PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Network Laser Printer advice?

Dunepilot
Jul 20, 2004, 05:39 AM
Hi there,

where I work we have an HP 2100TN network laser printer that is starting to show its age (it jams constantly), and our finance manager has asked me to identify a replacement for it.

We basically need another mono laser printer that will do the job, printing a couple of hundred pages of text a day, and most importantly, reduce the number of jams we're having. With the current setup the driver work nicely with all of the windows machines on the network (mostly Win98) but if I want to print anything from my iBook, it just sees the printer as an IP Printer and does a lovely job of it, as expected (wirelessly).

Any suggestions of anecdotes related to currently-available printers would be most gratefully received. In particular, the HP LaserJet Mono 4200ln 4m seems to be the closest thing to a replacement for our current printer, so anyone who has experience of using this, its reliability etc., please do chip in with your thoughts.

mowogg
Jul 20, 2004, 03:24 PM
We have an HP 8150 which is nice. It doesn't jam and is Rendezvous enabled so there is no set up in OS X. We have a mixed platform environment (OS X, various shades of Windows and a number of OS 9 machines) and it works well with everything. It also prints tabloid which is a nice feature if you print a lot of spreadsheets.

Dunepilot
Jul 21, 2004, 09:14 AM
We have an HP 8150 which is nice. It doesn't jam and is Rendezvous enabled so there is no set up in OS X. We have a mixed platform environment (OS X, various shades of Windows and a number of OS 9 machines) and it works well with everything. It also prints tabloid which is a nice feature if you print a lot of spreadsheets.

Thanks for the advice, mowogg, but we have a smaller budget than that (I'd say probably under a grand) and only need an A4 printer - does anyone else have any experience they'd like to share?

mowogg
Jul 21, 2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice, mowogg, but we have a smaller budget than that (I'd say probably under a grand) and only need an A4 printer - does anyone else have any experience they'd like to share?

Hey, no problem. We also have an HP 5000n and it's a good printer too. They run about $900 (check on Pricegrabber.com) and are network capable.

Best luck!