PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seed OS (ASO)

slooksterPSV
Jul 20, 2004, 04:28 AM
Apple should make a Pocket Mac and call it Apple Seed OS, AOS for short. They should give it features that are in Macs already. They could take part in a growing market if they just took this idea. Anyone want to start a petition for getting a Pocket Mac out in the market? Anyone maybe made one from old parts? Example:

[----------------------------------------------]
Take the casing of an old iPaq or whatever, solder on some ram chips, maybe a 2.5" hard drive, color LCD and put mac OS 8.0 or even 8.6 (if the Processor is small enough for PPC processor). If someone can do this lets see it, take pictures, send them to Apple.
[----------------------------------------------]

I think Apple Seed OS is a cleaver idea if I must say so myself. Any ideas on what it would include and that (I mean my gosh, linux has its own pocket pc)

JFreak
Jul 20, 2004, 05:31 AM
if everybody else has a pocket pc, does it mean that apple also has to have one? it was apple who created the market in the first place, but abandoned it as they saw no real potential in there after all.

how many of us would like to carry something larger than a phone with you all the time? i had a nokia communicator once and while it feels nice for some time, it's not so nice thing in the long run. it's too big for a phone, and cannot function as a laptop. there's not so much need for such a device. and imagine one without a phone integrated into it - that's just useless, because you would have to have the phone with you, too. it's not so much more dead weight to carry a fully-functional laptop if the phone is not enough.

steve jobs is a wise man :)

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 07:33 AM
clever...this time the thread isn't "apple pda". now i was tricksed into visiting it.
seriously though, while im sure they could spend time developing a lighter version of os x, i dont think they want to. with the system requirements getting a bit more stringent with each new release, and with the amount of ram needed to run the current incarnation effectively, i dont see why they'd want to take development backwards to run on a 300-400mhz mobile processor.
and since they've long since ended development on older OSes they wouldn't suddenly reincarnate them.
and while im sure they have a newton OS somewhere, why throw yet another OS on the market?
its a nice idea, but making a product for a niche market thats actively shrinking despite some amazing innovations by existing companies means there's no apple pda anytime soon. :-(

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 09:28 AM
clever...this time the thread isn't "apple pda". now i was tricksed into visiting it.

I know... I was tricked in the same way! :)

My response in short: Don't hold your breath. ;)

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 09:47 AM
My response in short: Don't hold your breath. ;)

good. hypoxia was about to set in.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 10:25 AM
good. hypoxia was about to set in.

:eek: lol :D

dhns
Jul 20, 2004, 10:27 AM
Well, how far are we gone that we even don't want to discuss about an Apple PDA any more? The only reason I can see is that there is (was) much demand and discussion that is and will not be fulfilled. Do we accept that?

I understand and agree that a too small and declining PDA market makes no sense for Apple to enter again (and the iPod market is growing and much larger).

But IMHO people separate too much between PDAs, PDA-Phones, and Smartphones and therefore do not see the reason why PDAs are declining. They are simply being overtaken by PDA-Phones (especially Blackberry) and the combined PDA+Smartphones market is large and (again) growing.

So, an Apple Smartphone (iBerry?) might still have a bright future (being a PDA form like the MDA II or some of the creative ideas from www.applele.com). And regarding the "ASO", there is a nice product out there (but not well marketed by its manufacturer): the Linux based Sharp Zaurus C860.

And there is even an effort to port GNUstep (sort of Cocoa/OS X) onto that device to give Apple a leg-up. Still very far away from the graphical design experience of the Apple GUI - but a first step.

Just my 2 cents,
hns

Abstract
Jul 20, 2004, 10:46 AM
There's so much of a demand for PDA's that even Sony backed out of it, and they OWNED the Palm market.

dhns
Jul 20, 2004, 11:46 AM
There's so much of a demand for PDA's that even Sony backed out of it, and they OWNED the Palm market.
Yes, they owned the Palm market - but not the combined PDA+Smartphone. And they continue to make better and better Smartphones at Sony-Ericsson.

And if you read the latest market reports it shows that the Palms etc. are replaced by Blackberries. And Phones will have Blackberry integrated.

So, the unconnected PDA is dead. Long lives the Wireless PDA (however it is called it is a Personal Digital Assistent).

bousozoku
Jul 20, 2004, 12:40 PM
Apple already has a light version of Mac OS X running on iPod, so they don't need another. If they wanted to do a PDA or licence their operating system, they would have done so already.

edesignuk
Jul 20, 2004, 12:49 PM
argh! I was tricked! here's me clicking the link thinking it might be something interesting, and all it is is *another* apple pda thread :eek:

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/different.jpg

dhns
Jul 20, 2004, 12:56 PM
Apple already has a light version of Mac OS X running on iPod, so they don't need another. If they wanted to do a PDA or licence their operating system, they would have done so already.
No, the iPod OS has nothing common with MacOS X and is not even owned by Apple.

