Jul 20, 2004, 02:29 PM
My newest creation:

http://www.willanimateforfood.net/dumpy_mischief.jpg
http://www.willanimateforfood.net/dumpy_scared.jpg
http://www.willanimateforfood.net/dumpy_profile_rndr.jpg
http://www.willanimateforfood.net/dumpy.jpg

Made with my new G5. Oh yeah.

UPDATE
Just in case you care...here a newer version--more detail, etc...

http://www.willanimateforfood.net/dumpy_final2.jpg

edesignuk
Jul 20, 2004, 02:37 PM
That is amazing, brilliant work! Any chance of a short animation? :D

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 02:38 PM
Beautiful!

Well, actually, it's kind of ugly, but you intended that! ;) Great work! Keep sharing, please!

mischief
Jul 20, 2004, 02:48 PM
I'll be awaiting your next piece with great interest.

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 03:02 PM
Unless I get hired at Siggraph this year (please oh please oh please oh please) I'll definitely make a short with him. I have some ideas...

And its funny, I named the first image, "mischief"

edesignuk
Jul 20, 2004, 03:24 PM
It really is awesome, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get any job you go for in this field, you are obviously very talented. Good luck!

question fear
Jul 20, 2004, 03:33 PM
you are astounding. great work. please keep posting it. and good luck, anyone will be lucky to have you animating for them (although that little dude might give me nightmares) ;-)

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 03:41 PM
You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a job in this industry. There are so many talented people, and only so many jobs for them to get.

Even Jason Schleifer (talented animator who worked on Gollum on LOTR) had trouble finding work when LOTR wrapped up. Granted, I bet he had an easier time than I am...

He's working for Dreamworks now.

stevehaslip
Jul 20, 2004, 03:45 PM
thats really good work, as edesignuk said do you think you could post an animation of him walking or moving somehow?

its great to see just how good an eye you've got for detail when you compare the drawings to the actual 3d model. getting a job for weta digital or something would be sweet!

checked out your website too, looks sweet.

good luck!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 20, 2004, 03:49 PM
Nice!

So what version of Maya are you using on your G5? You going to get Unlimited?

Looking forward to seeing some motion :D

D

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing some motion :D

Yeah, me too. I've been working on and off for about 6 weeks on him and would really like to get some actual animation done. Only 3 weeks til Siggraph.

I do have a DIVX avi uploaded just as a face demo

www.willanimateforfood.net/face_test.avi

He's all set up and ready, including automated bouncy hair (no animation required). I just have to get busy.

Have you moved yet Mr. A?

EDIT

Oh, Maya 6 Complete. They must have optimized it out the wazoo for the G5, because it runs SO flawlessly. On my powerbook, it sucks air.

I probably wont get Unlimited, really no need.

kgarner
Jul 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
Very nice. I hope you get work soon as its a shame that someone as talented as yourself is having trouble getting a job.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 20, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hah, nice - at the end there he looks like he's about to puke :D

Moved, yes - but the furniture gets here on Thursday. Got the wireless network up and running a couple days ago(Insightbb). Once we sell the house in DC, I'll be ordering my own G5 - I'm getting ansty not having a decent work space - but all that will change soon anyway. Going to be able to get my drafting table back in my new office :D

D

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 20, 2004, 04:02 PM
Very cool, it's looking good. If I had need for 3D animated characters in any of my projects I would hire you in a second.

Keep up the great work, you will get a job soon.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 20, 2004, 04:02 PM
Really great work. Good luck at the show.

edesignuk
Jul 20, 2004, 04:03 PM
I do have a DIVX avi uploaded just as a face demo

www.willanimateforfood.net/face_test.avi
Again, brilliant, I was gonna ask to see some wire frame stuff, always looks good :cool:

How long would you say you would normally have to work to get together a fully fledged new character?

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 04:16 PM
If working full-time, without complex simulations like hair and cloth, I'd say to design a character from scratch would take me 3-4 weeks. One week to model, 1-2 weeks to do face shapes/skinning/character setup, and another to texture.

I started Dumpy late May, early June and finished him yesterday. But there were periods of days where I didnt do anything, and most days I only worked half the day. He was also pretty simple to setup, bone structure-wise. His face/mouth was complex, but his arms and legs were skinny and toony enough that I didnt need to worry about muscle simulation or blendshapes.

Doctor Q
Jul 20, 2004, 04:38 PM
He's great! Will he/she/it get a chance to star in your avatar?

Do gremlins really have 4 fingers on each hand yet only 3 toes on each foot? I haven't seen one at a zoo or in the wild, so I don't know.

Do you already have an idea for the mischief he'll get into when you animate him? Do you need (probably lame) suggestions?

I think Mischief would be a better name for the character than Dumpy. It describes what he's likely to be up to, and that'll prevent him from sounding like an 8th pal for Snow White.

The first image (dumpy_mischief) is pixelated around the eyes and feet. I'm sure you know that but it would be nice to see it fully rendered.

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:06 PM
He's great! Will he/she/it get a chance to star in your avatar?

Ha ha....maybe someday

Do you already have an idea for the mischief he'll get into when you animate him? Do you need (probably lame) suggestions?

I'll take suggestions, lame or otherwise. Right now the story (in my head) is about this little dude who lives in a dumpster and eats garbage, and comes across a broken mirror and sees himself for the first time...see? pretty lame myself.

The first image (dumpy_mischief) is pixelated around the eyes and feet. I'm sure you know that but it would be nice to see it fully rendered.

I dont know what you mean? Pixelated? Did it load correctly? Do you mean stretched textures? (soft, stretched areas, often found in CG characters)

agreenster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:28 PM
and that'll prevent him from sounding like an 8th pal for Snow White.

