PDA

View Full Version : Apple Introduces Magic Mouse - A Multi-Touch Mouse

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Oct 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20/apple-introduces-magic-mouse-a-multi-touch-mouse/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/20/121957-magicm_500.jpg

Apple introduced a new multi-touch mouse today called "Magic Mouse" (http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/). The mouse uses the same multi-touch technology found in the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Mac notebook trackpads. The entire surface of the mouse is a seamless multi-touch surface.

The new mouse comes standard with the new iMacs introduced today and is also available separately for $69."Apple is the Multi-Touch leader, pioneering the use of this innovative technology in iPhone, iPod touch and Mac notebook trackpads," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Apple's Multi-Touch technology allows us to offer an easy to use mouse in a simple and elegant design."

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/20/122036-gestures_500.jpg

The gesture commands allow users to scroll through documents, pan across images, or swipe to move forward or backward through web pages or photos. It is said to work for both left and right handed users and gesture commands can be configured in the System Preferences. Magic Mouse is Bluetooth wireless enabled and will be available at the end of October.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Magic Mouse - A Multi-Touch Mouse (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/20/apple-introduces-magic-mouse-a-multi-touch-mouse/)

thegoldenmackid
Oct 20, 2009, 11:36 AM
Still not buying it.

GoCubsGo
Oct 20, 2009, 11:37 AM
Still not buying it.

Why? And we get that you're not buying it. I will buy.

Apple Store Southpoint (Durham NC) and Crabtree (Raleigh NC) both do not have it until next week. Well, technically crabtree said something stupid, but we'll call it next week. ;)

I'm interested in it.

ltldrummerboy
Oct 20, 2009, 11:38 AM
Maybe not the best mouse, but it beats the Mighty Mouse by a good deal.

cumanzor
Oct 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
Do want!!!!

:eek:

The Samurai
I'm getting one. Looks REALLY sleek.

Apple cash registers will be going CHA-CHING tonight so they will.

themoonisdown09
I'll be ordering it as soon as the Apple store is back up.

CQd44
Oct 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
They've done it! An even less ergonomic and harder to use mouse! :eek:

born4sky
I am so buying one )

Arkanok
I'm rather intrigued.. Sounds like it could be pretty good and fixes the problem that the mighty mouse had with the scroll ball.

I wonder if this will also work under my bootcamp installation of Windows 7, though...? Sadly, the Apple site only lists OS X.

unity
Finally! No more sticky little mouse balls! (Now thats something you dont say everyday)

macrumorsMaster
trackball is easier to use.

bleimone
I am surprised that this mouse is lacking the other nice gesture features like "pinch open close" and four finger expose. I wonder if that can be update via software.

looks sweet though

zw-gator
Still not buying it.

+1

This is fail

richard.mac
Oct 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
death to the scrollball! :D

undecided if i should get a Magic Mouse or a more contoured and ergonomic MX 1100.

Cyroceon
Oct 20, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking about it.

redwarrior
That looks really cool. And wow, it's my birthday this week. Imagine that. :D I'm always up for new toys.:p

tivoboy
bought it!

QCassidy352
I am surprised that this mouse is lacking the other nice gesture features like "pinch open close" and four finger expose. I wonder if that can be update via software.

looks sweet though

yeah, I thought pinch to zoom would be a given. :-/ Looks nice, and a lot better than the mighty mouse, but I'll stick with logitech I think.

zw-gator
Just looked at the price

$70 US!!!!

HAHAHA

bigcat318
Oct 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

Maybe if it actually works. I shouldnt have to clean it once a month to keep it working. I can never scroll down.

CQd44
Oct 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

undecided if i should get a Magic Mouse or a more contoured and ergonomic MX 1100.

Logitech makes amazing mice. I have one of their laser mice and it fits perfectly into my hand. Still going strong too, no problems whatsoever. I think I've had it for at least 6 months.

kaypay
Oct 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but from the demo video on Apple's website, it looks like they didn't include three finger gestures like three finger swipe for expose. Without that, this isn't much different from the old mighty mouse with the scroll ball...

anim8or
Oct 20, 2009, 11:45 AM

Post if you get one.... i'm in glasgow later this week and will be buying one definitely if they have stock.

UK online store says 5-7 business days to ship! :(

RaZaK
I guess that no-name company can say goodbye to getting any future money on damages for using the Mighty Mouse name.:rolleyes:

Let's see which stupid company comes out of the woodwork to claim the Magic Mouse name. lol :D

DipDog3
More like an Apple Design

MatthewCobb
I want it *now*!

WhiteNoiseMaker
Wonder when we will see a USB version. Did anyone notice the new apple remote too?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/1291/store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/MC377.jpg

Detlev
Finally! No more sticky little mouse balls! (Now thats something you dont say everyday)

Agreed.

It does look sweet. Waiting for the store to come back online. I want!

Stike
Oct 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
Can you finally press and hold two mouse buttons, eg for UT2004? :o

reemas
I hope I'm wrong, but from the demo video on Apple's website, it looks like they didn't include three finger gestures like three finger swipe for expose. Without that, this isn't much different from the old mighty mouse with the scroll ball...

Exactly.

Was going to buy one if it had the same feature as my MBP trackpad. But for $70 I can use my Mighty Mouse in almost the same fashion.

szark
Maybe not the best mouse, but it beats the Mighty Mouse by a good deal.

I think you mean the "Apple Mouse (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB112LL/B)", which appears to be the new name after Apple lost the lawsuit.

I tend not to like wireless mice, but I might check this one out.

kps
I am surprised that this mouse is lacking the other nice gesture features like "pinch open close" and four finger expose.

Seconded. And worse, the gestures on this are not the same as the gestures on the laptop trackpads. Idiotic.

Arkanok
I just had a thought, does this mean that you can't have your index finger and middle finger resting on the mouse while your moving the cursor around without it thinking that you're doing a click-and-drag action? I'd really prefer NOT to have my fingers raised when moving the cursor.

kbmb
Oct 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
If anybody does use one in an Apple store....can you answer this:

In order to use the Right Click functionality....do you need to have your index finger touching the surface?

-Kevin

Hammy :)
OMG the mouse :eek:...it looks so..yum :apple:

ZennZero
I recently switched from a MBP to a Mac Pro, which is better for my usage patterns overall, but the one thing I miss is multi-touch gestures. I am disappointed that the Magic Mouse does not replicate the same gesture standards in use on the MB/MBPs.

I'm guessing that it can only track 2 discreet touch inputs at once, rather than the 4+ found on the laptops.

spazzcat

Mine stopped working about 6 months ago...I been waiting for this update.

nyisles84

looks sweet though

this right here. I was hoping it would have this. As long as I can find out they can implement it with a software.firmware update, I will be buying it

mddharma
Oct 20, 2009, 11:49 AM
and can't wait! Been waiting for an update to the mouse for a LONG time! :)
Now, if they would only bring back a bluetooth keyboard with the number keys... :(

SimonMW
I would buy one for my Mac pro. But I can't, because it is Blue Tooth only!

rgarjr
I guess they got rid of a middle mouse button?

stridemat
Definitely interested but I might wait for some user reviews first on how it handles and how ergonomic it is!

Bezbozny
Oct 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
I want a mouse so that i wont have to use the trackpad of my laptop... i do not need a mouse that works like a trackpad... i mean come on!!! The functionality becomes less and less important in apple devices....

MX Revolution.... the best mouse that i ever had... i have been using it for 3 years now and still not a single problem....

uaecasher
Oct 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'm so getting one

Nuvi
Not impressed... They managed to eliminate scroll ball for good but killed expose etc. on the mouse also. How is it possible that Apple never manages to make a mouse thats worthy of the Mac computers?

skeep5
I definitely want to know how configurable it is. I wouldn't buy one just to surf the web.

GorillaPaws
Oct 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
If 3 and 4 finger support are truly absent and there isn't a way to replicate a 3rd and 4th mouse button as there is with the "Apple Mouse," then as much as I want to get this, it simply falls short of what it needs to do. At this point, I would be much happier if Apple released an external USB trackpad with the same multi-touch support as on the laptop.

I'm actually really pissed about this, because it had the potential to be so much better. :(

nagromme
Oct 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
Still takes AA batteries I hope? I've just about got everything I use running off the same rechargeable AAs and I like it.

Can you finally press and hold two mouse buttons, eg for UT2004? :o

I doubt it. I have my workarounds for UT2004 (and few weapons need two buttons) but in the end, a hardcore gamer can use a lot more buttons (not gestures) and will probably want a different mouse. I like my VX Revolution for maximum programmable buttons!

