PDA

View Full Version : I think I have buyer's regret! Need advice


jothee
Jul 19, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. But i'm desperately in need of advice.

Here's the deal. About a month ago, after some consideration, i bought a 12" iBook, my first laptop. I had considered buying a PB but price was a factor since at the time my plan was for the ibook to be my secondary computer. I was using my imac primarily and planned to upgrade to either the (then only rumored) iMac G5 or perhaps, with a bit more saving, a G5 tower.

Within a week of getting my new ibook my imac's hd failed (it's old so i'm not too rushed about replacing it). I managed to backup just in time and saved most of my data. So for over a month now i've been using my ibook as a desktop replacement. The amazing thing is i don't miss not having a desktop, my ibook is sufficient for most things, i don't miss the larger display. Most of all though, I'm just loving the mobility of it, i can take it out with me, use it around the house, in bed, on the couch, it's great.

I realise now however that i don't really need two computers, and i can't see myself going back to a desktop for at home. This is my problem. Had i known i was buying a laptop to replace my desktop i most certainly would have gone for a Powerbook w/ superdrive. I like my ibook but it's build quality isn't as good as I'd like, plus its graphics card isn't supported by Tiger's Core Image.

A PB seems like it might last me a bit longer. I'm really annoyed with myself that i didn't think this through better.

So do i:
a) buy a PB and sell my ibook
b) stick to my orginal plan and buy an imac in September
c) just keep my ibook
d) other?

Anyway sorry for rambling, i'm very unsure what to do. Any advice, experience on this matter would great. Thanks.

mymemory
Jul 19, 2004, 06:15 PM
Dude, I have 3 Powerbooks, what can I say?

I have 2 Powerbooks G3, one in my closet and I am typing on the other one because the 12" 1Gz PB is at Apple because the Hard Drive has a problem.

The thing is that I have and external firewire 160GB hard drive with all my data and I have a 20" cinema display, and extra keyboard an mouse.

Ok, I ma picky but what I do usually is to bring my 12" PB and connect the monitor and all the peripherals. The keyboard and mouse are wireless.

What I can sugest you is to get a 12" PB extra keyboard+ mouse (with cables because wireless is a pain because of the bateries) and any monitor you want. That is is, you are all set up. And that is in the case you want a bigger monitor and stuff.

Powerbooks are very fast, the difference is the price. You could get a G5 but is you are not going to use PCI ports and you want some mobility it will not help. Despite the monitor is extra any way.

I was thinking in having a main computer as you do but... for what? unless I am in to very intensive video editing a Powerbook would do.

I would sell everything and get a 12" PB with Superdrive please.

jtgotsjets
Jul 19, 2004, 06:19 PM
I love my iBook.

I personally think that as long as price is an issue, keep the iBook, as it will certainly be a viable computer for the next few years, and when you get a chance, pick up a nice powerbook, imac, or g5. I personally wouldn't bother getting anything now.

paulypants
Jul 19, 2004, 07:28 PM
Buy an iMac G5 when they come out, otherwise you'll regret not doing what you planned in the first place :p

matthew24
Jul 19, 2004, 07:39 PM
Wait until the release of Tiger, the iMac G5 will be out by then. Give yourself some time to considerate, it will save you money, and your options will increase.

CalfCanuck
Jul 19, 2004, 09:47 PM
I bought an iBook 14" as a temporary holdover during the PB crisis last Oct/Nov, and was planning to switch back to a new powerbook (I also have the original Ti400).

But given the hassle factor on setting up a new computer, I've decided to stay with the iBook and just use an external 19" LCD and various FW hard drives (a 250 GB as my nmain storage, and a 120 GB for backup).

Have you considered an external monitor (you can span across both LCD's and get MUCH more space), or external DVD-R's (which are much faster than the internal ones)?

The advantage is that you can save the devices to use on your next generation laptop, and that the cash you save from stepping up to a PB ($1000 plus) can be set aside for a new PB G5 in 2005/2006.

homerjward
Jul 19, 2004, 09:52 PM
*sarcasm*how 'bout u fedex me ur ibook and buy a powerbook?
but seriously, i got a pc instead of a mac because of price and have regretted it ever since (only about 8 months, but still) so my recommendation would be, unless price is a serious issue, invest in the 12" sd pb because it sounds like that's what you really want and sometimes you just have to pay to get what you really want. ibooks are goin for like 1000 on amazon.com so you could probably recoup most of your losses especially if you paid edu price. just keep telling yourself the pb will last you longer because of its fasterness and metalness and coolness and whatever...sorry if it's a tad disjointed :p

Mav451
Jul 19, 2004, 09:58 PM
Well considering you got a celeron, of course you would regret it. I was waiting outside during that $800 laptop deal @ Compusa.

I told every single guy who considered getting it that they'd be sorry--hah, I convinced 3 people on the spot to go for the Pentium-M's...I imagine they're much happier now for not falling for the $800 deal (or Compusa's way of clearing inventory).

My advice is to NEVER, ever buy something b/c it is cheap. If there's something of better quality that actually suits your needs, then let go of that "oh I'll save $20 bucks (out of $800 or more of course)". Its not worth it. The same thing happened to me with buying RAM--I went with a shady retailer and they gave me memory sticks that were full of errors (i.e. the god of BSODs).

