PDA

View Full Version : I wish that my iPod did this....

crackrock
Jul 20, 2004, 11:46 AM
I am in the market for a new car... Don't know what brand I want or what model, but it's got to be reliable, fast, confortable, good on miles, and have connectivity to my iPod. Of course, the BMWs have all of that - but I don't have fourty grand. I'm looking to spend about $20,000 and I want something brand new. I really love the way that the Saturn Ions look, but a friend of mine recently got one and it would not be cool for me to get the same kind of car. Ford Focuses are nice but they seem sort of generic looking. The rest of the market is a bit confusing to me and there isn't anything that really stands out as something I could see myself driving. I would prefer to buy something American, so Hondas and Toyotas are out of my consideration set. Plus, I'd never buy a Toyota just because it has "Toy" in the name - I don't want a toy, I want a serious car.

Currently, I use one of those tape deck converter things that plug into the headphone jack but there are things I don't like about it. First, it loses sound quality during the conversion from iPod to tape deck. I want to hear pick scrapes and breathing. Second, it uses the iPod battery, which means that I only have 7 or 8 hours of life before I have to take it out and recharge it.

I don't like those FM connectors like the iTrip that plug into the top of the iPod. A friend of mine has one and it sounds terrible, plus it's just more batteries to change. I want clean sound.

The iPod is roughly the same size as a tape, but there aren't any connectors on the market that allow me to plug my iPod right into my car. It fits nicely into my tape deck but obviously doesn't play - so why can't some car company make some sort of tape deck that I can just plug my iPod into. I don't want my iPod in my glove compartment, but right into my stereo.

Since I want a new car, the last thing I want to do is tear out the factory stereo and put in some aftermarket one. I plan on buying a new car sometime before this winter, but I have no idea which one to get. If there were a model in my price range that allowed for iPod connectivity without any adapters that would strongly influence my decision.

I need a new car, but have no idea which kind to get. I want a brand new car that has a dock built into the tape deck.

-Crackrock

imnotquitesure
Jul 20, 2004, 12:19 PM
Some stereos have an auxillary jack on the front or even the back of the stereo. If its on the back you have to take the deck out and run the cable out of the air conditioner or some other hole. If its in the front you just buy a cable and your golden. Im not sure if factory car stereos usually come with an aux in port in the front. I have an after market stereo with one.

Mantat
Jul 20, 2004, 12:28 PM
My father new Nissan Centra (basic kit) has a aux in in front of it. I just had to buy a 5$ cable to plug it into the iPod and I am set.

Only problem is the battery. But there is a solution, I saw somewhere a iPod charger that plug into the lighter socket. With these two gizmos you will be set! Just look around for a car with the aux-in in front, most new cars have it when they have a CD player.

Oh, and about buying american car, I hope that you know that most asian cars are built into the USA while some US cars are made in mexico or canada. If you really want to support local economy, double check that...

And as a good ecologist, I would like to point out hybrid cars, some states have a taxe refund policy so check this out too.

And please, no SUV, there are enough of these on the road already...

Happy shoping!

wPod
Jul 20, 2004, 12:39 PM
what is wrong withthe mini cooper? it has the same input as the BMW but costs less. . .gets good gas millage and certainly does not look like a typical car! or go for the VW jetta. . . thats what i drive, its nice. . . all you need is an aftermarket deck to plug your iPod directly into. . . thats what i do. i know for the jettas there is even a kit to convert the CD changer cable into an iPod cable.

aloofman
Jul 20, 2004, 12:58 PM
If the Japanese name "Toyota" reminds you too much of a coincidentally-similar English word, and that's the reason you won't buy a Toyota, then that's just silly. You were kidding, right?

The Saturn Ion got very mixed reviews. Some reviewers liked it OK. Car & Driver called it the worst new American car in more than a decade, but they later backed off a little. The Ford Focus has been subject to more than a dozen recalls since it was introduced in North America. Maybe they got all the bugs out. Maybe.

My truck does not have an aux jack, so I use a tape adaptor with a Belkin iPod connector. It connects only to the dock connection at the base of the iPod and is charged through the cigarette lighter. There's a plug on it for the tape adaptor and I leave both plugged in all the time. All I have to do is plug in the iPod once and turn the stereo to "tape". It works pretty well and the audio quality is pretty good. Occasionally there are some songs that just don't compress very well, but those don't sound as good on my speakers at home either.