That's actually kind of funny. The degenerate 8th drawf, Dumpy. He lives in the caves the dwarfs mine and stumbles upon a mysterious gold ring where...*wait*

Been done already.

Doctor Q
Jul 20, 2004, 06:45 PM
My mistake about the pixelation. The image hadn't loaded all the way in Safari (but it thought it had - huh?).

I'll take suggestions, lame or otherwise. Right now the story (in my head) is about this little dude who lives in a dumpster and eats garbage, and comes across a broken mirror and sees himself for the first time.That's a fine idea. Showing reflections in a broken mirror sounds like a good challenge for an animator. (As it happens, I've been studying the physics of reflections and refractions of mirrors and lenses this week, so I'll be glad to help you if you need to know the proper index of refraction to use for a mirror half-immersed in a puddle of water next to the dumpster.)

I guess if he lives in a dumpster, Dumpy is an appropriate name. Or call him "Dumpster", which also sounds like a name (like "Webster"). Or is Dumpster a brand name?

My lamer idea was that he knows he is a CG creature, made from pixels. When he gets hungry, he starts to pixelate - like the way they obscure somebody on TV to hide their identity. His tummy starts first, with the squares starting to show. He has to eat a computer screen or VRAM chips or a PDA to nourish himself and change back to his fully rendered form. Note: My suggestions are free and you get your money's worth!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 20, 2004, 09:32 PM
That's a fine idea. Showing reflections in a broken mirror sounds like a good challenge for an animator. (As it happens, I've been studying the physics of reflections and refractions of mirrors and lenses this week, so I'll be glad to help you if you need to know the proper index of refraction to use for a mirror half-immersed in a puddle of water next to the dumpster.)

That's actually easy, since the computer does all the work for you, you just make the mirror and add a few maps to warp it. The tough part is putting life into the character.

D

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 12:11 AM
My newest creation:
Made with my new G5. Oh yeah.
So Cool!

Neat looking character.

Would love to see him animated.

Sushi

Krizoitz
Jul 21, 2004, 02:45 AM
Neat! Kinda reminds me of a cross between Slimer from GhostBusters, and that guy in StarWars:Ep1 who owns Anakin and his mom.

SilentPanda
Jul 21, 2004, 08:16 AM
Will you still post here when you're rich and famous?

agreenster
Jul 21, 2004, 08:39 AM
Will you still post here when you're rich and famous?

:rolleyes: No way man. I'll be too busy indulging my coke habit and street-surfin' for ladies in my Bentley.

I have heard he reminds people of Slimer from Ghostbusters....and I suppose thats a good thing. I kinda used him as inspiration, along with Mike from Monsters Inc

Mr. Anderson
Jul 21, 2004, 12:29 PM
a little photo shop and you have a two-legged slimer :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

D

D0ct0rteeth
Jul 21, 2004, 12:37 PM
You got mail

- Doc

agreenster
Jul 21, 2004, 01:50 PM
a little photo shop and you have a two-legged slimer :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

D

You

Are

So

Mean!

:D

But that certainly is the reason why I didnt make him green...

Pegano
Jul 21, 2004, 05:24 PM
Awesome work! Truly amazing! I watched your demo reel after I saw this character. Great usage of audio clips :D I especially liked the Godfather one :cool: Dunno if it helps, but the good ole boys over at Blizzard Entertainment are looking for a character animator right now, or so I've heard.

etoiles
Jul 21, 2004, 06:05 PM
cool stuff. Can you post the wires, rig ? Oh wait, we are not at CGtalk :) . Now you need one of those pixar eye shaders that place the highlight at the 'right' spot no matter what the position of the lights ;)

Can't wait to see the animations. If you had maya unlimited you could use fluid effects for the slime :eek:
Keep up the good work ! To infinity and beyond !

Doctor Q
Jul 21, 2004, 06:29 PM
If you had maya unlimited you could use fluid effects for the slimeAnd soon Maya Unlimited will run on Macs, so you can be happy (using a Mac) and amazing (using fluid effects) at the same time. All you need is cash!

agreenster
Jul 22, 2004, 09:19 AM
Nah, no Unlimited for me. I'm poor enough as it is now.

AND HE'S NOT SLIMER!

:)

ExoticFish
Jul 22, 2004, 11:23 AM
man that is so awesome! keep the pictures/videos coming!

jelloshotsrule
Jul 22, 2004, 11:56 AM
what did you use for the eyebrows?

looks awesome, per usual.

agreenster
Jul 22, 2004, 11:59 AM
Eyebrows=Maya paint effects

agreenster
Aug 18, 2004, 10:23 PM
Added a new image to the first post, just in case you wanted to see some updates

Doctor Q
Aug 18, 2004, 10:32 PM
Aw, the poor guy's got complexion problems now. And as far as my comments go, "thatzit!"

stevehaslip
Aug 19, 2004, 03:52 AM
its good to see an update but the lighting looks little harsh, no biggie though. Its still awesome!

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2004, 10:33 AM
Nice! But the lighting is a little intense - but that's fine if you were going for that. I love the bump texture on the skin.

One other thing, he's got his mouth open and you can see to the back of his throat on the new shot. Its all the same color - you have a accent light in there? Maybe shade it going down the back to make it look a little more realistic?

Can't wait to see him move :D

D

Doctor Q
Sep 17, 2004, 12:06 AM
I wonder if Mischief would like to meet The Freak (http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_item.asp?path=%2FAssets%2Fproduct%5Fimages%2F1020%2F&file=180486%2E1020%2EA%2Ejpg)?

He's from an animated short by Aristomenis Tsirbas, shown last night at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art as part of "Young Directors Night". When I saw The Freak's graceful good looks, I couldn't help thinking of handsome Mischief.