PDA

View Full Version : A couple Questions on Windows/Mac External Hard Drive

MBPro825
Oct 19, 2009, 09:51 PM
Ok I bought a new LaCie 1TB External Hard Drive that works for both the windows and mac computer. I know that windows 7 saves files with different file formats than Mac OS X does. I am planning on getting windows 7 when it comes out and installing it with bootcamp on my MBP. When I install windows 7 will I have to partition the external hard drive as well as the internal hard drive? Or could I install windows 7 by itself on the external hard drive? Another question I had is if I install windows 7 on the internal hard drive will the external hard drive accept the file formats from both OS's at the same time? Or if you have another suggestion that would be great as well. I am just kind of looking for advice of how to do this. Thanks in advance.

gugucom
Oct 20, 2009, 12:05 AM
Windows cannot be installed to external drives.

If the LaCie is a NAS it will have an internal server that works with Windows and OS X. In that case you cannot change the file format because it is internal (probably a Linux format).

If the LaCie is simply a disk connected by Firewire or USB you can split it like the internal drive into partitions and use NTFS for Windows and HFS+ for OS X. You need to find that out.

There is also the way to store all in HFS+. You can make Windows clones with Winclone and that could become your backup.