The automakers are hip to the MP3 player craze. If their model has a dedicated audio jack, they'll list it as a feature. Individual dealers can also install some stereo modifications too.

DavidLeblond
Jul 20, 2004, 01:04 PM
If I could afford it I'd get a Toyota Prius. If you're buying an American car, be prepared to spend buttloads on getting it repaired. I currently own a Ford Focus and its a big money pit.

clr900
Jul 20, 2004, 01:08 PM
If you don't need a ton of room get a Mini Cooper. They are amazing cars and are around the 20k range. You can get a brand new Cooper S for just under 20,000. They are made by BMW and are great machines. I do not own one....yet, but I have driven one and love them. Go to www.miniusa.com.

crackrock
Jul 20, 2004, 01:26 PM
I just need a car to get me to work and back, no need for anything more. I looked on the mini website and that's a cool looking website, and a damn cool looking vehicle. I customized it with all the features I needed and it's only about 20. Nice.

There is a dealership about a half hour away, I'll definately have to put "test driving a mini" into my schedule, see how it feels, see if I could see myself in one. I like the way the dash looks, how the speedometer is in the center instead of right in front of you for better visibility. That's one of the things that I liked most about the Saturn Ion. I also like how it's a unique looking car, instead of the 50 billion Focuses you see around. And iPod connectivity is just icing on the cake.

I've got to do some more research though, talk to someone who owns one. I want a car that's never going to develop problems, and if DavidLeblond is having troubles with his Focus that's enough to keep me from buying one.

See, I know they make adapters that hook your iPod up to everything, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want something plugged in my tape deck and something else plugged in my cigarette lighter just so I can listen to my music. I want to be able to slide my iPod into a slot (like a tape deck) and have access to all my songs without having to be concerned about battery life, the volume of the iPod, or radio signal interference. The mini is looking goooooood....

thanks all!

-cr

clr900
Jul 20, 2004, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear you have taken an interest in the Mini. I highly suggest you get one, you won't be disappointed. I also love the interior....and the exterior. What color combination do you like?

jamdr
Jul 20, 2004, 02:00 PM
The fact that you are even considering a Saturn ION means you really don't know anything about cars and haven't bothered to do any research. For years, Saturns have been complete junk--underpowered, unreliable. If you want to get the most out of your 20K, do not buy a Saturn as they are more trouble than they're worth.

The best car you could get for your money is the Honda Accord EX (4-cyl.) You may also want to look into the Toyota Camry LE. I also like Volkswagens, but keep in mind that the Jetta is a very feminine car (of course, so is the Saturn, so you might be into that). The Passat, on the other hand, is a very well-designed and highly recommended sedan, and the base model starts at around 20K.

Fords, for the most part, are junk, especially the Focus (!) and so are all the other cards you mentioned. If you really want the best car for your money, take one of my suggestions. However, if you care more about iPod connectivity than reliability, or the way the company's name sounds, than go buy whatever the heck you want and keep in mind that your car will break down more often and cost you many more thousands of dollars than you originally paid.

There are many solutions to connecting your iPod to your car stereo. One of my friends has this mini broadcaster that she plugs into her iPod that allows her to tune into a certain station to listen to her music. There is also just the old casette adapter. Hondas, I believe, and probably other cars too, have the option of a built-in MP3 player that you could transfer your music collection to. It's really not that big of a deal compared to the other factors you should be considering when spending 20K on a new car.

Sabbath
Jul 20, 2004, 02:06 PM
Another vote for the mini, excellent little cars, and the only one which will meet your iPod criteria at the moment, plus much better on the environment than a big American car. I would check out which stereo you need to get however as I am not sure that all the available models are supported.

crap freakboy
Jul 20, 2004, 02:25 PM
I can recommend the Mini, plenty of room inside, 'reto' styling, good milage, eye-catching exterior and great build quality. A friend of mine just got one of the first convertibles in the UK and the thing that struck me the most about it was how much fun it was to drive. Imagine the manoeuverability of a go-kart combined with the feel of a much, much larger car. Check out edesignuk .mac galleries of his mini at http://dotmac.edesignuk.net/, you gotta love the stripes! Perhaps pm him to get his take on all aspects of owning one. I've found most mini owners are like mac users in that they wax lyrical about them to anyone who'll listen :)

jtgotsjets
Jul 20, 2004, 02:27 PM
As people have said, the Mini has the same iPod connectivity as the BMWs.