Sweetfeld28
Oct 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
Time to upgrade. I can finally get rid of my 5 button, Mircobunk Mouse.

reemas
They managed to eliminate scroll ball for good but killed expose etc. on the mouse also. How is it possible that Apple never manages to make a mouse thats worthy of the Mac computers?

I wonder the same thing. There are people who'll buy this for sure, but for the rest of us that use several features this mouse is a little dry. (Dashboard and Expose shortcuts seem missing).

PDE
I love apple, but they just keep dropping the ball with their mice. Why on earth would they make a mouse with touch built in like this? Why not just make a beautiful, simple touchpad similar to the ones on their laptops? The top surface of this mouse is too small for good multi touch usage and the shape of the mouse is no good for regular mouse usage. They tried to please everybody but to me it looks they took the worst of mousing and touch and combined them to make a frustrating product. I'm open-minded though, and hope that real-world usage will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

slimpunk
Oct 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
This looks pretty cool, but I wish there was a wired option I could use with my G5. Plus it would be cheaper, and I wouldn't have to worry about batteries!

davidbrummy
Oct 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
I had a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and Keyboard and they used to eat batteries. I tried to be green and go with rechargeables but they were worse.

Please can we have a wired version?

whooleytoo
Oct 20, 2009, 11:55 AM
Looks fantastic, but only two buttons; and I prefer wired mice.

It may come down to how well the finger/click/scroll detection works; and if Apple add the other gestures.

Mac OS X Ocelot
It's a neat concept that I figured would come eventually, it looks sexy, and beats that godawful Mighty Mouse, but I don't think I could use it. I don't know how well I would adapt to multi-touch, and I've found I can't live with less than eight buttons.

ryan
Seconded. And worse, the gestures on this are not the same as the gestures on the laptop trackpads. Idiotic.

Try swiping four fingers across a mouse and it's not going to stay put; you really need a thumb and pinky holding it in place.

ThunderSkunk
Oct 20, 2009, 11:56 AM
Why not just make a beautiful, simple touchpad similar to the ones on their laptops?

Because if you wanted that, you'd buy a Wacom Bamboo. Wacom isn't as big as Apple, but it's very good at protecting their IP.

Detlev
Oct 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
I definitely want to know how configurable it is. I wouldn't buy one just to surf the web.

Watch the Magic Mouse video. It is absolutely configurable.

YoGramMamma
Oct 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
Already ordered! I can't be waiting around to see if my local apple store has them in stock, just for them to only get 5 in and all the employees buy them up and them not be allowed to put anything on hold.

But has anyone though, this ia ll software based, so I'm assuming here that Apple could, in the future, update the mouse to support more functions like the 4 finger swipe up or spreading fingers to zoom in on stuff! Here's to hoping.

nagromme
Oct 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
Not impressed... They managed to eliminate scroll ball for good but killed expose etc. on the mouse also. How is it possible that Apple never manages to make a mouse thats worthy of the Mac computers?

Two-finger swiping up and down as programmable functions (like buttons 3 and 4 on Mighty Mouse) would be great. Exposé Show All and Show Desktop or Dashboard. I would guess that the mouse itself can understand those gestures, so there's hope of a software update. Hope is not enough to spend money on, of course, if you rely on those functions :)

I don't expect to see 3- and 4- finger gestures. That would be hugely awkward while trying to hold the mouse still. But 2-finger Exposé, if they add that, would be even nicer than the 3-finger trackpad equivalents.

Watch the Magic Mouse video. It is absolutely configurable.

But NOT as configurable as the old mouse (or at least, differently configurable).

You have swipe forward/back which the old one lacked, but you no longer can customize functions like Show All Windows, Show Desktop, Show Application Windows, Show Dashboard, and Application Switcher.

http://images.apple.com/magicmouse/images/software_20091020.jpg

gumbyx84
Oct 20, 2009, 12:00 PM
yeah, I thought pinch to zoom would be a given. :-/ Looks nice, and a lot better than the mighty mouse, but I'll stick with logitech I think.

I agree with all of this. Multi-touch on a mouse doesn't make much sense if its not implemented properly.

I guess they got rid of a middle mouse button?

Apple never liked middle mouse click. Very annoying.

I'll be waiting for Wacom to make their new Touch tablet work with the Apple drivers or making their own proper multi-touch drivers. I'd rather spend $70 on that.

ZennZero
At this point, I would be much happier if Apple released an external USB trackpad with the same multi-touch support as on the laptop.

Agree. Wacom has the Bamboo Touch series, but it doesn't appear to tap (ha! a pun) into Apple's existing API - and the reviews are just okay...

OrangeCuse44
This looks really niiice. I'm sure it will become even more customizable in the future with software updates, it already includes the tech. Working around the corner from the 14th Street Apple store is making it very difficult for me to not run out of work for a few minutes and pick this up.

sam10685
I like it a lot but I hope you can change the clicking/double clicking configuration... my hand isn't big enough to have just one finger on the mouse and the other on the table.

PDE
Oct 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
Because if you wanted that, you'd buy a Wacom Bamboo. Wacom isn't as big as Apple, but it's very good at protecting its IP.

Well, actually Fingerworks - the company that created the technology behind Apple's multitouch - introduced a beautiful multi-touch pad in aluminium just before it was purchased by Apple several years ago. The product was never mass-produced as far as I know but I saw pictures of it and it looked fantastic. I tried wacom's tablet this afternoon and it was fine, but if Apple put its mind to it, or even just resurrected the old Fingerworks pad, it would be even better.

Greenhoe
Oct 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
How do you change the battery? What type of batteries does it use and how often?

coolfactor
Oct 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
Logitech makes amazing mice. I have one of their laser mice and it fits perfectly into my hand. Still going strong too, no problems whatsoever. I think I've had it for at least 6 months.

6 months? Seriously? That's nothing. Tell me again in 6 years.

I'm really concerned about the short life span that people expect of computers, phones and other electronics these days. I still have our original Mac SE and it works great... 16 years later. Can't do much, though. :-)

roland.g
Oct 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
Wonder when we will see a USB version. Did anyone notice the new apple remote too?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/1291/store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/MC377.jpg

I've seen the remote in there too. Just wondering if it also works with Apple TV? Doesn't mention that on the store.

nagromme
I like it a lot but I hope you can change the clicking/double clicking configuration... my hand isn't big enough to have just one finger on the mouse and the other on the table.

You can keep both fingers resting on the mouse when not clicking. That seems a little weird at first, but I doubt it feels much different than the old Mighty Mouse for left/right clicking.

The catch is that it expects you to lift your left finger off the mouse while right-clicking. It turns out most people, with any mouse, do that by habit already! I personally didn't--but I learned quickly. This is not an issue for regular left-clicking: when both fingers are resting and you click, a primary-click is assumed, so you don't need to lift your right finger. From my experience with the Mighty Mouse, this actually works OK (for non-gaming use).

coolfactor
I'm amazed at all of the negative comments in this thread. What a bunch of spoiled babies.

goodwilldrums
Oct 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
If 3 and 4 finger support are truly absent and there isn't a way to replicate a 3rd and 4th mouse button as there is with the "Apple Mouse," then as much as I want to get this, it simply falls short of what it needs to do. At this point, I would be much happier if Apple released an external USB trackpad with the same multi-touch support as on the laptop.

I'm actually really pissed about this, because it had the potential to be so much better. :(

I agree...As much as I'd LOVE to get this, if it doesn't have a 3rd and 4th button it's useless to me.

I use my middle scroll ball as a 3rd button to open up new tabs, close tabs, etc.
I use my "squeeze" 4th button to show me all windows in Expose.

anyone else with me??

ChrisA
But has anyone though, this ia ll software based, so I'm assuming here that Apple could, in the future, update the mouse to support more functions like the 4 finger swipe up or spreading fingers to zoom in on stuff! Here's to hoping.

The number of fingers that can be tracked is likely fixed by the hardware design. But the gestures recognized would be in software and therefore changeable.

iZac
Im happy about the removal of the side buttons. They were the worst idea apple ever put into the mouse, worse even than the trackball. The whole reason for the existence of those two nubbins was so you could pick the mouse up when in the middle of a 'click drag' (i.e. you reached the edge of the desk) without taking pressure off the button. All they let you do was activate the dashboard, while you're trying to drag files.

I'm mostly concerned about the ability to perform a 'mouse wheel click' which you need for pretty much any 3D program, Having said that, im definatley picking one up, since my mighty mouse trackball is screwed (just like every one elses)

ThunderSkunk
Oct 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Two things:

1. Two AA Batteries make for a heavy mouse. A heavy mouse is a jerky mouse, and no fun to do accurate work with.

2. I hope this doesn't have the same hard plastic base as the mighty mouse, which quickly scrapes the finish off a nice wood desktop & thus requires a mousepad.

