Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
I've searched through the forums here and haven't exactly found the solution to my problem.

I downloaded the program "EasyWMA" which was mentioned in several posts, and it is working great - I'm just having one issue.

I have about 300 CDs that have been copied to my Windows computer as WMA files. When they were created it added all the information such as album, artist, etc. This was great when I had my Dell Jukebox (don't beat me up too bad, I just sold it!).

Now, when I convert the WMAs to MP3s all that converts over is the name of the song. I lose all the information like the artist, album, etc. So, I'm coming up with a couple thousand songs that can't be sorted except by song title.

Is there another program that can do this for me? I'm willing to pay a little for it so it doesn't have to be freeware.

My wife's new Ipod mini should be here in a couple weeks so I need to get this all converted by then. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Probably not the advice you wanted, but I would recommend re-ripping all the CD's the reason being that you are converting from one lossy format to another. Therefore you have compounded the amount of information (read: quality) lost in the song. If I were you, I would re-rip them all.

iTunes can grab all the information for you if you have a live internet connection. Then you just spend the time popping in new discs and you will have a much better quality collection for that new iPod.

PS you can set up iTunes to automatically get info, rip and eject the CD's to help speed up the process a little bit. Look in the Preferences, but I forget which tab.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Another vote for ripping all your CDs again. It's the right way to do it, and it will actually save you time over converting the files and entering all the information by hand.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
And if it is impossible to rerip?

I thought about reripping.
But what if it is impossible to rerip? :rolleyes:

I actually went through and sold most of my CDs because I never listened to them anymore. I only listened to music on either my portable or my computer.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Then strictly speaking, you sold your rights to use your ripped songs. I won't snitch on ya.

iTunes for Windows will convert WMA--maybe only to AAC, but that ought to work for you.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Horrortaxi said:
Then strictly speaking, you sold your rights to use your ripped songs. I won't snitch on ya.

iTunes for Windows will convert WMA--maybe only to AAC, but that ought to work for you.

I think the latest version on iTunes will convert any .wma song to aac, and all the tags should be kept intact, so you should simply have to select all your wma, and drag them into the iTunes window.

markintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Thanks guys!!!

I don't know why I hadn't tried it before.
iTunes for Windows is doing the job perfectly.

Guess my PC will be pretty busy today converting all of those files.
Good thing I bought a MAC to get some work done on!

Now if that iPod Mini would just ship :eek:

Once again, MacRumors comes through!! :p

bridalb

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
convert wma to .mov

This works for my itune and imovie needs:

Play your .wma file in Windows Media Player. Use Snapz Pro to record the movie session. Don't worry, you'll only save the audio. You will have to set the song to repeat in Windows Media Player, because you won'y be able to start Snapz Pro in time for the start of the song. Start the song near the end (repeat is on) and then start Snapz Pro. Save the file with audio only. Trim the extra audio off and voila!

Works great for use with iTunes and iMovie!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.