PDA

View Full Version : Can I Install Internal Bluetooth In My iBook?

Littleodie914
Jul 20, 2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Mac hardware gurus, I have a question for ya. I purchased my iBook G4 a while back, skimping on the internal bluetooth module, not thinking I'd have a use for it. I went to CompUSA the other day though, and wanted to purchase one of Apple's wireless mice (they're so cool). Upon examining the side of the box, however, I realized that the mouse required a bluetooth-capable mac of sorts. I know that you can purchase other third-party USB bluetooth thingys, but I might as well just buy a wireless laptop mouse that comes with one. I don't want to have one of those things sticking out of the side of my iBook, however. Is there any way to purchase one of those Apple internal bluetooth modules and install it myself? Thanks!

robbieduncan
Jul 20, 2004, 09:19 AM
Basically no. It's not for sale anywhere, so even if it was possible to solder it to the motherboard you can't even try.

Sorry.

denm316
Jul 20, 2004, 09:21 AM
nope

jsw
Jul 20, 2004, 09:22 AM
FWIW, the little Bluetooth dongle isn't too horribly bad - worse than internal, yes, but not bad, and getting it and a BT mouse as opposed to a standard wireless mouse - since both use dongles - means that you could use other BT capabilities, such as synching with a cell phone or using it as a modem, which you might not need now but which you'd get for "free" with the dongle. I mean, if you're going to have to plug something in, why not plug in something that might be useful in other ways?

Finiksa
Jul 20, 2004, 09:35 AM
Basically no. It's not for sale anywhere, so even if it was possible to solder it to the motherboard you can't even try.

Just to clarify the BT module isn't soldered to the logic board it plugs into a blind mate connector. All the same, it's incredibly difficult to install.

You probably could pester an Apple service centre into ordering the part, but the price Apple would charge for it would be insanely expensive without an identical damaged part being returned.

So it's essentially doable but not really worth trying.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 11:01 AM
:( Sorry mate.

Littleodie914
Jul 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
Alright, thanks for all your advice. I guess an external dongle wouldn't be bad, I'll just have to remember to throw in the extra $50 next time. :rolleyes: Heading out to grab me a dongle! (haha)

mpopkin
Jul 20, 2004, 02:02 PM
no and installing one would void the warranty

Hey Mac hardware gurus, I have a question for ya. I purchased my iBook G4 a while back, skimping on the internal bluetooth module, not thinking I'd have a use for it. I went to CompUSA the other day though, and wanted to purchase one of Apple's wireless mice (they're so cool). Upon examining the side of the box, however, I realized that the mouse required a bluetooth-capable mac of sorts. I know that you can purchase other third-party USB bluetooth thingys, but I might as well just buy a wireless laptop mouse that comes with one. I don't want to have one of those things sticking out of the side of my iBook, however. Is there any way to purchase one of those Apple internal bluetooth modules and install it myself? Thanks!

Mord
Jul 20, 2004, 02:12 PM
if i were you i would do it all it requires is finding an apple center (a non apple one) and ask if they could order the bit as a service part

you would need service part 922-6188 (internal cable) and service part 922-6256 an antenna, a holder type thing 922-6146 and the card itself 922-5764 the card is only $32

if you can get the parts and you have 3 hours to install them you can do it.

in the unlikely event that you are insane enough to bother please post pictures

stevehaslip
Jul 20, 2004, 03:19 PM
if i were you i would do it all it requires is finding an apple center (a non apple one) and ask if they could order the bit as a service part

you would need service part 922-6188 (internal cable) and service part 922-6256 an antenna, a holder type thing 922-6146 and the card itself 922-5764 the card is only $32

nice! thats some pretty impressive info there Hector! ;)

the bluetooth dongle things don't cost much, the ones i've seen are quite good but they take up a usb port which is anoying. it'd be cool to get it installed internally but it depends how easily you could get it done.

Littleodie914
Jul 25, 2004, 09:31 PM

in the unlikely event that you are insane enough to bother please post pictures Very spiffy! Where exactly did you obtain this information? And no, I just purchased a mini GE wireless mouse (which works like a charm), so I don't think I'll be worrying about the bluetooth-ness. And you're right, the dongle really isn't that bad. :)

Mord
Jul 26, 2004, 06:01 AM
when your studying for apple tech exams (which i am) you have acsess to a big data base if service parts

guoxiaolei
Nov 28, 2004, 02:12 PM

hi hector,

do you think i can install those parts to my new ibook G4 12'' 1.2GHz?

do you think i can follow the take apart manual for G4 12'' 800GHz to disassemble my ibook?(that is the only manual i have, and i haven't found any take apart manual for my model)

these are the parts number that i found, but i'm not quite sure which set is correct:

bluetooth board : 922-5764
micro usb cable : 922-6126/922-6188
bluetooth antenna : 922-6563/922-6256
antenna board holder: 922-6146

i would appreciate it very much if i get answered.
thank you very much

mkrishnan
Nov 28, 2004, 04:09 PM
Here are a couple more useful links...

First, even if you don't do it, just for enjoying the ingenuity...this person found a way to install a USB BT dongle on the inside of the iBook:

http://www3.telus.net/thewitt/BT/

I dunno how good the reception would be, but this person seems happy.

And then this website has service manuals for different macs, including the iBook G4. They have excellent details on how to take apart the iBook, how to access various components, and so on, with lots of photos. They don't look like Apple made them. *Gulp* hope this doesn't violate any copyrights, but someone did an outstanding job for free manuals.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

guoxiaolei
Nov 28, 2004, 07:00 PM
Here are a couple more useful links...

First, even if you don't do it, just for enjoying the ingenuity...this person found a way to install a USB BT dongle on the inside of the iBook:

http://www3.telus.net/thewitt/BT/

I dunno how good the reception would be, but this person seems happy.

And then this website has service manuals for different macs, including the iBook G4. They have excellent details on how to take apart the iBook, how to access various components, and so on, with lots of photos. They don't look like Apple made them. *Gulp* hope this doesn't violate any copyrights, but someone did an outstanding job for free manuals.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

hi mkrishnan,

thank you for your advices and suggestions.
however, i've read that article quite recently, his idea is very good, but seems not to work.

i got the manual from the website you provided, but it's only for ibook 12''G4 800MHz, and they don't have those for 1.0GHz or 1.2GHz. that's why i'm asking if those models are the same for taking apart.

thank you for your help. thanks a lot.

mkrishnan
Nov 28, 2004, 07:41 PM
i got the manual from the website you provided, but it's only for ibook 12''G4 800MHz, and they don't have those for 1.0GHz or 1.2GHz. that's why i'm asking if those models are the same for taking apart.

I have the 800 MHz, so I'm not super sure, but I think that the internals are basically the same. That is, all the components are in the same places and the attachments are in the same places / mechanisms, even if the components are somewhat different. But make sure to get the right document based on your LCD screen size (12" or 14"), because I think those are slightly different.

Mord
Nov 30, 2004, 11:13 AM
contact me on aim and i will give you the manual