Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhokung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I came across this site while looking for a new powerbook. Currently, it has a promotion for 50% off all powerbooks! Not to mention 50% off Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops, the 20GB Ipod is only $255.95!! :eek:

http://stores.thepstwebstore.com/StoreFront.bok

Obviously, these deals are a bit unbelievable, and was wondering if anyone has also come across this site and has good or bad things to say about it.

I emailed the person in charge, and received this auto-response email:

Hello, and I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience for those that have placed
orders and not received their product. I am currently on an emergency trip out
of state, and will not return until August 2, so you may contact me by phone or
email and indicate the urgency of your order: whether you need it immediately,
or would like a refund.

This was quickly followed up by a response from the person saying:

Here are two quick and concise answers to your
questions: 1) The deal is indefinite and 2) All
payments must be made by check or money order to take
advantage of the sale.
***My questions were:****
1. When does this deal expire?
2. What's the catch? Your prices are quite unbelievable, and I'd appreciate some reassurance that this isn't too good to be true.

Sounds very fishy to me...I tried to call but the phone rang forver without any machine picking up...

Please check it out! :confused:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It is a scam!!!

No one legit will sell you a computer at 50% off unless they're a very generous close relative, and even then you should beware. Always beware of "too good to be true" prices and vendors that you can't call on the phone.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And you should really check out this thread for another common scam.

No one legitimate will sell you new Apple computers at any sort of discount without being a student, or an Apple developer, and, even then, those discounts are 5%-20%. And you need documentation to get them.

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
If you do decide to buy

make sure you use your credit card. If it is a scam you can get your money back if you use your credit card, otherwise it's gone.
The Macfantaic/whizshop/whatever their name is today suckered people in by telling them that they accept credit cards, but would always come back with some phony reason why they couldn't for your case.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jsw said:
No one legitimate will sell you new Apple computers at any sort of discount without being a student, or an Apple developer, and, even then, those discounts are 5%-20%. And you need documentation to get them.

Just to echo, regarding the (2) response he gave, even taking into account the fact that the seller can save some money by not supporting credit cards, the cost to the vendor for the credit card system is at most going to be 10% of the price -- 5% at most for the per-item charge the card company makes (I think AMEX is 5%) and then the other 5% for distributed costs of the capital expenditure (card readers, etc).

:mad: SCAM!!!! :mad:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I liked this part:

"NOTE!: We are rarely in the office to accept phone calls, and are more prompt with email responses! Please email us with your questions, comments and concerns for most effective communication!"

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
carletonmusic said:
I liked this part:

"NOTE!: We are rarely in the office to accept phone calls, and are more prompt with email responses! Please email us with your questions, comments and concerns for most effective communication!"

Well, you know, when your office is on an off-shore site in the Carribean where US trade laws don't apply, well, it's a tough call to sit by the phone instead of going out on the beach. And the last time I took the cordless out there, well, it got sand in it, and I spilled my margarita on it, and it was just a mess.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
It's *always* too good to be true. Think about it, why on earth would they sell laptops at 50% off Retail? They could just as easily sell them on ebay for full price. It doesn't make any sense, because they're just trying to squeeze any amount of money from you... Don't buy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.