PDA

View Full Version : The new 20" Apple Cinema Display

MacBytes
Jul 20, 2004, 10:00 AM
Category: Photos
Link: The new 20\" Apple Cinema Display (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040720110014)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

yamabushi
Jul 20, 2004, 10:12 AM
Beautiful. Much better than the old model in my opinion. I just need to decide on how much screen space I need. I'm leaning toward the 23".

Those pics are really nice. Thanks go out to the proud owner for putting them up.

crenz
Jul 20, 2004, 10:16 AM
Beautiful! I'd love to have one of these. Well, anybody would, I guess. :-)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 10:40 AM
It's incredible. It's like the ultimate refinement of form. Makes me wish I could afford one! :o Ah well.

Mainyehc
Jul 20, 2004, 10:52 AM
Those iPod-like edges with 3G iPod-like touch-sensitive buttons really show that the new trend in Apple's design is the combination between white/translucent plastic and aluminium... The iPod mini is also aluminium with a white clickwheel, and the new iPod, the inverse (translucent white with a silver-like clickwheel). Which leads me to believe that the white peripherals will stay white, and probably, the new iMac will be mostly white plastic, with a few hints of aluminium here and there (I guess the back of the 4G iPod stayed in that scratch-prone chrome because its look is already iconic... changing that would be risky, however, in most of the shots of the new iPod, you can't see its sides... Is Apple dumping the chrome in the 5G's?). What do you think about all this? It kind of makes sense to me. :)
Btw, that screen looks SO DAMN GORGEOUS!
Now I'm REALLY lusting over a 2,5GHz G5 and a 20'' Cinema Display to go with it... My 17'' iMac G4 1,25GHz just isn't enough (should I wait for the upcoming iMac G5 instead? :confused: ) :D

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the metal is there to aid in the dissipation of heat. Plastic does not dissipate heat nearly as well, and without a fan, (and such little extra inner airspace) I fear the iPod would overhead (as it is just a regular HD).

I doubt that will change unless they figure out a different method of efficient heat dissipation.

Sabbath
Jul 20, 2004, 11:21 AM
I really like the look of these new displays now, as I keep saying the head on view Apple use alot in it's pictures is really not very flattering but the more and more I see of these displays the more I like them. No way I can afford to upgrade in the near future however, but atleast it will give me an excuse to get a 23" (up from 20") when I can finally afford it.

Mainyehc
Jul 20, 2004, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the metal is there to aid in the dissipation of heat. Plastic does not dissipate heat nearly as well, and without a fan, (and such little extra inner airspace) I fear the iPod would overhead (as it is just a regular HD).

I doubt that will change unless they figure out a different method of efficient heat dissipation.

But of course!!! I didn't suggest that they replaced that chrome metal (whatever it is) with plastic! They could replace it with anodized aluminum... And thus, they could have the bigger iPod in colours!! Unless you hated the original iMacs and iBooks, you've got to agree with me on the fact that the combination of white and colour looks great. Then, the click-wheel could be the same colour as the back, and the large iPod would finally be a bit more coherent with the mini. ;)
IMHO, the mix of white plastic with anodized aluminium (whether it's silver or coloured) looks great! Bring on the 5G iPods with colours, and some compelling new features, whatever they are... I love my 3G 20GB and I'm not gonna replace it until the 5th or 6th generation, so anyway...
And bring on the new iMac, in the same combination of white plastic and aluminium. My guess: Apple likes to make aluminium stuff, but has to maintain a distinction between pro and consumer lines. But they just can't help it, so, they decided to be more flexible, and their products are going to be like the Yin-Yang: The pro line is already mostly aluminium with a bit of white plastic, and the consumer line will be mostly white plastic with some aluminium parts, preferrably also coloured aluminium. Think of an iMac with an aluminium "neck" and Apple badge, instead of the chrome ones found in the iMac G4. Just my 0,02 ;)

SuperChuck
Jul 20, 2004, 02:24 PM
I really like the look of these new displays now, as I keep saying the head on view Apple use alot in it's pictures is really not very flattering but the more and more I see of these displays the more I like them. No way I can afford to upgrade in the near future however, but atleast it will give me an excuse to get a 23" (up from 20") when I can finally afford it.

Tell me about it.

I thought they were kinda ugly until I saw these pics. How is it possible that some amateur shots taken in an Apple Store are more flattering than the promo shots? I think Apple needs a new photographer.

bjoggi
Jul 20, 2004, 02:50 PM
Tell me about it.

I thought they were kinda ugly until I saw these pics. How is it possible that some amateur shots taken in an Apple Store are more flattering than the promo shots? I think Apple needs a new photographer.

Thank you very much, nice compliment : )

And I do agree with you, the pictures on apple.com don't show the great design of the displays... my pictures show them pretty well.

Thanks again : )

bjoggi
Jul 20, 2004, 02:56 PM
Tell me about it.

I wouldn't say amateur though.. my biggest hobby is taking pictures, though it's been a while since I took pictures...

I took these pics with a digital crappy camera, to be able to share it with you, Apple users.

I would have rather used my old Nikon..