I may just have to build my own mouse after all.

kap91
Oct 20, 2009, 12:08 PM
Figures that they release the mouse I've been wanting for years 2 months after I finally say "you know what, they're never gonna make it" and dished out the money for a replacement for my old mighty mouse (A wireless targus with touch scrolling.) I'm kind of glad though that the new one seems to lack support for shortcut gestures. At least that way I don't feel like I completely jumped the gun. Hopefully in the future it will support expose and dashboard or other shortcuts.

GorillaPaws
Oct 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
Because if you wanted that, you'd buy a Wacom Bamboo.

Their implementation is a bit different than the trackpad. And honestly, I just want 1 set of rules to follow when using gestures.

I can understand why they didn't include the 3 & 4 finger swipe gestures, but still think they could have implemented a 3-finger click as a substitute for the middle click and a 4 finger click for the 4th squeeze button. Expose navigation is pretty critical for my finder workflow.

Saladinos
Oct 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
Like this, but wish it had more gestures. No doubt software will come in and fix that soon.

Rychy
Oct 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
Well I decided to buy one... hope it doesn't end up in a drawer along with my wireless Mighty Mouse.

Detlev
Oct 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
Still takes AA batteries I hope? I've just about got everything I use running off the same rechargeable AAs and I like it.

Have you found a decent brand? Duracells are terrible. They are expensive, require recharging too often, lose their charge faster in storage, only recharge a limited amount of times, are heavier than alkaline, and of course require electricity to recharge them (which is not always green technology). I spent hundreds of dollars on these things recently only to waist more time dealing with them. I've been testing their charges with a tester and running them side by side with alkalines. So far regular AAs win hands down. I'd appreciate insight into better brands.

BOP: I got swept up in the looks of the Magic Mouse and the fact that I could scroll again. I am a bit surprised that the tertiary buttons/controls are gone. That is a big let down for me. Even thought the mighty mouse is i hinderance for scrolling and zooming the ability to control Dashboard and Expose are a major part of my workflow.

yg17
Oct 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
I guess that no-name company can say goodbye to getting any future money on damages for using the Mighty Mouse name.:rolleyes:

Let's see which stupid company comes out of the woodwork to claim the Magic Mouse name. lol :D

I wouldn't call 20th Century Fox a no-name company :rolleyes:

WLS
Oct 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
+1

This is fail
+2

It's biggest fail hit me right away when they said "simply hold down the control key and...? I said WHAT and REALLY? where the heck is the pinch and expand gesture to zoom??

starflyer
I would buy one for my Mac pro. But I can't, because it is Blue Tooth only!

$1.50 solution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019SI266/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/187-8500789-5067758?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=134A4W4BSZA2AVX5HKJW&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B00006B7DB

VenusianSky
I just don't use all these bells and whistles companies put on these mice. I have a Logitech mouse with tilt wheel, side wheel, wheel buttons, some customizable button on top, and I never use any of them. The standard buttons, the scroll wheel and the forward and back buttons is about all I can handle.

TheSpaz
Oct 20, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm buying one!

The bottom looks weird though.

Detlev
Oct 20, 2009, 12:14 PM
But NOT as configurable as the old mouse (or at least, differently configurable).

You have swipe forward/back which the old one lacked, but you no longer can customize functions like Show All Windows, Show Desktop, Show Application Windows, Show Dashboard, and Application Switcher.

http://images.apple.com/magicmouse/images/software_20091020.jpg

Agreed. I wonder if it is upgradable via software update? Could those features be added?

OllyW
Oct 20, 2009, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't call 20th Century Fox a no-name company :rolleyes:

You haven't been paying attention to the news (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/08/mighty-mouse-trademark-awarded-to-peripherals-manufacturer-man-and-machine/). :p

ThunderSkunk
Oct 20, 2009, 12:16 PM
when they said "simply hold down the control key and...? I said WHAT and REALLY? where the heck is the pinch and expand gesture to zoom??

Hahaha... Exactly what I said too.

thegoldenmackid
Oct 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
iThink it's a nice technology, but I am going to wait to see how well the Bluetooth portion works before I consider. All Apple mice I have owned have suffered from hourly disconnects.

iSimx
Oct 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
the mouse looks awesome.... but I'm not paying that price!

jplevine
Oct 20, 2009, 12:18 PM
Not sure if anyone answered this, but it uses 2 AA batteries.

C8XY
on the phone to the apple store on regent street to check stock level, been waiting for a new mouse for ages, got two mighty"crap"mouses here, both unable to scroll - fed up with the cleaning/fixing solutions... bring on the gesture please... :cool:

[edit] just got through. no stock until tomorrow (possibly). They haven't had any in yet.

tonkaxxtuph
My main concern is how does it handle in WOW and with all the twisting and turning of the wrist and fingers, I think it maybe prone to do more harm than a regular mouse. It looks like ergonomics are just not there for anything comfortable.

anthonyjr

I just upgraded to the Performance MX from the Revolution MX, and I have to say that I love this mouse. It feels nice, and it's really precise. Definitely an upgrade over the previous model.

As much as I think the Magic Mouse is a great, great, great idea... I feel like it just doesn't work for many of the "power user" apps that I'm running. I guess it's just a matter of what you use your computer for. The magic mouse seems to be geared towards a regular user doing simple computing.

slackpacker
Oct 20, 2009, 12:19 PM
Nothing beats the org. Microsoft Intellimouse wheel

Apples new product will not be one that will .

fjpoblam
Oct 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
...I fail to see

(1) how it would be better than a trackpad in almost all cases; and

(2) in those very few cases where *I* feel I need a mouse (either pixel-level manipulation or extremely repetitive tasks for which I'm too lazy to write a script), how it would be better than the 10-year-old $10 Logitech wireless mouse, with its 3.5-year battery life and ~5-foot range.

C8XY
iThink it's a nice technology, but I am going to wait to see how well the Bluetooth portion works before I consider. All Apple mice I have owned have suffered from hourly disconnects.

strange. never had any problem other than the scroll issue. BT prob on your mac?

nagromme
I'm mostly concerned about the ability to perform a 'mouse wheel click' which you need for pretty much any 3D program, Having said that, im definatley picking one up, since my mighty mouse trackball is screwed (just like every one elses)

I'd wait-and-see: it looks like a middle-click signal is NOT supported, and if that's true then you'd be stuck waiting for a software solution from Apple, or using a keyboard command in your 3D app.

I never use middle-click outside of games (for which I have a non-Apple mouse) but if I did, I wouldn't rush to get the Magic Mouse. There may--or may not--be an acceptable middle-click solution.

1. Two AA Batteries make for a heavy mouse. A heavy mouse is a jerky mouse, and no fun to do accurate work with.

I find the opposite to be true: a light mouse (or super-low-friction surface) jerks for me because it offers no resistance to my muscle precision.

However, if you prefer light, the old Mighty Mouse would work with one OR two batteries installed. The new one might do the same. Something to investigate.

GorillaPaws
Oct 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
Im happy about the removal of the side buttons. They were the worst idea apple ever put into the mouse, worse even than the trackball. The whole reason for the existence of those two nubbins was so you could pick the mouse up when in the middle of a 'click drag' (i.e. you reached the edge of the desk) without taking pressure off the button. All they let you do was activate the dashboard, while you're trying to drag files.

I have my 3rd mouse button set to activate expose, and "the squeeze" set to trigger spaces. The nice thing about "the-mouse-formerly-known-as-mighty" was that you could choose to use the squeeze controls or not, so it scaled in complexity along with the user's needs. In other words, if you don't like it you can disable the 4th buttons and not have it screw you up, whereas someone like me can choose to put it to work for them.

ksgant
Just looked at the price

$70 US!!!!

HAHAHA

Yeah, I know...can't believe how cheap it is for what it does. I've bought more expensive mice that don't half of what this does.

Sweet.

kps
I would be much happier if Apple released an external USB trackpad with the same multi-touch support as on the laptop.
+1. Simple and obvious. Offer desktop users the same UI as laptop users.

tabasco70
Oct 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
Looks slick. Thing looks like its from 2030.

The guys over at Apple really hate buttons, don't they.

DualShock
Oct 20, 2009, 12:25 PM
So wait, does it physically "click" when you press down? Meaning, does the body of the mouse move down like the old Mighty Mouse? Or is there absolutely no tactile response whatsoever when you "tap" the top?

scottishwildcat
Oct 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm getting wrist pain just looking at those pictures with the arrows on them! And I'll bet it only works well on certain surfaces, so it doesn't move around while you're trying to do some gesture that you can't do without letting go of the sides.