Also, if you check www.kbb.com, you'll find that if you search around enough, a used 2003 BMW could only be about 20000.

The setup I have in my car ('89 Saab 900 Turbo, so no native iPod connection ability) is this:
I put a new stereo unit in it, one with an "MP3 in" plug on the front (which is really an Aux in mini stereo plug in).
I got a 1/8 to 1/8 cable from RadioShack.
Plugged that from my stereo to my iPod remote.
Plugged that into my iPod.
Then I hid all the wires in my ashtray (I don't smoke), and clipped the remote to one of the wires going down into the ashtray.
I set my ipod on one of my console shelf thingies.
I now have a setup almost as good as a BMW. It doesn't charge my iPod battery, but it does give me easy access to the iPod rather than have it stuck in my glovebox.

homerjward
Jul 20, 2004, 02:53 PM
i must agree with most of the people here. get a MINI. the cool factor, the ipod connectivity, it's a bmw, what more could i say?

afields
Jul 20, 2004, 02:58 PM
I wish it had line in for recording. :(

stevehaslip
Jul 20, 2004, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry but you put your ipod in the tape deck?!?!?!? I cant believe that it actually fit!!!! let alone that you'd put your ipod in there! didn't it get majorly scratched?!??

(oh yeah... back on topic)

Get the mini but not the mini S because the only thing that makes it better is the chip that controls the engine, and you can buy that seperately from a dealer for about 100. it makes it faster because of the way it controls the engine. (thats what top gear said) the only other thing that you will be missing is the swanky badge on the back. (which again you can buy)

you will save yourself something along the lines of 1000?? (i think) :D

maise
Jul 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
I have a Honda Element and would highly recomend it. It fits right in your price range, drives great in all weather conditions and it is quite quick. It has an aux cable to the right of the dash which works perfectly with my ipod. Its an honda so its pretty reliable.

sigamy
Jul 20, 2004, 03:30 PM
Go for a Jetta. All Jettas come pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk. Go to Logjam electronics and buy an Aux Input Converter.
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

This will plug into the CD changer port and convert it into an aux input. Then go to Radio Shack and buy 2 cables, run the cables back up to the cabin and you are set.

You just switch the factory stereo to CD and then use the iPod for controls. Not as slick as BMW, but very usable.

Hate to say it but you aren't going to find many great American cars under $25k. You've eliminated some of the best small cars (Honda, Toyota) for no real reason. Your short list should include Civic, Accord, Corolla, Mini Cooper, Jetta, Golf and maybe Subaru.

seamuskrat
Jul 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
As a new car owner myself, I must chime in. I researched MANy cars in the 20K range. For me, it was the Toyota RAV4. Its not a toy, regardless of name.

But for reliability, safety, and repairs, and mileage, a Honda or Toyota will do you well.

That said, I paid $45 to have an RCA jack put into my AMP so I can plug in my iPod. I have a center console with lighter socket, so i charge and leave it all tucked out of sight and used sticky tape for the wired remote on the dash. All neat and clean and easy.

rueyeet
Jul 20, 2004, 04:07 PM
Iif DavidLeblond is having troubles with his Focus that's enough to keep me from buying one. A perfect example of "your mileage may vary"....I've had a Focus for a couple years, and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. And I don't even take all that great care of it, either, and drive the heck out of it. Not a high-performance car, no, but adequate for the price. (Of course, the thing will probably break down out of spite, now that I said that.)

Mini Coopers are indeed cool little cars. :cool: As long as you aren't toting around large stuff like golf clubs, or want to take it camping with friends, or capacity-hogging stuff like that, it's certainly big enough for point A to point B. With music, of course. :D

crackrock
Jul 20, 2004, 04:34 PM
I put the iPod in the tape deck to make a point, that it should be able to connect to my radio just by sliding it in. No - it didn't scratch it anymore than it already is.

