PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 is DOA, suggestions?

TsunamiPete
Oct 19, 2009, 06:29 PM
Just got my iBook G3 back from sister and it's DOA, wont power up period.

iBook G3 model # A1007, 800 Mhz, Tray Combo Drive, running OSX Tiger, 128K on main, 256k in slot 160 GB HD (HD about 2 years old)

She more than likely let it fall to sleep on battery and go completely dead?

I removed the slot ram and tried to restart, nada

Disconnected the keyboard and tried to restart, nada

Reset the PMU, Shift-Control-Option-Power Button (p.s. no PMU reset botton on this model)

Adapter is good it powers my G4, when I press the monitor button on the battery all 4 lights come on and remain on for about 1 mins. (Don't recall that it did that before)

I've tried to restart with battery and power cord, without battery, battery alone, cord alone.

The LED on the power cord glares Green and the battery took a charge while attached so that leads me to believe the DC in board is fine.

The iBooks never been exposed to moisture and has been a work horse of a little Mac. This is the fist mac death I've had of 10 owned, I bought my first Mac in 1986.

Any ideas I havn't thought of?

Mahalo All

Eric S.
Oct 19, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not saying this is your problem for sure, but the iBook G3 is notorious for logic board failures. I had one that died twice; the first time it was under warranty and Apple replaced it for no charge, the second time it was out of warranty and I considered it not worth fixing.

A MacInTouch study in January 2006 of iBook and Powerbook reliability concluded: "The iBook G3, which sold quite well, had the most failures of any Apple laptop we surveyed and the failures were critical (the motherboard)":

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

by affected percentage of models, the G3 iBooks were the worst by far, with more than half requiring logic board replacements. Apple created a warranty extension program for some versions, but not all. (MacInTouch readers are still reporting newly failed iBook G3s, and the warranty extension program has ended.)

The white 12" iBook G3 series became much less reliable through its first five revisions, reaching a 73% failure percentage! The last revision dropped to a 49% failure percentage much improved over the previous model, but still unconscionably high.