Definitely one to try in the store before parting with €60+.

Antares
I'll have to try it out. The lack of Expose' would be a huge negative. I'm hoping it's still a possibility. The Might Mouse had 4 buttons. Does this now only have 2?

uwbadger
$1.50 solution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019SI266/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/187-8500789-5067758?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=134A4W4BSZA2AVX5HKJW&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B00006B7DB

There are some places where Bluetooth is prohibited. I have an MBP, but the BT, camera, microphone and WiFi are disabled (though I was issued an external WiFi card for traveling). This looks like a nice mouse, but I hope there is a USB version. Even if Bluetooth were allowed where I work, I have yet to find a bluetooth mouse that is as reliable and responsive as a wired mouse.

ksgant
...I fail to see

(2) in those very few cases where *I* feel I need a mouse (either pixel-level manipulation or extremely repetitive tasks for which I'm too lazy to write a script), how it would be better than the 10-year-old $10 Logitech wireless mouse, with its 3.5-year battery life and ~5-foot range.

Then don't get one. You don't even have to get one on a new iMac purchase as you can swap it out for the normal mighty-mouse.

Problem solved. I personally think it will be great to have both features...trackpad and pixel-level manipulation all right there under my fingertips without having to switch back and forth between two things.

AdeFowler
This looks pretty cool, but I wish there was a wired option I could use with my G5. Plus it would be cheaper, and I wouldn't have to worry about batteries!

+1. I'd buy it now if it had a tail.

scotty96LSC
Oct 20, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'll go ops check it when it hits the Apple Store. Interested in seeing if it would work well doing photoshop or desktop publishing work.

swissmann
Oct 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
Also concerned about the seemingly limited amount of gestures. I'll end up getting one when it comes with my next mac purchase but probably not before then. I do like it though.

3N16MA
Oct 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
This new mouse looks pretty but it also looks like Apple managed to make the ergonomics even worse on this compared to the mighty mouse. It looks like your holding a smooth stone rather than something your hand sinks into (MX Revolution).

azboricua
Oct 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
I cant work with flat mice. My wrist hurts just looking at this. Great looking mouse though.

Xenious
My main concern is how does it handle in WOW and with all the twisting and turning of the wrist and fingers, I think it maybe prone to do more harm than a regular mouse. It looks like ergonomics are just not there for anything comfortable.

Definitely take a look at a Razer Naga for WoW gaming. At first it looks odd with the 12 button numeric keypad, but it is excellent!

BongoBanger
No thanks. I don't want arthritis when I'm older.

carmenodie
Oct 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
I was on Engadget and the haters of Apple are out in full force today. they are so freaking jealous. And believe me when I tell you that the entire industry will copy that mouse and you'll soon see the multi touch mouse showdown. And didn't that happen with the ipod. They chided Apple then threw them under the bus when the competition came out to play. I'm getting the 27 inch imac.Hello yeah!!!!

daneoni
Oct 20, 2009, 12:33 PM
Still not interested...it still seems to suck in terms of ergonomics, useful features like one-click access to expose/dashboard are gone and the killer for me is that you still have to lift your finger of the left click to right click.

No thanks....long live Logitech.

So wait, does it physically "click" when you press down? Meaning, does the body of the mouse move down like the old Mighty Mouse? Or is there absolutely no tactile response whatsoever when you "tap" the top?

Looks like tapitty tap...not sure though

str1f3
Oct 20, 2009, 12:34 PM
...I fail to see

(1) you're right but that was pretty much always the case with trackpads vs. mice

(2) you just mentioned the reason why you may need a mouse: photo/video editing and precise movements. As for the old Logitech mouse, that statement can be made for any mouse that costs more than $10 unless you're a gamer and need a 1,000 buttons. The reason the Magic Mouse costs more is because of design, bluetooth and technology.

What bothers me about this is that multitouch seems to be coming fractured across all platforms. Apple should have found a way to use all the features in the trackpad. I wonder what will happen with the tablet now and all the new gestures it will have that will be missing on other Apple products.

That being said I may buy it anyway!:o

Andrew K.
They've done it! An even less ergonomic and harder to use mouse! :eek:

WOW you've used it already what was that like?

slackpacker
I was on Engadget and the haters of Apple are out in full force today. they are so freaking jealous. And believe me when I tell you that the entire industry will copy that mouse and you'll soon see the multi touch mouse showdown. And didn't that happen with the ipod. They chided Apple then threw them under the bus when the competition came out to play. I'm getting the 27 inch imac.Hello yeah!!!!

You really think they are going to copy this?..... yeah I guess your right....

Dagless
Wow, that's actually quite tempting! It looks superb, doubt it's as comfy as my Razer but multitouch?! So tempted to get this as my portable mouse (already have a BT Mightymouse but the scroll ball no longer works and it eats batteries).

hugodrax
Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just looked at the price

$70 US!!!!

HAHAHA

That aint ****. Thats much less than the commission I pay when selling options contracts :)

Im gonna get one. for sure.

Davey782
Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

I have the mx1100 and use is on my MBP and my work PC. Love it for medium sized hands. has a ton of customizable buttons and feels good in hand.

Search the forums for versions of set-point [logitech's mouse software] that are supported in Leopard. v4 or v6 i think are supposed to work. i forget what i have..

str1f3
Oct 20, 2009, 12:37 PM

IDK why people bother (Windows or Mac fans) to read forum posts on those sites. It's one long & continuous flame war.

Mark Booth
Oct 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
Order placed for the new Magic Mouse to use with my Mac Pro. $63 through the Apple Store for Employee Purchase Plan (an arrangement many employers have with Apple). Estimated delivery is Oct 28-Nov 3. If my wife like's it, we'll get one for her current iMac too. If neither of us really care for it, I'll just throw it in my laptop bag for occasional use with my MacBook Pro. But I'm pretty certain I'm going to like it! :)

Mark

MACWhite
Oct 20, 2009, 12:39 PM
just ordered one. I'm sure 3 &4 gestures could be added via SWUD (Software Update)

fastbite
Oct 20, 2009, 12:39 PM
I recently switched from a MBP to a Mac Pro, which is better for my usage patterns overall, but the one thing I miss is multi-touch gestures. I am disappointed that the Magic Mouse does not replicate the same gesture standards in use on the MB/MBPs.

I'm guessing that it can only track 2 discreet touch inputs at once, rather than the 4+ found on the laptops.

I guess the problem is that you need to hold the mouse, if you use three finger gestures it would slide all over the place.

mscriv
Oct 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing nobody wants to buy my bluetooth mighty mouse now huh? I knew I should have put that up in the marketplace last month. :o

Xian Zhu Xuande
Oct 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
You guys do realize that you will be gesturing on this mouse in a way which is completely different from the way in which you will be gesturing on a trackpad, right? The gestures should be different. What would be idiotic would be for Apple to copy them straight across.

I can imagine how pinch and zoom might work on the mouse, but it seems a little odd. This is something I'd want to use and play with before I purchased it. It could be very smooth or a little unusual. In any case, the lack of all those excellent gestures on a desktop computers has frustrated me since I came to appreciate my MacBook Pro.

L0s7man
Oct 20, 2009, 12:51 PM
One button... ONE button... ONE BUTTON!!! *sigh* How hard can it be to add a 2nd button? I don't think that even the most hardcore Apple fanboy - one that prays daily to the great Steve-o - would disagree with the simple fact of life that 2 buttons are better than one. Say I want to empty the trash... say I want to copy&paste without drag&drop... Say I want to open the friggin link in a new tab in a friggin web browser... Apple has yet again proven that their fancy is more important than fuctionality.

Unprocessed1
Oct 20, 2009, 12:53 PM
What a sexy mouse. Let's hope the functionality is better than the mighty mouse ;)

GorillaPaws
Oct 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
What a sexy mouse. Let's hope the functionality is better than the mighty mouse ;)

Of course the most important question of all is: "does it scroll like butter?"

savar
Oct 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
Still not buying it.

I would buy it just to finally have a bluetooth mouse with more than 2 buttons.

Every 3rd party mouse that has extra buttons has terrible bluetooth performance or requires a bluetooth dongle. <cough>Microsoft

fs454
Oct 20, 2009, 12:55 PM
One button... ONE button... ONE BUTTON!!! *sigh* How hard can it be to add a 2nd button? I don't think that even the most hardcore Apple fanboy - one that prays daily to the great Steve-o - would disagree with the simple fact of life that 2 buttons are better than one. Say I want to empty the trash... say I want to copy&paste without drag&drop... Say I want to open the friggin link in a new tab in a friggin web browser... Apple has yet again proven that their fancy is more important than fuctionality.

