Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Does anyone know a site where I can get free piano (or any other type) of music for free. Not iliegally though.

Just something soft for me to use for a home movie in imovie of the first few months of my daughters life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone know a site where I can get free piano (or any other type) of music for free. Not iliegally though.

Just something soft for me to use for a home movie in imovie of the first few months of my daughters life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Do a Google on "creative commons"

This is the name of a license many people use when they wish to share their work for free with others. The Google search will list ways to search for the free music you want. Many musicians and composers of all genres publish their work under CC.

Another way is to get a MIDI file. This is good because you can edit it in Garage Band adding repeats and adjusting the tempo or even the key. You only have to know a little about music to do this and you can customize it to exactly fit the video.

At least one of the on-line sheet music sites I use provides midi and mp3 with every PDF sheet music download. It's not all free but they have enough free and if you really want a piece it's only a few dollars. This is all copyrighted but if you render the MIDI to audio you own the audio file and can do what you want with it.

This is the place I use:
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/

Yes I know some people will tell you to simply spend 99 cents on iTunes. But I understand your point. You want to be able to legally redistribute your work and can't if the soundtrack includes copyrighted song. You want "free" as in "free speech" not "free" as in "free beer".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.