And, no - I don't really know much about cars. I know how to drive one and put gas in it - that's about it. I just know what my friends tell me about thier cars and whatever information I pick up from the TV.

Well I looked at a Honda dealership just a minute ago, and nothing really caught my eye. They have better mileage than any of the Fords, but except for the Elements, they all look very plain. I sat inside an Accord for a minute and it didn't feel right, even though it was kind of cheap. Also, it did not have an iPod hookup or even a line in. I want something that's going to work with my iPod without having to do any modifications to it, that's the point of getting a new car, right?

I also stopped by a Chevy dealership and took a look at some of the Caveliers. Don't like those either.... even though I could easily afford one. They look cheap.

Didn't test drive anything today, but I'll soon make it out to the BMW dealership to check out a Mini. Those look very, very cool... but I need to see one in person.

Currently I drive a 94 Buick LeSabre that I bought used a couple of years ago, and although it's a nice looking vehicle it's starting to break down. It's old, the transmission is starting to slip, the heating and air conditioning doesn't work anymore, and it's rusting up really bad near the bottom. I figure since I commute an hour each way to work that I should get something that's comfortable with all the features...

-crack

VooDooPope
Jul 20, 2004, 04:36 PM
As the owner of a 2003 MINI Cooper S and President of the Houston MINI Motoring Society I'd highly reccomend the MINI.

Drive one and you will be hooked.

LeeTom
Jul 20, 2004, 04:47 PM
Why don't you get the best car you can buy, after test driving several, and then buy an Alpine car stereo, that is compatible with the iPod? They are even better than the BMW connection, because you have access to every song on your iPod, not just 4 or 5 on-the-go playlists.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

They have other models available, I believe, just a quick Googled link.

Edit: Available in late September... Get your favorite car, then get the best iPod interface!

Lee Tom

justinshiding
Jul 20, 2004, 06:13 PM
Get the mini but not the mini S because the only thing that makes it better is the chip that controls the engine, and you can buy that seperately from a dealer for about 100. it makes it faster because of the way it controls the engine. (thats what top gear said) the only other thing that you will be missing is the swanky badge on the back. (which again you can buy)

you will save yourself something along the lines of 1000?? (i think) :D

Hmmm I agree the minis are nice cars...I test drove three of them at my local Ikea (....yes yes at an Ikea.) The base model is VERY fun to drive, it's peppy , and very nimble. The S is much faster, and it's not a chip that makes it so. It's supercharged (while the base is normally aspirated)...so if you want something significantly more "fun" to drive , I'd say go for the S.

Really if you're just looking for something nice and zippy for a daily driving kind of car. I would stick with a japanese car (honda or toyota) I've had two toyotas, and NOT ONE THING has gone wrong with them *mumbles* that I didnt cause myself *end mumble.* Right now I've got a 99 solara sle v6...it's roomy , comfortable, decently peppy, and very nicely equipped...mmmm jbl sound system. Really there are a lot of nice cars out there to choose from. I'd still say , like someone else above me said , to stay away from american cars unless you really like the idea of becoming close friends with your mechanic.

Go out and test drive some ..."Fast" is very subjective ...I would say my car is fast , but then again it's not meant to be a race car. A friend of mine has an rsx-s and that's fast...but it's a different kind of fast.

And I'll stop rambling...now...

LifeIsCheap
Jul 20, 2004, 06:24 PM
Just wanted to add my very unbiased vote for the Mini to this debate and point you all to this other macrumors thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=80272) where someone else is having a very similar dilemma....

Vlade
Jul 20, 2004, 06:44 PM
Plus, I'd never buy a Toyota just because it has "Toy" in the name - I don't want a toy, I want a serious car.

That has to be the worst logic I have ever seen... and the fact that you are serious scares me.

I drive a VW Passat, but before I bought it I asked my car savvy friend and he told me that toyotas are very reliable good cars, and I tend to agree, even though I am not that big on cars.

iChan
Jul 20, 2004, 06:49 PM
cooper s... get a Liquid Yellow, just like me!!! nothing better!

darkwing
Jul 20, 2004, 06:49 PM
Check out a Pontiac Sunfire. Cheap, neat looking, and fairly reliable from what I hear. Don't listen to naysayers about American cars being low reliability. The 2003 JD Powers and Associates survey went, Lexus, Infinity, and then Buick. VW and Volvo were at the bottom of the list. Don't believe me? Check it yourself. (Porsche was #4..wow?)