Why don't you get that if you just attempt to use the mouse as a normal 2 button mouse, it functions just as you'd expect it to? Right click, and you get the right click menu. Left click, and and you left click.

It's not a tagged on feature or something thats disabled by default, just right click and it works. Just don't look down and expect to see two buttons.

Nieval
Oct 20, 2009, 12:55 PM

You do realize that when you click with your finger on the right side of the mouse you're essentially right-clicking?

Steven.nevets
Oct 20, 2009, 12:57 PM

i'm confused... can't you do all those things with the secondary-click (right-click) on the magic mouse?

bowzer
Oct 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
I still think they should add a trackpad onto the keyboard, and not try and jam multitouch onto the mouse...

madog
Oct 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
Mine stopped working about 6 months ago...I been waiting for this update.

If you have the original MM with the scroll ball, you can clean it while holding it upside down and rubbing it along a clean sheet of paper (I started out delicatly doing it, then used more pressure until I felt comfortable I wasn't going to destroy it, which was more pressure than from normal usage). I couldn't believe all that gunk that came out of mine, and I had to do it a few times over the course of the day (because I didn't want to roll it around for too long at once for fear of breaking it). Ever since then I can finally scroll down again where before it would only work for a few moments and then stop.

I regularly do it now and don't have any more problems with my scroll ball.

portishead
Oct 20, 2009, 01:00 PM

logic failure.

whooleytoo
Oct 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
This new mouse looks pretty but it also looks like Apple managed to make the ergonomics even worse on this compared to the mighty mouse. It looks like your holding a smooth stone rather than something your hand sinks into (MX Revolution).

In my experience, "ergonomic" mice are anything but! One of the big ergonomic problems with mice (& keyboards) is wrist pain due to the 'wrist bent upwards' position when using those devices - which is why keyboards and mouse-mats often come with wrist-rests to raise the wrist up level with the hand.

By that logic, a 'flat' mouse is far better than a 'fat' one like the MX Revolution.

L0s7man
Oct 20, 2009, 01:01 PM
PS. I wonder why they didn't do something like blootooth keyboard + big glass trackpad instead of keypad. That would be cool.

whooleytoo
Oct 20, 2009, 01:04 PM
If you have the original MM with the scroll ball, you can clean it while holding it upside down and rubbing it along a clean sheet of paper (I started out delicatly doing it, then used more pressure until I felt comfortable I wasn't going to destroy it). I couldn't believe all that gunk that came out of mine, and I had to do it a few times over the course of the day (because I didn't want to roll it around for too long at once for fear of breaking it). Ever since then I can finally scroll down again where before it would only work for a few moments and then stop.

I had a MM whose ball was stuck solid some weeks ago; so I followed advice similar to the above. I applied force gradually as I cleaned, until finally it came free. Unfortunately, the force required to free the ball was more than enough to also break the rollers. Now the ball rotates freely, to no effect. :o

praetorian909
Oct 20, 2009, 01:04 PM
PS. I wonder why they didn't do something like blootooth keyboard + big glass trackpad instead of keypad. That would be cool.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Please Apple, please!

SLR2009
Oct 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
With the Magic Mouse will I still be able to bring up Dashboard by clicking down on the mouse like I can with the Mighty Mouse?

fs454
Oct 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
If you have the original MM with the scroll ball, you can clean it while holding it upside down and rubbing it along a clean sheet of paper (I started out delicatly doing it, then used more pressure until I felt comfortable I wasn't going to destroy it, which was more pressure than from normal usage). I couldn't believe all that gunk that came out of mine, and I had to do it a few times over the course of the day (because I didn't want to roll it around for too long at once for fear of breaking it). Ever since then I can finally scroll down again where before it would only work for a few moments and then stop.

I did that for a few months with my wireless MM, and eventually the mechanics gave out and it stopped working forever. I took it apart and never found a way to restore functionality.

I bought a new one, but I'm buying this one too.

Eric S.
Oct 20, 2009, 01:07 PM
Looks like typical Apple form over function. I can't see this fitting the hand comfortably, and it most likely will be worse for repetitive stress injury.

madog
Oct 20, 2009, 01:07 PM

Ever since the Mighty Mouse was released it has two touch sensitve sides on a one button mouse (three actually, with the middle click too). Normally not enabled by default, in 5 seconds you can enable the right click on it and it will function as a two button mouse, albeit slightly different as it is pressure sensitve.

You're five years late on that troll.

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 20, 2009, 01:09 PM
This is what Microsoft have in development.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/185226/Microsoft-Research-Shows-Off-Multi-Touch-Mouse-Prototypes?from=rss

Microsoft actually make some nice mice.

L0s7man
Oct 20, 2009, 01:09 PM
i'm confused... can't you do all those things with the secondary-click (right-click) on the magic mouse?
Lets see, no, you can't. UNLESS you're running Mac OS. There probably won't be any drivers for Windows - which I use to play games every now and then or Linux - which I also use every now and then. Besides, if they DO WANT to have right click included, why not add a physical button? Seriously, HOW can u justify the use of fancy software instead of physical solution? CAN you give me any logical argument why physical 2nd button should'nt be there?

Smurfed
Oct 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
Simple tip: always try out peripherals before buying.

madog
Oct 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
I had a MM whose ball was stuck solid some weeks ago; so I followed advice similar to the above. I applied force gradually as I cleaned, until finally it came free. Unfortunately, the force required to free the ball was more than enough to also break the rollers. Now the ball rotates freely, to no effect. :o

Well, too much pressure could break just about anything. :(

Sucks that it happened, but I'm just trying to point out that for the times I've done it personally and on the half-dozen or so different people's MM's it has been successful.

I didn't personally hear about the method until many months after mine had stopped working properly.

javaJake
Oct 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
MX Revolution.... the best mouse that i ever had... i have been using it for 3 years now and still not a single problem....I concur.

NewSc2
Oct 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
Can somebody confirm whether there is/isn't a click? The multi-touch glass trackpads click in. Don't think I could use a mouse without at least some physical response.

Minimoose 360
Oct 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
Coupled with physics responsive feedback when scrolling I think this could work. Thank god I wait for the new one.

L0s7man
Oct 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
logic failure.

oh? how is that, pray tell...

bart4u
Oct 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
Looks interesting. The Mac mouse I have now is a bad design. The roller ball in the top center has stopped working on two of my mouse's, sometimes if you clean the ball it will start working again for a few hours then it stops. So this new design might work better

gr8tfly
Oct 20, 2009, 01:17 PM

As already mentioned, you don't want them the same. When you scroll on a normal mouse, you use a single finger - not two.

I'm waiting to find out what the surface is like - optimally, it would be close to the glass surface on the MBPs. They're always smooth as silk. I'd hate to go back to a sticky (by comparison) plastic surface.

A bit off topic, but has anyone else noticed the BT keyboard now only requires two batteries, not three?

haravikk
Oct 20, 2009, 01:18 PM
I may pop into a store to try it, but it looks to me like this mouse wouldn't be much good for prolonged use, it looks far too slim, and in the photos the hand of whoever's using it seems to far off, RSI a-plenty.

The idea however is great, so hopefully it can evolve a bit further.

apfhex
Oct 20, 2009, 01:18 PM
One button... ONE button... ONE BUTTON!!! *sigh*
While there are no physical buttons, it DOES have a right click. Doubtless there will eventually be Bootcamp drivers supporting gestures. I bet that right click may work just fine out of the box, too. But if you're so worried about it not working with other operating systems on your Mac (something the mouse clearly isn't designed for) then maybe don't buy one?

What it is missing however is a middle click, something that I'm not sure I could do without these days. But the 360º swipe scrolling is quite appealing (love the idea, hate the scroll nipple on the Mighty Mouse). This is is probably the first mouse Apple has ever released that has me genuinely interested.

Jason Beck
Oct 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
I may pop into a store to try it, but it looks to me like this mouse wouldn't be much good for prolonged use, it looks far too slim, and in the photos the hand of whoever's using it seems to far off, RSI a-plenty.

The idea however is great, so hopefully it can evolve a bit further.

Yah, I can appreciate Apple's innovativness. I too hope this can evolve into something nice. Although who knows, I havn't tried it yet.

duke49er
Oct 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
Where the exposé at ???

hexonxonx
Oct 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
Still not buying it.

