Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
So after I SSH'd into my ATV and install the Perian plugins to play xvid files, how exactly would I get the video files onto my ATV? It won't go through iTunes, so does that mean I need an external HD? I tried a USB stick, but nothing pops up when I put it in. Please help

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks, but do you or anyone else have an updated tutorial? That one's from 2007 and doesn't explain how to do it on the newer ATVs.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have been running XBMC and Boxee on my Apple TV, and love it.

I use the Apple TV interface for music, pictures and youtube. I use the XBMC interface for watching all of my movies. It is the best of both worlds since I had converted a lot of my movies to XVID when I was on Windows. I stream from my iMac to the Apple TV via wireless. The only files I actually store on my Apple TV are pictures.

XBMC allows you to watch pretty much any format, even DVD iso. I was pretty impressed by the fact that I can stream an uncompressed DVD iso via wireless without a hiccup.

So far, the only thing I use Boxee for, really, is to use ShoutCast to listen to some stations...

For info on how to install XBMC and Boxee, follow the instructions at this link:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV#HOW-TO_install_XBMC_on_your_Apple_TV

For me, the Apple TV + XBMC is excellent. The only functionality that it does not provide is NetFlix, but that has to do with the issue of Silver Light running on the Apple TV...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.