PDA

View Full Version : 40 Gig 4G iPod, remote, and carrying case

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 09:06 AM
Update at bottom of this message

Here is all the information I have for you regarding if the 40 gig comes with remote and carrying case.

I ordered a 40 gig on the 15th. The order was due to ship on the 26th. Today, I get the following e-mail from Apple:

---------------

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent order for an iPod.

Apple is thrilled to announce an exciting new generation of iPods! Your
order has been automatically upgraded to the new generation 40GB iPod,
at no additional cost. Your order will ship on or before 7/21. To check
the status of your order, please visit: <www.apple.com/OrderStatus>.

Since the Carrying Case and Remote are not included in the new 40GB
iPod package, we have added the following products to your order,
at no additional cost. They may ship separately, and will ship on
or before 7/23.
M9129G/A - IPOD CARRYING CASE
M9128G/A - IPOD REMOTE AND EARPHONES

If your order included unshipped iPod accessories that are not
compatible with the new generation iPod, we removed these items from
your order. For accessories that already shipped, we have credited
your order for the amount charged.

If you paid with a credit card or an Apple Loan, the credit to your
account should be processed within the next five business days. Once
the credit is sent to your account, it will be posted according to the
issuing banks procedures. If you paid via cashiers check, money order,
or wire transfer, a refund check will be mailed to you upon shipment
of the remaining items on your order.

Thank you for choosing Apple!
The Apple Store

---------------

Now according to the tech specs page the new iPod *does* come with these additional items. According to the store it does not seem to. I can't believe they'd leave it off the store since it's been pretty standard on the higher end iPods but I could see them possibly leaving it on the tech specs page.

I don't know if they're sending me the extra things for free as a "you already had them in your order" or because they are now not included in the iPod's box.

I'd call Apple but I'm at work. If somebody can call Apple to find out for sure, please do and post.

Update: The tech specs page now does not include the remote or the carrying case.

Aaon
Jul 19, 2004, 10:26 AM
Since the 40gb is now $100 cheaper, will you be getting the refund on that as well? I didn't see that specifically addressed in that letter. Or do the remote and case make up for it? I too was suprised at the lack of remote control mentioned on the ipod page of the Apple Store!

Aaron

atszyman
Jul 19, 2004, 10:54 AM
Since the 40gb is now $100 cheaper, will you be getting the refund on that as well? I didn't see that specifically addressed in that letter. Or do the remote and case make up for it? I too was suprised at the lack of remote control mentioned on the ipod page of the Apple Store!

Aaron

Yes the refund does apply. My order has dropped by ~$130 (they also cancelled a ~$20 cable that I don't think I needed in the first place and tax is less on the lower purchase price).

Emerson
Jul 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
If you look under tech specs it says that the 40 gig comes with a dock, remote, and carrying case.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Include Accessories

Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

atszyman
Jul 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
If you look under tech specs it says that the 40 gig comes with a dock, remote, and carrying case.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Include Accessories

Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

Yes, but as SilentPanda pointed out, those do not appear on the order page. To further this rumor Apple send the email that SilentPanda quoted in the beginning of this thread to those of us who had our orders updated.

Two places say we don't get them, one place does. If I end up with 2 sets, that's fine by me.

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 11:43 AM
My new iPod is now priced at $369 (EDU pricing). There was no charge for the additional items (as stated in the e-mail).

I am aware that the tech specs page says they are included but the ordering page seems to state otherwise and the e-mail I received seems to imply otherwise. I figured I'd post the info here to alert people to this fact. The evidence seems to point towards the 40 gig iPod not coming with the case and remote but there is indeed evidence for both.

That's why I was wondering if anybody had called Apple to find out which it is. I myself don't particularly care as I know for sure I am getting all of it.

paulypants
Jul 19, 2004, 12:00 PM
hmmmm yeah they are gone now from the tech specs page--thats kinda cheap in my opinion, but then again i never used the remote or the carrying case for my 20gb...

atszyman
Jul 19, 2004, 12:11 PM
hmmmm yeah they are gone now from the tech specs page--thats kinda cheap in my opinion, but then again i never used the remote or the carrying case for my 20gb...

Kinda cheap, but they did reduce prices by $100. Somewhere someone mentioned that the iPods had a low markup so to reduce prices by $100 they had to cut somewhere. The carrying case/headphones only add $80 to the price if you still want them so you still get a $20 price reduction. If you don't use one or the other you can get a $60 price reduction. Not bad IMHO.

Really not bad for the few who had outstanding orders and are now getting the case/phones for free. They could have stuck us with 3Gs for $100 more but they upgraded, cut our price and threw in the accessories that we were expecting. All in all a good move for happy customers.

qedigital
Jul 19, 2004, 12:59 PM
I knew that I should have taken a screenshot of those tech specs. I ordered while the case and remote were still included. While these weren't on the order page, I believe that the discrepancy is justification enough. I may have to complain as I would at least have liked to get the case until the new 4G ones are on the market.

Update: They still haven't "updated" the Apple Canada page: http://www.apple.com/ca/ipod/specs.html. Oh, and I did take a screenshot this time.

Kwyjibo
Jul 19, 2004, 03:46 PM
screenshots ppffft ... i mean apple could imply that you photoshopped them in there. the case and remote are dumb .. give em' up unless you ordered your ipod before today.

qedigital
Jul 19, 2004, 06:19 PM
I talked to Apple and they agreed to include the accessories but made it clear that they were making "a one time exception". It took a bit of prodding but I think it was worth it. Apple still hasn't fixed the problem on their Canadian tech specs.