I'll buy it, just not today.

jholzner
Oct 20, 2009, 01:23 PM

How did you get your hands on one already!? Oh, you haven't...you have no idea.

freeny
Oct 20, 2009, 01:25 PM
MX Revolution.... the best mouse that i ever had... i have been using it for 3 years now and still not a single problem....
YES 100%

Until i can see or feel the 3 buttons i need to push on a mouse i have no use for it. Too many missed button clicks because i missed the "target area" on the old mighty mouse.

jholzner
Oct 20, 2009, 01:26 PM

It has two buttons as did the mighty mouse. Try reading a bit before complaining. It has one physical button but you can right OR left click on the thing and it correctly registers both clicks perfectly.

Xavier
Oct 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
Simple tip: always try out peripherals before buying.

I agree. Nevertheless, I am eager to step into the Apple store and try one of these out. It is pretty dang revolutionary (at least to me).

madog

Get a normal 2 button mouse for gaming. For WoW, and other games in general, I typically leave both my fingers on the mouse. With the MM, and most likely with this mouse too, your left finger has to be hovering for the right click to be recognized. Not a good thing when things get intense.

Also, I would imagine it would be too easy to scroll left/right instead of an intended up/down. Maybe changing weapons instead of the camera (if that's possible or you program it as such on a different mouse).

chuckading

Agreed. I'm really pissed about them tossing the 3rd and 4th buttons. I used all four discrete buttons a lot. Apple went from 4 to 2...... Fail indeed. If you could squeeze the sides on this one.. problem solved for a 3rd button, and I'd be happy with that.

Can multitouch gestures activate spaces? dashboard? expose's show all windows? expose's show desktop? Those are some of the things that expose and a 4 button mouse can tackle together to be very productive and swift.

goodwilldrums
Oct 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'll have to try it out. The lack of Expose' would be a huge negative. I'm hoping it's still a possibility. The Might Mouse had 4 buttons. Does this now only have 2?

This question will have to be answered before I will buy one.
I need my squeeze 4th button to expose all windows.

What it is missing however is a middle click, something that I'm not sure I could do without these days. But the 360º swipe scrolling is quite appealing (love the idea, hate the scroll nipple on the Mighty Mouse). This is is probably the first mouse Apple has ever released that has me genuinely interested.

I also need my middle click (which is set to "3rd button") to quickly and easily open up links in new tabs without going to them...and to quickly close tabs (in FF, safari doesn't do this) without looking for the "X"

rgarjr
Oct 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
Can somebody confirm whether there is/isn't a click? The multi-touch glass trackpads click in. Don't think I could use a mouse without at least some physical response.

Yeah it should have a click response, since it states its an entire button. Not to mention you can hear it click on the vid.

J.711
Oct 20, 2009, 01:34 PM
Definitely gotta get myself one of these.

But does it need a software update to use the full functionality of it? I bought Snow Leopard (the update CD) but I haven't installed it yet and am still on 10.5.8

heyisa
Oct 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
I was excited about this until I found out it can only do half of the gestures a track pad can. Is it technically too difficult for it to track 3 fingers?
Until apple can truly make this a mouse that does what others cannot, I will be sticking with my trusty wired logitech 2-button scroll wheel mouse.
All this 'magic' mouse does is the same things the horrid 'mighty' mouse did with a facelift.
I was hoping for true innovation, maybe in time....

f00f
Oct 20, 2009, 01:41 PM

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Please Apple, please!

+1.

This Magic Mouse looks a bit awkward (http://www.apple.com/imac/includes/video-mouse.html#gallery-mouse-video) to use, but can't judge conclusively till I get my hands on one. Judging from the video alone, I'd have been happier to see a desktop duplication of the trackpad which would offer an element of continuity when going from MBP to Mac desktop and back again.

Nuvi
Oct 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
It has two buttons as did the mighty mouse. Try reading a bit before complaining. It has one physical button but you can right OR left click on the thing and it correctly registers both clicks perfectly.

Mighty Mouse has four buttons the new Magic has only two..

madog
Oct 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
Gizmodo has a hands-on post of the new mouse:

http://gizmodo.com/5385834/apple-magic-mouse-hands-on

zacman
Oct 20, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm waiting for the "Super Magic Mouse" that will be released at the January 2010 keynotes and supports four finger gestures. Of course here at MacRumors there will be huge discussions why Apple won't include 4 finger gestures in the old Magic Mouse with an software update.

jeenyusboy5
Oct 20, 2009, 01:46 PM
It's lacking the squeeze feature which I would have open the safari. I think ill be keeping my might mouse, but that new 27" imac looks good to me.

slicecom
Oct 20, 2009, 01:47 PM
I was hoping for something that could replace my MX Revolution. This doesn't even come close.

PDE
Oct 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
I've been looking at the magic mouse video again. No matter what people say about its functionality and style, ergonomically sound it is not.

The idea is that you move the mouse around as an ordinary mouse and then, while holding it, flex your fingers on an awkwardly convex, narrow and elevated surface. This will put a lot of unnecessary strain on your wrists, the small tendons and muscles on the top of your hands and the fingers. The puck mouse was of course worse, but I think the mighty mouse has now been elevated to the position of Apple's most ergonomic mouse thus far!

dazey
Two things:

The mighty mouse had the ability to take two AA batteries but was able to run on just one. I am hoping they keep this ability in the magic mouse as I only ever ran my mighty mice with one battery. I scoured the apple pages and could not find any tech specs that state whether it has the same ability or not?! Anyone seen anything concrete on this?

weckart

Stupid company? :eek: Wash that ignorant trap out with bleach!

Discus (http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html) > Useless overpriced flat thing.

Bless. Apple thinks the solution to not bothering to get the basics right is to blight it with featuritis. Microsoft used to do the same with its OS.

SchneiderMan
Oct 20, 2009, 01:52 PM
Apple just made history with this alien sleek looking piece of technology!
Anodized side aluminum sold me!

My money is yours. :D

KurtangleTN
Oct 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
Wow Apple manages to release something apparently less usable and ergonomic then the Mighty Mouse, call me speechless.

portishead
Oct 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
oh? how is that, pray tell...

You fail because you don't know how to use the second button on a mouse. Try using your middle finger like I am now.

iZac
Oct 20, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have my 3rd mouse button set to activate expose, and "the squeeze" set to trigger spaces. The nice thing about "the-mouse-formerly-known-as-mighty" was that you could choose to use the squeeze controls or not, so it scaled in complexity along with the user's needs. In other words, if you don't like it you can disable the 4th buttons and not have it screw you up, whereas someone like me can choose to put it to work for them.

That's true, choice is always good. Its the first thing that gets turned off in the system prefs for me though (it is active by default isn't it?, which is the perverse thing, since i think right clicking is inactive by default, no?)

VenusianSky
Oct 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
This is what Microsoft have in development.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/185226/Microsoft-Research-Shows-Off-Multi-Touch-Mouse-Prototypes?from=rss

Microsoft actually make some nice mice.

Ignored :p. When MS releases theirs it will be acknowledged as an "Apple ripoff".

cult hero
Oct 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
This thing looks cool in the demo. I like the idea of momentum scrolling too as it's something I've gotten used to on touch phones (like my G1 and iPhones) and iPod touches.

The biggest thing with a mouse though is comfort and I tend to prefer simpler layouts. (I've been using some pretty generic Microsoft mouse for some time.) I think I'm gonna stop by the Apple Store today and check this thing out. If it's comfy, I want one!

DougB541
Oct 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, i'm glad i'm not the only one who think Apple's Mouses are just not ergonomic at all.

I WILL say, this thing is VERY sleek. But seriously, i hate their keyboards and mouses. Looks over function. Please explain how a multi touch swipe back or forward is better than a simple button near my thumb? Or a tilt scroll wheel.

rickdollar
Oct 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
Try swiping four fingers across a mouse and it's not going to stay put; you really need a thumb and pinky holding it in place.
You know, I was thinking the same thing. But I tried it with my current mouse and it doesn't move at all with a light swipe of 4 fingers. Up or down. So if they could update the software to allow that, it might be fine.

billysea
Oct 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
Is there a way for me to set shortcuts for quick access on "Spaces", "Dashboard" or "Expose"? I use those a lot on my mighty mouse.

Kebabselector
Oct 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
It looks nice, but I don't want another Bluetooth mouse after the Mighty Mouse failed (though I shouldn't have to take this one apart every 3-4 months). Also after buying a wired MM I realised how heavy the 2 AA's made the BT MM.

Hopefully a USB version might be on the cards.

Still as I said, looks nice. I wonder how many the local Apple store will have on display? Afterall as it's Bluetooth it'll probably go walkies in my local store. (Can't recall a BT MM being using in store)

NoSmokingBandit
Oct 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
Just looked at the price

$70 US!!!!

