Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
I'll be getting a student discount, so it's $47 instead of $59. The only reason I'm considering it is to get a replacement battery before the 2 years are up. I don't think the Apple site addresses this specifically, but I remember reading somewhere that the policy was to replace a battery that has lost 50% of its capacity (and that they're really not strict on this, so that essentially you'll get a replacement battery if you ask for it)*. Anyone know about this, or have advice? Also, can you add this later?

*In a footnote on the Applecare page, it says "Service coverage is available only for the iPod and its original included accessories (excluding the carrying case) that are defective in materials or workmanship or for battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification. "

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
I bought the applecare, also with the student discount. I figured, for about 50 bucks, I could really take full advantage of my iPod and use it everywhere. The new gen 4 iPods just came out, and without any significantly new or innovative features, so I see no need to want to buy the newer gen, if your current one breaks. The iPod is a fragile device, and you never know what might happen to it, so its good to have the peace of mind. And if you drop it, pray there are no marks on the casing, otherwise, you might have to do some fancy talking to get them to replace it.

P.S.-The don't actually replace the battery, they send in yours, and send you a brand new (refurbished) unit. It just comes in very generic and ugly packaging. :) I think thats the only difference

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
Can you add applecare to an iPod even though you bought it at a retail store? I bought my Mini at Target and they don't offer warranty plans.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
the TAP from compusa is a better program for the ipod. gives you in-store replacement if something is wrong with your ipod. it also only cost me $30 in houston, texas. apple care makes more sense for the mac laptops imho. you can add the TAP even if you bought the ipod elsewhere as long as the box is unopened.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Does anyone know for sure if you can buy Applecare at the 1-year point, when the original warranty expires? In the pdf describing the terms and conditions, it says, "Your coverage for Battery depletion begins on the original purchase date of your Plan." ("Plan" refers to your Applecare coverage)

If so, it would probably be worth it, since your battery will likely need replacing after 3 years (although I'm sure you'll want to upgrade by then, which is probably what Apple is counting on)

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i was thinking of getting apple care for my ipod, however i chose not to since i can buy a replacement battery for $50 should i need one and $50 for apple care is relatively steep given i could buy a used replacement for my ipod for 150 or so

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
ok before you guys fall under a common misconception ..

the longest any applecare for an ipod can last is two years from purchase date. It doesn't matter when you add it in the first year of warranty, you only get one more additional year. Its the same for all apple computers except the computer one is for 3 years total (this includes the 1 yr standard warranty).

and yes I am sure this is how it works theres no advantage to when you buy it (except for possible interest earned in a bank account).

BeanTownBrawler

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Lets say you get an ipod, and a couple months later you drop it and it breaks. Can you just get the warranty and then send it in for a new one?

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
well, no. you can only buy the warranty when its in its first year, in the original warranty period. You cant buy applecare after the first year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.