AFAIK the iPod uses http://www.rtxc.com/products/operating_systems/rtxc32/ as described on http://www.ashpool.com/strategy/2004/07/inside_ipod/

dhns
Jul 20, 2004, 12:59 PM
argh! I was tricked! here's me clicking the link thinking it might be something interesting, and all it is is *another* apple pda thread
:confused: Why isn't discussing an apple smartphone thread not interesting? Just because it is *another* one?

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well, how far are we gone that we even don't want to discuss about an Apple PDA any more? The only reason I can see is that there is (was) much demand and discussion that is and will not be fulfilled. Do we accept that?

I understand and agree that a too small and declining PDA market makes no sense for Apple to enter again (and the iPod market is growing and much larger).

no no no. I dont want to discuss an apple pda again because it is an impossibility. hell, id rather discuss g5 powerbooks.

So, an Apple Smartphone (iBerry?) might still have a bright future (being a PDA form like the MDA II or some of the creative ideas from www.applele.com). And regarding the "ASO", there is a nice product out there (but not well marketed by its manufacturer): the Linux based Sharp Zaurus C860.

No, no, no. Smartphones are doing well now, but they are still niche-y in their marketshare. Most people are happy with a paper organizer or ical on their home/office computer. In addition, smartphones and the related tech are ridiculously expensive, and only succeed with rebates and incentives for signing up with data plans, etc.
do you see apple selling anything at a rebate/loss???? do you want a cingular wireless rep stalking you through an apple store? do you want to see apple take a HUGE hit against companies like nokia and kyocera who do nothing but make smartphones and cell phones? The smart phone market is expanding but its still small. and some of its "growing" marketshare is just consumers moving from a palm V to a treo 600, for example. they aren't going to migrate off palm or win.ce without a damn good reason. its a nice thought, but i just dont see it being viable from a hardware sales standpoint. technologically it can be done. but sales-wise, its a poor move. there's way too many factors to consider for a smartphone, especially an oversaturated market and having to slash msrp's through deals with providers.

slooksterPSV
Jul 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
Wow so many of you are against the idea. Thanks for the link to the RXTC OS site, that has some interesting stuff on it. But honestly the reason the Newton didn't do well is well because no one ever heard of it, I had to look at a mac museum website just to figureout what it was. Apple could still get into the market if they integrated a color LCD into an iPod that had an apple type OS on the 15+GB hard drives they already have in them.

I bought a Toshiba E330 and soon I'm going to buy a 256MB SD Card for it, put music and games on it so that I can listen to music and be doing something while on the road all while having my contacts and the ability to connect to the internet (if I buy the $120 Bluetooth SD Card).

Apple already has the power to do most of these things, but why they won't do it is beyond me. Consider it though, if they put a color LCD screen on the iPod, an OS that takes up 200MB at least on the iPod, touch screen ability, keyboard and wireless accessories, ability to play games and connect controllers, all of this they could do and sell it to the consumer for about $300. I would definately buy one, who cares about the processor speed and RAM it can cache it to the 20GB drive and the processor doesn't really matter. More people would buy an iPod+PDA w/OS because they can have their music, an OS, everything they need for only $300.

Thats my 2cents cause I started this Thread

PS: The reason I said 200MB OS is because that would be a considerable powerful OS, and for 300 I think it may be more like $400 but it would still be a good produce, look at the Dell Axims, they are up to $500, I could save my money and buy a 700MHz laptop for that much.

mischief
Jul 20, 2004, 01:34 PM
Please, for you're own safety.... Do a search of the forums on this topic. It's been discussed to death and it's pretty clear once you dig into the subject that PDAs are a transitional product without a future.

The Cell market is one of the most vicious industries going right now. Entering it right now would be suicidal for Apple. The tooling costs alone in constructing anything other than a Tablet PC variant of iBook would make the thing too expensive to produce.

seamuskrat
Jul 20, 2004, 01:37 PM
I think for Apple to succeed in this market, they would need to be revolutionary. Do something that no one knew they even needed 10 days ago.

Much like the iPod. At first, people were not sure why they needed a 5 gig portable music player.

If they developed a device, wholly unlike anything out there, that people just suddenly realized they needed, then Apple would have a great device.

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 03:00 PM
mischief is right. why enter a vicious market where the goal is to undercut?

the newton failed for a myriad of reasons. there are all new ones for not entering the pda market.

think about it this way-those of you clamoring for apple to put a hard drive in a smartphone or pda, how much do you think such a beast would cost? my guess, based on ipod pricing and small hdd availability: $600.00-$800.00. Way out of the realistic range. Why? the r&d, development of a mobile OS, the lcd screen, etc. and do you think apple would want to license SD technology or would they build their own proprietary cards?
apple revolutionized the mp3 market, its true. But they did it before it exploded, not in the device thick aftereffect. imagine if someone else made an ipod-like device, it became huge, and along came apple now...see what i mean?

maybe the best bet on this over-exhausted topic is to add links to "apple pda" threads to the faq, so people will find them faster without having yet another "why wont apple make a pda" thread.

(and i want that to happen for the sake of these boards, not because the cynical geek in me instinctively begins posting every time this comes up.)