HAHAHA

Indeed.
At first i thought "well, this is an interesting, yet odd concept"
Then i saw the price tag. No way am i dropping $70 on a mouse, regardless of its magical abilities.

kornyboy
Oct 20, 2009, 02:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

This is very interesting. I want to check it out even if I don't buy it. I wonder if they will be in the shelves this week in the Apple Store.

crisss1205
Oct 20, 2009, 02:35 PM
As already mentioned, you don't want them the same. When you scroll on a normal mouse, you use a single finger - not two.

I'm waiting to find out what the surface is like - optimally, it would be close to the glass surface on the MBPs. They're always smooth as silk. I'd hate to go back to a sticky (by comparison) plastic surface.

A bit off topic, but has anyone else noticed the BT keyboard now only requires two batteries, not three?
I did and I also noticed that the plastic on the bottom of the keyboard the keyboard has been moved to the middle and not the end by the power button.

MorphingDragon
Oct 20, 2009, 02:37 PM
Wow Apple manages to release something apparently less usable and ergonomic then the Mighty Mouse, call me speechless.

I'm dumbfounded.

MacFly123
Oct 20, 2009, 02:38 PM

Love it! Haha :D

looks sweet though

EXACTLY my thoughts. I'm sure they will add them with a software update but come on Apple!!! Seriously, where is the pinch and rotate??? :confused: :( Also, I want rotate to switch tabs in Safari, and two finger swipe up to go to the top of a page, and two fingers swipe down to go to the bottom. These should be no-brainers!

But overall it looks AWESOME and I can't wait to get it! :D

iBlob
Oct 20, 2009, 02:39 PM

I am always using the side-buttons in my mighty mouse (for Exposé). I do agree about needing to be able to pushing the scroll wheel for a third button).

ECJ
Oct 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
Wonder when they will be available in the Apple Stores? Local Apple store doesn't know when they will get them in stock. Time to kick the Might Mouse to the curb.

Works4Me
Oct 20, 2009, 02:43 PM
I was excited about this until I found out it can only do half of the gestures a track pad can. Is it technically too difficult for it to track 3 fingers?
Until apple can truly make this a mouse that does what others cannot, I will be sticking with my trusty wired logitech 2-button scroll wheel mouse.
All this 'magic' mouse does is the same things the horrid 'mighty' mouse did with a facelift.
I was hoping for true innovation, maybe in time....

Actually, it does less. No access to Exposé...

frosse
Oct 20, 2009, 02:46 PM
I think it looks great :)

Unprocessed1
Oct 20, 2009, 02:47 PM

What are you talking about? People who have used it say it's easier to use than the mighty mouse!

NT1440
Oct 20, 2009, 02:51 PM
Actually, it does less. No access to Exposé...

Thats what the F3 button is for...

synth3tik
Oct 20, 2009, 02:53 PM
It looks even more frustrating then the mighty mouse. :(

arkmannj
Oct 20, 2009, 02:53 PM
does it allow squeezing like the current mighty mouse ?

jedijoe
Oct 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
Safari's probably a little more snappier when using this mouse.

Johnnnny
Oct 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
Damn it, when will they make a rechargeable wireless mouse?

FerdiV
Oct 20, 2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

Isn't the wireless keyboard updated as well?

"The Apple Wireless Keyboard now requires just two AA batteries — one less than the previous model."

jedijoe
Oct 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
no expose buttons, tiny form-factor, not self-rechargeable.

I'll stick with my Logitech MX900 bluetooth. Plenty of buttons to map to expose and such, wireless and recharge dock. Hopefully this mouse never dies on me!

Magic Mouse II needs to be more ergonomic (meaning they need to produce and right and left handed versions and fit to a person's hand), and provide a pad/dock that recharges the mouse via induction charging.

Mattie Num Nums
Oct 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Um.. why not just remove the mouse completely and give external track pads. Gesturing while attempting to move a mouse seems like a chore.

NT1440
Oct 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Magic Mouse II needs to be more ergonomic (meaning they need to produce and right and left handed versions and fit to a person's hand), and provide a pad/dock that recharges the mouse via induction charging.

??

The damn thing is symmetrical, how more ergonomic can you get for right/left hands?

mtrctyjoe
Oct 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
OK... I watched the video....but I have not tried the thing yet. Here is my first impression.... mainly - I right and left click..... that is what I do..... in the video I see the guy raise one finger and push down with the other?

What if you like to keep both fingers on the mouse at all times?

This is why I hated the mighty mouse - I could never get the thing to right click.

I predict the same problem here.

BTW
Oct 20, 2009, 03:13 PM
Apple has always been bad and creating mice. Remember the hocky puck for the original iMac?

This one looks like a bar of soap. Was there any ergonomic design aspects considered for this?

Microsoft, as much as anyone likes to bash them, makes some nice mice.

NT1440
Oct 20, 2009, 03:14 PM
Apple has always been bad and creating mice. Remember the hocky puck for the original iMac?

This one looks like a bar of soap. Was there any ergonomic design aspects considered for this?

Microsoft, as much as anyone likes to bash them, makes some nice mice.
So you cite bad ergonomics by comparing it to look like soap?:rolleyes:

Why don't you actually use it in your friggin hand before bitching?

glxyjones
Oct 20, 2009, 03:18 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I was hoping for more MBP Trackpad type of functionality and feel. Like 3 and 4 finger gesturing which you could customize to give you access to dashboard/expose.

I am not a huge fan of my current mighty mouse but losing that functionality is a show stopper for me. Now, adding such ability through a software update seems completely doable, but why they actually made a device that had less functionality than the current model is beyond me.

MorphingDragon
Oct 20, 2009, 03:18 PM
??

The damn thing is symmetrical, how more ergonomic can you get for right/left hands?

By having a fudgin mouse hump.

jamesarm97
Oct 20, 2009, 03:21 PM
Damn it, when will they make a rechargeable wireless mouse?

Saw the induction charging mat at BestBuy the other night. They had a iPhone and iPod adapter that fits on the back. Too bad they could not build that into the mouse, then make the mouse pad the charging base so it charges all the time.

jedijoe
Oct 20, 2009, 03:24 PM
??

ergonomic means to provide optimum comfort. you can shape it to a particular hand. just look at other brands that produce a right/left handed mice.

The symmetrical shape allows both hands, but is not optimal, since it has to fit both hands. The thumb just rests on the edge, instead of a shaped side, like most logitech mice. Plus the low profile design gives the user nothing to rest their hand on. I've tried using a mighty mouse and other smaller designed mice for an 8hr+ day. No way. IMHO, the larger, shaped mouse really makes a difference over a long day.

http://www.cosmo.md/images/products/1672.jpg

theBigD23
Oct 20, 2009, 03:32 PM
Looks like we cannot access expose from the mouse? If so, that is less functional than my 10 year old mouse.

Shivetya
Oct 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
It looks even more frustrating then the mighty mouse. :(

Thank you!

I figure it will never leave the box. I am very happy with my logitech mice.

alpinadvl

LMAO !!!!

thanks for that !! :)

aafuss1
I like the new design-elegant and it's bluetooth.

Also looks like the cover over the sensor has been redone-with a iPod hold switch type slider.

NT1440
Oct 20, 2009, 03:35 PM
<snip>

Again, have you actually held this mouse? No? Then shut up and quit whining.:rolleyes:

brendon2020
Oct 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
still not self rechargeable, gonna have to wait on a few reviews or going to the apple store to test it out.

Aadhil
Oct 20, 2009, 03:39 PM
I just ordered one :)

GorillaPaws
Oct 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
...regardless of its magical abilities.

So far the only magic I've seen is making the 3rd and 4th buttons dissappear. Let's hope Apple can complete the trick by making them re-appear in the magic mouse II, or at the very least a software update that will shoehorn the functionality in somehow.

viccles
Oct 20, 2009, 03:44 PM
I ordered one :D

opuslab
Oct 20, 2009, 03:45 PM

CD labeling software "Discus" is made by company called Magic Mouse. I've used it for several years since the OS 9 days. It was actually quite popular, even Toast included a lite version of Discus.

calderone
Oct 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
I was bummed about the lack of a dedicated Expose trigger, but then I remembered hot corners. I ordered one.

saschke
Oct 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Ordered. :)

Nuvi
Oct 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Its funny how Apple has managed to produce kick ass systems but never ever a decent mouse. Honestly how hard is it to make a good mouse... Its not like there isn't examples around. Hell, the problem is in Apple's DNA which sees anything other then one button unholy aka admitting that Gates got one thing right. I don't know what it takes for Apple to realize that users just want kicks ass ergonomics and excellent customization options with many buttons.

scott523
Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
OK... I watched the video....but I have not tried the thing yet. Here is my first impression.... mainly - I right and left click..... that is what I do..... in the video I see the guy raise one finger and push down with the other?

