PDA

View Full Version : We don't need no stinkin' login

MacBytes
Jul 20, 2004, 10:50 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: We don\'t need no stinkin\' login (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040720115059)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 20, 2004, 10:51 AM
figured this was appropriate due to the fact that anytime I link a story that requires registration, in the first 3 posts of the macbytes thread someone always complains about it. :D

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2004, 11:02 AM
it really is annoying though. i know most times when an article is here someone posts the story, but other times, it gets annoying. come on, why do we need to register if it's free?

Stike
Jul 20, 2004, 11:14 AM
come on, why do we need to register if it's free?
For the purpose of user identification - who posts what on this forum, for example ;)

shamino
Jul 20, 2004, 12:01 PM
For the purpose of user identification - who posts what on this forum, for example ;)
That's all wonderful for a forum - where people are posting stuff. It is perefectly reasonable to require this. It allows readers to know who said what, and the site admins can shut down any accounts that start abusing the system (e.g. spamming).

(Of course, there are forums that don't require registration - like SlashDot - but they end up suffering some problems as a result. You get a lot of anonymous spamming and flaming that must be moderated/blocked by the administrators based on less-personal information like IP address - which isn't nearly as reliable.)

Read-only sites (like newspapers) are altogether different. The only reason for registration on something like that is because a greedy site-owner wants to gather information to sell to spammers. The New York Times doesn't know who I am if I buy a copy of their newspaper in a local store. Why should they have to know who I am if I want to read the same article on their web site?

mainstreetmark
Jul 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
I think that story should have required a login, just for the sake of irony.

nagromme
Jul 20, 2004, 08:20 PM
The reason they have logins is because it lets them charge more to advertisers. Even a zipcode profile of your readership has value to draw advertisers. Even a database with bogus info mixed in.

I don't like it... or Internet advertising at all... or TV ads... or any ads... but I like it better than sites vanishing because they make no money, and I like it better than paying to view news.