PDA

View Full Version : Philisophical debate

JesseJames
Jul 19, 2004, 06:07 PM
I read the novel "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy not too long ago. It has been a haunting novel. It's incredibly violent. The most violent novel I've ever read.
Anyway, one line in the book struck me.
"There are four things that can destroy this earth. Women, whiskey, money, and nig*ers."

Now before everyone flies off the handle with knee-jerk reactions just think about the quote for a moment.
In a deeper sense there is a lot of truth in this line.
Women are avaricious by their very nature. Avariciousness can cause a lot of destruction. Any guy knows that a woman can bend a man to her will. Because she has the thing he wants and he can't help himself. And he'll do stupid things to get it.
Whiskey could mean any type of drug that corrodes the mind and body.
Money is pretty self-explanatory.
And then the final one. Remember that nig*er is an extrapolation of the word 'ignorant'. And ignorance is an absence of reason. Which can also lead to destruction.
What do you think?

vniow
Jul 19, 2004, 06:15 PM
Women are avaricious by the very nature. Avariciousness can cause a lot of destruction.

Excuse me?

jsw
Jul 19, 2004, 10:54 PM
You know, when I look through history at all the destruction that's been done, I'd say that, by an overwhelming margin, it's mainly been done by men who are greedy for power and use religion/philosophy as an excuse.

And I don't think that women are as greedy as men, on the average. The word "avaricious" is typically used to refer to men, often even in definitions of the word itself.

Which of the four does Bush fall under? I think at least two of them.... ;)

jsw
Jul 19, 2004, 10:58 PM
Excuse me?

vniow:

From JesseJames: "Any guy knows that a woman can bend a man to her will."

True for women as well? ;)

BTW, hopefully your "location" quote isn't true. You seem too interesting to be dateless (based on your other posts, not this one here...).

raynegus
Jul 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
"There are four things that can destroy this earth. Women, whiskey, money, and nig*ers."

And one great big asteroid.

mymemory
Jul 19, 2004, 11:16 PM
Mm....

First, men have been in control of everything since the beganing of times and the world is not a better place. I just see white men on the control of everything (Bush) and I see no women doing something wrong in the world.

Relating niguers with ignorance is a matter of ignorance itself. In my life I never could relate one with the other. I could relte niguer with energic and wild becuse I am latin american and I can see we have a lot of influence from the african culture in those aspects but that is as far as I can go.

Wiskey... yes, every time people are depending more on drugs to be ablle to face life because of the lack of spirituality. I live in New York and I know what I am talking about.

Money simbolize power and you do not need money to have power but is a cheap way to get the power, satisfy your self some how and get what you want. Again I do not think is enough.

I'm going to write this far about the subject but those 4 points are not relevant in what is going on in the world, specially the women and nigre part. No niger in the work has kill as many people than each president of the United States and all of them are white and male.

blackfox
Jul 19, 2004, 11:17 PM
JJ, from a men's perspective, that may hold true, although you are off-base about the "avarice" with regards to women.

It has often been said that at some level everything a man does is related to women (ie an motive for actions), even if it is only in an instinctual level hard-wired into the species.

This of course, has nothing to do with women themselves, only men's relationship to them...which is why I said "from a man's perspective"...to women, it should read "man" instead...and frankly, it should to men as well, as history plainly shows...

The rest of the list is also from that perspective, of course...