What if you like to keep both fingers on the mouse at all times?

This is why I hated the mighty mouse - I could never get the thing to right click.

I predict the same problem here.
I agree! I watched the video too and that guy literally raised his finger before every click! No way in hell am I going to do that for every click, RPG game or not. I'm wondering why no one else besides Madog has mentioned this problem in this thread..

However, I didn't get any hands-on with this magic mouse yet and maybe the guy in the video raised his finger just to show that he was clicking? I highly doubt that's the case.

TheSpaz
Oct 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
I agree! I watched the video too and that guy literally raised his finger for every click! No way in hell am I going to do that for every click, RPG game or not. I'm wondering why no one else besides Madog has mentioned this problem in this thread..

However, I didn't get any hands-on with this magic mouse yet and maybe the guy in the video raised his finger just to show that he was clicking? I highly doubt that's the case.

Perfectly fine for me… I already raise my fingers until I click. Hehe. The Mighty Mouse taught me that one.

Nuvi
Oct 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
I agree! I watched the video too and that guy literally raised his finger for every click! No way in hell am I going to do that for every click, RPG game or not. I'm wondering why no one else besides Madog has mentioned this problem in this thread..

However, I didn't get any hands-on with this magic mouse and maybe the guy in the video raised his finger just to show that he was clicking? I highly doubt that's the case.

The "right click - raise left finger" thing was already with Mighty Mouse. I have it and I have to say that in the long run it doesn't feel comfortable.

EDIT: Thought you meant the right click, sorry... Regarding Magic Mouse I think there is tactile feed back and actual movement so you don't have to raise your finger every time.

LukeHarrison
Oct 20, 2009, 04:11 PM
Well, I'm still using a Microsoft mouse I swiped from college when the cheapo wireless one I bought to replace my third broken Mighty Mouse broke, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. The MS one is nothing fancy, simple two buttons and a scrollwheel, but it fits my hand perfectly, doesn't need feeding with batteries, and, well, was free :)

I like the look of the Magic Mouse, but can't justify spending £55 (or however much it is) on it.

Plus, being a drummer, I tend to tap along to whatever I'm listening to on the top of this mouse when my hand is just resting on it. I've got it perfect so I can tap adequately without accidentally clicking. I'd be concerned that the Magic Mouse would be sent mental by my constant tapping. :p

frosse
Oct 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hands on from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/new-imac-and-magic-mouse-unboxing-and-quick-hands-on/) and Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5385834/apple-magic-mouse-hands-on). They seem pretty happy with it...

ungraphic
Oct 20, 2009, 04:32 PM

?? That thing has been dead for a long time. It was a failure since it was introduced. You might even say, it died in advance.

As for this new mouse; still not buying it. Why? Because it looks like a pain in the ass. Although, as usual, its the logo/design that will get the illogicals to buy it. Heres proof;

Eric S.
Oct 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
Oh, and it's Bluetooth. Bzzt. I never want to deal with those connection problems again. I've got my Logitech V450 wireless USB, and I couldn't be happier.

flottenheimer
Oct 20, 2009, 04:34 PM
Looks very promising. I've had a really hard time finding a mouse that wasn't too thick. Found one from Logitec. But this new Apple mouse looks thinner. It looks ideal.

I'm thinking: This could be the first ever Apple mouse, that's actually comfortable to use.

Looking forward to trying it.

Coruscanti
Oct 20, 2009, 04:40 PM
The original Magic Mouse:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/entertainment_75_years_of_mickey_mouse_/img/7.jpg

Even the bottom looks great.

Stridder44
Oct 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
+1

This is fail

How is this fail? Everything about this new mouse is awesome!

apfhex
Oct 20, 2009, 04:48 PM
Two AA Batteries make for a heavy mouse. A heavy mouse is a jerky mouse, and no fun to do accurate work with.
I beg to differ. I use a wireless MS Intellimouse at work with two AA's (it can also run on one, but runs for 6 months with two) and it's not what I would consider heavy at all. Not as light as my Razer of course but lighter than the MX Rev. I wonder what the battery life on the Magic Mouse will be like...

jettredmont
Oct 20, 2009, 04:49 PM

Funny. I do that with my Mighty Mouse every once in a while without even thinking about it. Just try to do it a few times and your thumb will figure out how to hold the buttons without pressing them in.

Also, if you really have a deal with it, go into System Prefs and disable the side buttons. It's not hard to do.

I'm not picking one up, because the lack of the Expose button and the scroll-wheel button (open link in new tab in Safari ... although for some reason Safari has been reticent to do this recently unless I go into the mouse prefs and disable/enable mouse button 3 while Safari is up ...) are far more important to me than the gunk-free trackball. I REALLY hate the trackball, and would buy a multi-button mouse with multitouch in an instant. But not when the only use for multitouch is a web-browsing gimmick (dedicated mouse buttons/gestures for forward and backward in a web browser is SO 1998 ... and it was a stupid gimmick then too!)

If Apple fixes all these ills by a software update, my credit card will be ready to bid Mr Mighty fond adieu. Until then, though, I wouldn't be able to use the mouse so no point in getting it and hoping that Apple fixes it in the future.

a cat *miaow*
Oct 20, 2009, 04:51 PM
Was wondering. Do Apple have a department for ergonomics? They really should look into it.

MorphingDragon
Oct 20, 2009, 04:52 PM
The original Magic Mouse:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/entertainment_75_years_of_mickey_mouse_/img/7.jpg

Even the bottom looks great.

OMG Fantasia, I remember that. It gave me nightmares. Just like the Goosebumps games.

I was like 5 or something. Though looking back on it, its not a dodgy as the never ending story.

jettredmont
Oct 20, 2009, 04:53 PM

Depends on how slick the teflon pads are on its bottom, and your surface. My Mighty Mouse here sitting next to me on my desktop would gladly sit in place with a light four-finger gesture over it. In fact "lightly" is a bit of an overstatement: I can give quite a bit of pressure before it starts moving around. Yet, when I put my whole hand on the mouse and move it around it's smooth as can be.

In the end, how do people use four-finger gestures on a trackpad? It's not while they are moving the mouse around, right? Same would be true here. To activate Expose, lift your hand from the mouse and gently swipe your four fingers across it, then set your hand back down to move the mouse again.

celticpride678
Oct 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don’t know about this...I am thinking that by mistake someone might move their fingers and the mouse thinks that it is multi-touch. I think an update was still needed though.

moetownslick
Oct 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
I was bummed about the lack of a dedicated Expose trigger, but then I remembered hot corners. I ordered one.

exactly. i just ordered as well. hot corners will work for me just fine.

achtung!
Oct 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
bad bad bad...
good looking toy, to keep on the shelves.
bad for the wrists, even worse than mighty mouse. this is a touch pad! oh god! someone in apple needs vacations.

apple, give us multitouch tablet instead of crappy mouses. move on, stop wasting time and money with these weak mouse attempts, cause you'll never get it. period.

cheers

jettredmont
Oct 20, 2009, 05:05 PM

I find I'm always accidentally hitting hot corners. Haven't used hot corners for any extended period of time since about 1999 or 2000 (on a Windows PC). When I've tried the again since, I usually hit them after bringing a video full-screen (especially since Flash players choose to forget to hide the mouse cursor about one in four times, so I need to move it off to the side so it isn't distracting). On the same note, I find the mouse-to-the-side "warp" Spaces / virtual desktops too temperamental to be useful.

Not to say it won't work for you. If you don't actually USE or NEED the third and fourth buttons then obviously it's no big deal that they have gone missing.

For me, though, I had a hard time going from five buttons to four (ended up giving up the desktop expose trigger in favor of keeping app expose for the fourth button) when my ancient MS mouse went south. There's no way I'm going down to two buttons again. It's just stupid.

Note, as suggested elsewhere, if the two-finger swipe actions could be commandeered to act like buttons three and four, I'd be happy. But, until Apple does that via SWUpdate, I'm not spending $70 for an attractive but useless-to-me desktop adornment.

iMaconApple
Oct 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
So this will work on my black MacBook? If so I'll get one after work today..my old mighty mouse is beat up..

ungraphic
Oct 20, 2009, 05:07 PM
So this will work on my black MacBook? If so I'll get one after work today..my old mighty mouse is beat up..

Get a real mouse instead.