Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
I wanted to see if anyone knows if the new Apple Remote works with the AppleTV. The description speaks to iPods, iPhones, and Macs, but not AppleTV. Thanks!

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC377?mco=MTMzNzQ4ODg

Link to Canada's store if anyone wants to see it.

At the bottom it says: "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver."

Just mentions Apple products, assume that means ATV... I hope (maybe even my HiFi)? Pretty sleek... though lacks the motion sensor that would be needed to play games on the Apple TV (ha ha ha)

parkds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
It seem odd they would not specifically mention the AppleTV. Makes me a bit concerned for the device's future? Or maybe there will be an even better AppleTV remote down the road (probably a pipe dream though).

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
It seem odd they would not specifically mention the AppleTV. Makes me a bit concerned for the device's future? Or maybe there will be an even better AppleTV remote down the road (probably a pipe dream though).

I'm still holding out that the apple tablet device will be focused on media consumpution (audio/movie/"print") and not be a netbook for typical computing (maybe they'll call it a consumputer)... will use an iphone like os (with things like background apps, ability to connect bluetooth peripherals etc to set it apart from the iphone).
Then to go along with that will be a new (or re-focused) focus on media content viewable on your apple computer, tablet, iphone and your living room (via apple tv/whatever it becomes). That's when they would introduce the new product for our living rooms and make it an actual product, not a hobby, as it would integrate with the rest of the ecosystem and this new media content (itunes lp-esque)...

SO off-topic, I apologize, but that's basically why I think no appletv hardware and/or sofware updates.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's the same remote, just in a different package.

and as said before, it says "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver."

kinda covers everything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.