Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
ok i know how to get the MAC address on a windows computer, but how do you get that info from a mac?

also another VERY important question... i always assumed that the ipod was compatable with windows and with macs.... but look at this quote from apples website

"iPod for Mac requires a Macintosh with built-in FireWire and Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X v10.3 or later recommended). iPod for Windows requires a PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0 port or a Windows-certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP Home or Professional. "

this quote makes it sound like the ipod you use with a mac is a different machine than the one you use for windows....

I am pretty sure that any ipod can be used on any mac or pc (that meets the stated requirements)... am i correct in this assumption????????

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
the reason

the reason i need a MAC address of a mac is that my wireless network has a MAC address filter

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...there are a few ways to see your MAC address....in System preferences look at the network pane. Or, from your Apple menu choose "About this Mac" and then "more info..." which will launch the System Profiler where you can see all kinds of cool info about your computer, including that of the network....oh yeah!

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Soc7777777 said:
I am pretty sure that any ipod can be used on any mac or pc (that meets the stated requirements)... am i correct in this assumption????????
The first gen iPods where Mac or Windows specific.

Your MAC address for WINDOWS can be found by opening a CMD windows and typing: ipconfig /all (ipconfig by itself wont do it)

Look for a line like this:

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-03-B5-53-55

Sometimes it's also right on the NIC itself as a sticker.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
the problem with the mac formatted ipods is that windows doesn´t recognize the file system (HFS+ if i´m not mistaken). mac osx recgnizes fat32 and ntfs if i´m not mistaken, so you could use a windows formatted ipod on the mac.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Soc7777777 said:

If you have a mac formatted iPod (and don't want to format for PC), try ephpod out on your windows PCs. Ive been trying it the last couple weeks, and it seems solid.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
a mac ipod will only work with a pc with ephpod if you use macopener as well. why not simply format it to windows and use it on both machines. ephpod is great software though.

check out ipodlounge.com

their faq answers pretty much all ipod questions. anything else can be answered in the forums.

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...there are a few ways to see your MAC address....in System preferences look at the network pane. Or, from your Apple menu choose "About this Mac" and then "more info..." which will launch the System Profiler where you can see all kinds of cool info about your computer, including that of the network....oh yeah!

Completely off topic but I just love Duff man's posts ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.