Had I went with quality sticks from a quality vendor, I wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

mwpeters8182
Jul 19, 2004, 10:10 PM
I think it's going to come down to what you plan on doing with your 'book. If the iBook is good for everything you need, then stick with it, and save up for some sort of G5 in the future.

I was debating between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook, and I decided to go with the PB because i'll be doing a lot of work in Mathematica and other math/science apps, and I knew I would have more money now than anytime in the forseeable future.

I, for one, would keep the iBook and save up for the future.

MP

jsw
Jul 19, 2004, 10:29 PM
FWIW, Apple has tended to run a 10% off sale, at least at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, the day they release a new OS. If you can wait until, say, spring, you'll likely get that 10% off and have the option to buy something faster than what you'd get now and probably still get a decent price for your iBook.

jothee
Jul 21, 2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice, folks.

I've decided to just bite the bullet and get the powerbook. Money isn't too big an issue at the moment so i might as well while i can. I still have the box belong to my ibook, so once i've transfered all my data over selling it shouldn't be difficult.

I'll probably just go for the stock 12" PB w/ Superdrive. Is it worth getting the BTO 80gig HD? Or should i just get an external drive instead? Might be cheaper.

sigamy
Jul 21, 2004, 11:52 AM
Glad that you've made up your mind. I was just about to tell you to keep the iBook and wait but...

As for upgrading the HD on the PowerBook, is the stock drive 5400rpm? If it is not you should upgrade to the faster drive. It will make a nice improvement in overall performance of the PB.

Good luck. And realize how lucky you are to have "problems" like the iBook vs. PowerBook vs. desktop debate!

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 21, 2004, 12:02 PM
The thing about Tiger and the video cards has more to do with Core technologies. If you are planning on software that uses it, you may find yourself happier with a iMac G5.

PalmHarborTchr
Jul 21, 2004, 01:02 PM
Buy the iMac......all laptops are less reliable than desktops as everything
is so tiny in the case and it is expensive to get them fixed. I think you
are better with one of each.





Dude, I have 3 Powerbooks, what can I say?

I have 2 Powerbooks G3, one in my closet and I am typing on the other one because the 12" 1Gz PB is at Apple because the Hard Drive has a problem.

The thing is that I have and external firewire 160GB hard drive with all my data and I have a 20" cinema display, and extra keyboard an mouse.

Ok, I ma picky but what I do usually is to bring my 12" PB and connect the monitor and all the peripherals. The keyboard and mouse are wireless.

What I can sugest you is to get a 12" PB extra keyboard+ mouse (with cables because wireless is a pain because of the bateries) and any monitor you want. That is is, you are all set up. And that is in the case you want a bigger monitor and stuff.

Powerbooks are very fast, the difference is the price. You could get a G5 but is you are not going to use PCI ports and you want some mobility it will not help. Despite the monitor is extra any way.

I was thinking in having a main computer as you do but... for what? unless I am in to very intensive video editing a Powerbook would do.

I would sell everything and get a 12" PB with Superdrive please.

Dave00
Jul 21, 2004, 01:16 PM
The amazing thing is i don't miss not having a desktop, my ibook is sufficient for most things, i don't miss the larger display. Most of all though, I'm just loving the mobility of it, i can take it out with me, use it around the house, in bed, on the couch, it's great.
[...]

So do i:
a) buy a PB and sell my ibook
b) stick to my orginal plan and buy an imac in September
c) just keep my ibook
d) other?

Congratulations on your new machine. The iBook G4 is a great value. You get close to what you can get with the powerbook, without the graphics card and superdrive. You can even span multiple monitors, with a freely available hack.

I'd certainly not sell the new machine and get a new powerbook. Computers are like cars, in that most of the depreciation occurs immediately. You drive a car off the lot, it's now worth $500-1000 less, even though you really haven't used it. I'd agree, a powerbook would be a better long-term investment, if you had known ahead of time you'd be happy with the use of a laptop as a desktop alternative. But, you can't fault yourself for not knowing that ahead of time.

I would continue to use the iBook for as long as it suits your needs; as software and your needs outgrow it, you'll need to replace it a few years down the road. But not now. Tiger won't be available till next year, perhaps LATE next year. No need to base a purchase today on something that won't be out for that long.

Dave

noel4r
Jul 21, 2004, 01:41 PM
When Tiger comes out, what wont my current 12" iBook 1 Ghz be able to do? What's Tiger Core Image again?

abhishekit
Jul 21, 2004, 01:46 PM
I would suggest , sell the iBook, get a new pb. This is probably the best time to buy a pb. The new g5 pbs are a long way off. You get a 20 GB iPod for 70 bucks. It never gets better.

javabear90
Jul 21, 2004, 02:04 PM
what I would do is get an imac g5 and so you have a really fast desktop, and you have an okay portable. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 21, 2004, 02:08 PM
When Tiger comes out, what wont my current 12" iBook 1 Ghz be able to do? What's Tiger Core Image again?

Best to take a look at the Apple Tiger Preview pages:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/