PDA

View Full Version : Advice on interview recording mic

mikes70mustang
Oct 18, 2009, 11:40 PM
So i need advice on a potential microphone. Im needing a mic to record interviews for a psychology lab. It will be in a small room, and im needing it to pic up everything, every subtlety. We need to be able to hear everything since the recording will be transcribed and coded, so hearing every little sigh or hesitation is important. It seems as if condenser mics are the way to go, i also know they require phantom power which will require a small mix board. The professor over the lab said he wants the budget for the recording set up to be around $600, BUT, said he doesnt want to skimp on the mic. So im just looking for suggestions, i can research on google(which i did) for hours, but personal experience is invaluable.

zimv20
Oct 19, 2009, 02:56 AM
I'd go with an omni condenser. Any specific recommendation I have, though, would blow your budget. What about renting?

ChrisA
Oct 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
So i need advice on a potential microphone. Im needing a mic to record interviews for a psychology lab. It will be in a small room, and im needing it to pic up everything, every subtlety. We need to be able to hear everything since the recording will be transcribed and coded, so hearing every little sigh or hesitation is important. It seems as if condenser mics are the way to go, i also know they require phantom power which will require a small mix board. The professor over the lab said he wants the budget for the recording set up to be around $600, BUT, said he doesnt want to skimp on the mic. So im just looking for suggestions, i can research on google(which i did) for hours, but personal experience is invaluable.

You might be best off buying a small USB audio interface that has phantom power. That would maybe give you better quality per dollar than plugging cheap mixer into the Mac's line-in. The interface or the mixer both cost about the same but you are looking for the setup with the best preamp and A/D converter. I bet you get that with the USB audio because the A/D built into the Mac is good but not great.

Also a tiny bit of room treatment might be the best use of funds. You can do a lot for under $100, cheap rug or hang stuff on the wall,

I wonder if a stereo mic and stereo headphones would make the sound easier to hear for the person doing the transcribing. It would allow the sound to be localized.

You are not recording music. In fact your end product is not even recorded sound. What you want is speech intelligibility more than HiFi. I'd say spend 1/2 the budget on a good made in China $300 vocal condenser mic and the rest of the budget on interface, cable and stuff that might deaden the room.

mikes70mustang
Oct 19, 2009, 07:46 PM
I'd go with an omni condenser. Any specific recommendation I have, though, would blow your budget. What about renting?

Nah renting is out. If we get the grant were going for the budget may go up. Im sure a $1000 mic might be too much. I dont need accurate sound, i just need it to pick up everything, and be clear, of course. It doesn't matter if the highs, lows, or mids are inaccurate. I know ill probably need a isolator stand, and pop filter.