff into a given system applies.

gerardrj
Jul 19, 2004, 01:57 PM
So the problem is that only IBM makes the new PPC750fx chips.

Lets review:

How many companies produce the Pentium IV or Celeron? How many companies produce the Athalon XP or Athalon 64?

In Intel's case: 1. With AMD I think it's two: AMD and IBM through their technology partnership.

So why rag on Apple for having a single supplier for the "G5" while overlooking that they still have Motorola making the "G4" for most of the lineup: eMac, iBook, PowerBook, and iMac(until the new model is released).