Anyway, I have a 99 Pontiac Trans Am taht's going to hit 100,000 miles in about 2 days. It hasn't given me any problems at all since the warrany expired except for a burned out headlight and a blown fuse. People say they're horrible for reliability..but obviously they aren't. My girlfriend's family's Honda Civic (a 95 I think) has been nothing but brake and engine probelms from day 1, and her dad's Toyota truck with 50k miles on it breaks down every other week. Their Avalon is fine, but that as like 9k miles on it.

It really doesn't matter who makes the car. You either get lucky or you don't. Just take good care of it!

To further prove my point, my car before the Pontiac was a 97 Camaro z-28. Different motor, but same everything else. The T-tops in the Z leaked uncontrollably and they were unable to solve it. Not a single leak ever in the Trans Am. Same exact body, same exact T-tops. Luck of the draw.

Steven

iChan
Jul 20, 2004, 06:52 PM
That has to be the worst logic I have ever seen... and the fact that you are serious scares me.

I drive a VW Passat, but before I bought it I asked my car savvy friend and he told me that toyotas are very reliable good cars, and I tend to agree, even though I am not that big on cars.

hahah, i agree with you... "toy" in toyota? hahhaha.

"lamb" in lambourghini... "I don't want a baby sheep"
"rar" in ferrari... "I don't want a car making stupid monster noises"
"ex" in lexus... "i don't want my car to be my 'ex'"

twisted if ever i saw it.

mojohanna
Jul 20, 2004, 06:57 PM
I am in the market for a new car... Don't know what brand I want or what model, but it's got to be reliable, fast, confortable, good on miles, and have connectivity to my iPod. Of course, the BMWs have all of that - but I don't have fourty grand. I'm looking to spend about $20,000 and I want something brand new. I really love the way that the Saturn Ions look, but a friend of mine recently got one and it would not be cool for me to get the same kind of car. Ford Focuses are nice but they seem sort of generic looking. The rest of the market is a bit confusing to me and there isn't anything that really stands out as something I could see myself driving. I would prefer to buy something American, so Hondas and Toyotas are out of my consideration set. Plus, I'd never buy a Toyota just because it has "Toy" in the name - I don't want a toy, I want a serious car.

Currently, I use one of those tape deck converter things that plug into the headphone jack but there are things I don't like about it. First, it loses sound quality during the conversion from iPod to tape deck. I want to hear pick scrapes and breathing. Second, it uses the iPod battery, which means that I only have 7 or 8 hours of life before I have to take it out and recharge it.

I don't like those FM connectors like the iTrip that plug into the top of the iPod. A friend of mine has one and it sounds terrible, plus it's just more batteries to change. I want clean sound.

The iPod is roughly the same size as a tape, but there aren't any connectors on the market that allow me to plug my iPod right into my car. It fits nicely into my tape deck but obviously doesn't play - so why can't some car company make some sort of tape deck that I can just plug my iPod into. I don't want my iPod in my glove compartment, but right into my stereo.

Since I want a new car, the last thing I want to do is tear out the factory stereo and put in some aftermarket one. I plan on buying a new car sometime before this winter, but I have no idea which one to get. If there were a model in my price range that allowed for iPod connectivity without any adapters that would strongly influence my decision.

I need a new car, but have no idea which kind to get. I want a brand new car that has a dock built into the tape deck.

-Crackrock
Can't help you on the car, however, I did find, thru the help of another Mac junkie what seems to be a great way to integrate any generation of iPod (inclusive of the mini) to just about any car makers vehicles.
Upsides:
Runs off of car power NOT battery (charges to I think)
Allows for operation via car's radio controls and if equipped, steering wheel controls.
iPod is still easily detached and taken with you.

Downside:
Pricey. Looks to be about $220 for the kit, but it contains all of the mounts and the wiring harnesses for your make and model.
One more thing to rip out of your car before you sell it.

Here is the link to the manufacturer:
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

It is called the ICElink (if having problems with llink, get rid of everything after .com)

I have never used this or talked to anyone who has, but it looks like an interesting alternative.

aloofman
Jul 21, 2004, 12:18 PM
I want something that's going to work with my iPod without having to do any modifications to it, that's the point of getting a new car, right?

