PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Mac

mgiddy911
Jul 20, 2004, 12:30 PM
Hey, I am currently using a g3 upgraded pwrmac 8600, I am looking to upgrade to a better mac for gaming, but am on a tight budget, any ideas? I know B/W's can be bought cheeply but they lack support for AGP video, so i was thinking of looking for a lower end G4 maybe a sawtooh , but preferably a DigitalAudio system that I could upgrade over time. ANy ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks guys.

vga4life
Jul 20, 2004, 01:27 PM
Hey, I am currently using a g3 upgraded pwrmac 8600, I am looking to upgrade to a better mac for gaming, but am on a tight budget, any ideas? I know B/W's can be bought cheeply but they lack support for AGP video, so i was thinking of looking for a lower end G4 maybe a sawtooh , but preferably a DigitalAudio system that I could upgrade over time. ANy ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks guys.

Wait around for a refurb combo-drive 1.25 GHz emac to show up on Apple's "special deals" page for $699. Or buy one with a superdrive now for $849.
Then upgrade the ram to at least 512 MB.

With its 167 MHz FSB, it'll be way faster than any G4 except for the latest generation MDD regardless of how much you spend on upgrades.

I find the Radeon 9200 to be more than adequate for gaming - I've played quake 3 (and various mods like Urban Terror), C&C Generals, Warcraft III, etc. with no problems. I even use a nice external monitor with it using the screen spanning hack from http://macparts.de/ibook - works great.

-vga4life