PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Iphone Code Signing Process

Digital Chaos
Oct 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,
I want to test my app on my iPod but I got a bit confused trying to understand the the code signing process :confused:.

*Is the Distribution Certificate my company's unique Identifier and hence I only need to generate it once? Is Development certificate needed for every programmer/tester? Do I need to create a different distribution/development certificate for each application?

*What does provisioning profile mean? Do I need a new profile for every application or do I use one for all? What’s the deference between provisioning profile to development/distribution certificate?

*What is the difference between development profile and distribution? Can I test my app on my device with a development profile (but without registering it on the portal as a device)?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers:)

firewood
Oct 20, 2009, 12:56 PM
You need to register your device ID in the portal, and use a provision that had that device ID checkmarked to test on that device.

A provision can't be used for cabled debug testing without a development certificate (and a WW* certificate).

You do not need a distribution profile for cabled debug testing.

You can use wildcards for multiple device IDs, although you can't test some of the new 3.x cloud API's if you do so.

Digital Chaos
Oct 21, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Can I test my app on that device with a development profile without registering it in the portal?

Appreciate if you could also refer to all of my other questions as well.

10x!

firewood
Oct 21, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hi,

Can I test my app on that device with a development profile without registering it in the portal?

Not on a stock Apple device with any app not from the App store.
Not with any development profile alone, you need a provision for device testing.

You need a registered device ID, and app ID and a profile to create a usable provision in the portal, IIRC.