No, it's not. Buying a car for its iPod capability is just as silly as buying a car because you like the tires it has on it. Buy a well-built car and then spend a little money to upgrade the stereo. If the new car already has iPod compatibility, that's just a bonus. Your car is not an accessory to your iPod.

crackrock
Jul 21, 2004, 05:43 PM
Are you SERIOUS??? How could you even suggest that??? Pontiacs are for women! They are designed to have big buttons and dials for long fingernails, be big on safety, and lots of storage for stuff like makeup, lipstick, and Virginia Slims. They are engineered and designed with women in mind. Look at the logo - do you think that's designed to appeal to a man or a woman - a long and slender triangle??? I'm not going to drive a womans car. I don't know a single straight man who owns a Pontiac, and i'm not going to be the first.

There are so many cars on the market but i'm still having a really tough time deciding because none of them really appeal to me. I've got the cash in hand and i'm ready to buy one right now, but still am not satisfied with my choices.

I wish I had the chance to design my own car like that Simpsons episode... I'd make something so revolutionary that everyone would want one.

:mad:

zakee00
Jul 21, 2004, 06:14 PM
....right :rolleyes:

Vlade
Jul 21, 2004, 07:00 PM
I wish I had the chance to design my own car like that Simpsons episode... I'd make something so revolutionary that everyone would want one.

Like his bubble car?

Anyways, what cars are on your short list now and what cars do you really hate?

aloofman
Jul 21, 2004, 07:38 PM
Are you SERIOUS??? How could you even suggest that??? Pontiacs are for women! They are designed to have big buttons and dials for long fingernails, be big on safety, and lots of storage for stuff like makeup, lipstick, and Virginia Slims. They are engineered and designed with women in mind. Look at the logo - do you think that's designed to appeal to a man or a woman - a long and slender triangle??? I'm not going to drive a womans car. I don't know a single straight man who owns a Pontiac, and i'm not going to be the first.

Actually, Pontiac is marketed as GM's "performance" brand. Most of its models are intended as sporty versions of family cars, like the Grand Am and Grand Prix. The new (old?) GTO is the latest of those. Pontiacs are not specially marketed toward women at all and none of their models are especially likely to be driven by women. The Sunfire is kind of an exception in that it's smaller than most of their other models.

If you'd paid attention to that episode, you'd have noticed that Homer's "revolutionary" car that everyone would want was a complete flop. Do you know anything about cars? Anything at all?

jbembe
Jul 21, 2004, 08:00 PM
Check out this website!!!

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

These Auxiliary Input Converters (also see XM/Sirius Interfaces & Adapters) will convert the CD Changer port of your factory or after-market radio to an auxiliary audio input with line level RCA jacks Logjam Electronics has THE largest selection of PIE, SoundGate and Blitzsafe auxiliary input converters on the Internet! Therefore, most items found here are IN-STOCK and ready for immediate shipment. Please email us with your application questions. We are adding new items as they become available!

Virtually a plug-n-play installation, you can quickly add a portable MP3, iPod or DVD player, satellite radio or any auxiliary sound source to your Volvo factory radio. Installation is simple as the connector on the VOL/AUX DMX V.1 matches exactly and plugs directly into the rear of your factory radio. Simply remove the factory radio and plug the VOL/AUX DMX V.1 into the CD data port in the rear of the factory radio and you're done.

They have anything from Hondas to Volvos.

I just did this simple installation on my wife's Honda with an aftermarket Pioneer. I bought the CD-RB10 Interconnecteur RCA A IP-BUS from Tweeter (which was cheaper than the prices on LOGJAM) which plugs into the port intended for a CD changer. Then, I plugged the Monster Cable from the RCA port and tucked the wire under the console so that the jack into the iPod's headphone jack came out right next to the emergency brake. We just did a road trip and it works like a charm!! SO MUCH BETTER THAN FM TRANSMITTERS!!! And ANY car stereo with the ability to add a CD changer can do this, all you need is the correct auxiliary converter cable.

EDIT: Someone beat me to this! However, I want to stress the fact that this is incredibly easy and worth the effort once you throw away the FM transmitter. The hardest part is reaching the back of the stereo.