PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drives .....

sharksailor
Jul 20, 2004, 06:10 AM
What brands do you like??
i've heard not such great things about Lacie drives...
i will be using it for video files (FCP)
i'm looking for a 250 GB one....thanks!!
-EdH

Sharewaredemon
Jul 20, 2004, 07:44 AM
I have a LaCie D2 120 gb drive and it hasn't givin me any troubles at all. From what I have read if you are going to be doing video work, and you have fw 800 on your mac, try to get a drive that has a fw 800 port on it. Also this doesn't apply now, but if you wanted more space, it is better to have mutiple 250 drives (for instance), than one big hard drive. This is because if one drive fails, you don't lose everything if you have more than one.

virividox
Jul 20, 2004, 08:28 AM
weibetech

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 08:30 AM
I have an EZQuest Cobra, it's just rebranded, but I'm not positive as to the manufacturer of the actual drive inside is (It's open on my desk at home, I'll have to check then). But I have never had any troubles with it.

krimson
Jul 20, 2004, 11:33 AM
all of mine are custom built. (Bytecc FW cases)
IMO, there really isn't that much of a difference between "brand name" and a BYO.

astro
Jul 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
For FCP I like SATA with the Hitachi/IBM drives, or 800 firewire 8mb buffer Mercury Elite Pro drives from OWC.
If you have an older ATA66, then FirmTek's ATA133 PCI card is a good solution for less then Sonnet's card to run SATA.
Doing some research, Other World Computing came up quite a bit as a great mac resource, and use good chipsets, and drives in their Mercury Elite Pro drives.
So far I've only heard good things about them, and the drives they offer.
I too have heard disparaging remarks regarding LaCie drives. But I have a d2
I do use.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Directory.cfm?Parent=3&Title=Hard%20Drives%20%26%20CD%20Drives&Template=HardDrives%2Fhdgui2%5Fcfm%2Ehtml

Bhennies
Jul 26, 2004, 02:31 PM
For FCP I like SATA with the Hitachi/IBM drives, or 800 firewire 8mb buffer Mercury Elite Pro drives from OWC.
If you have an older ATA66, then FirmTek's ATA133 PCI card is a good solution for less then Sonnet's card to run SATA.
Doing some research, Other World Computing came up quite a bit as a great mac resource, and use good chipsets, and drives in their Mercury Elite Pro drives.
So far I've only heard good things about them, and the drives they offer.
I too have heard disparaging remarks regarding LaCie drives. But I have a d2
I do use.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Directory.cfm?Parent=3&Title=Hard%20Drives%20%26%20CD%20Drives&Template=HardDrives%2Fhdgui2%5Fcfm%2EhtmlI have two OWC FW800 8MB cache drives and they are amazing. The people there are very nice and helpful as well.

I PERSONALLY have had bad experiences with Lacie products (both hard drives and CDRW drives) and I will never buy one again.

King Cobra
Jul 26, 2004, 03:53 PM
OWC Neptune 80GB External: Went from I/O errors, to not being recognized, to not being able to erase the drive altogether, to me being shocked that after light-researching top model external hard drive brands with Neptune on top, the first Neptune drive failed on me ...all on Day 1. Awaiting a replacement 80GB model.

OWC Neptune 160GB External: Works fine. No lost personal data.

TreeHugger
Jul 26, 2004, 08:24 PM
I have a 120 GB Western Digital Firewire/USB 2.0 external harddrive. nothing special just a little loud (I have gotten pretty used to it) and it tends to warm up a bit but it gets the job done. was a great value too...

rand()
Aug 2, 2004, 06:26 PM
We're using all Lacie 160GB at work. We've got 14, hooked up to various eMacs/iMacs/PowerMacs.

We have had a few go down, in two years now. One was after a lightning storm; and the FW port it was hooked to was fried too. The other was a clumsy student who decided (without asking, mind you) he was going to take one of the drives to another lab to transfer files and dropped it on a nice, hard tile floor on the way. Ouch.

So aside from a few uncontrollable incidences, my experience with LaCie has been pretty good. And their customer service reps were quite friendly, and helped me get them in and back relatively quickly.

-rand()

rareflares
Aug 2, 2004, 08:19 PM
what's the best one i can get for under $100?

Mord
Aug 3, 2004, 07:13 AM
for cheapness build your own but make sure you get an ox 911 chip set and avoid usb like the black death.