PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mini looks like Nokia phone?

sebisworld
Jul 20, 2004, 05:21 PM
As we all know, new iPod minis are to be released in August. They are going to have 8 GB storage space, a removable battery and they do not look out of proportion anymore. Right?
I fired up Cinema 4D and designed the new iPod mini. I got it down to really small, but it looks so very much like a Nokia phone - and those are freakin' ugly.

Well, why am I writing this? Yep, for no reason at all. I just had to post the picture I rendered to shorten those long days until the 8GB mini arrives at my doorstep. I really need it (My 2 Generation iPod broke and I am so disappointed with the the 3 and 4th Generation)

So what do you think about my Mini?

edesignuk
Jul 20, 2004, 05:23 PM
That screen shape makes no sense.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 05:47 PM
That screen shape makes no sense.

I agree. It would kill the battery life. But I'm not so sure as to the future of the iPod Mini. It uses a CF 4GB drive, and currently Lexar makes an 8GB card (http://www.smilephotovideo.com/details.cfm?store=digital&category=Digital%20Storage&itemno=LXCF8GB40X) (look at their *incredible* price!)... SimpleTech announced an 8GB card, but pricing is unknown (I believe).

So unless the iPod Mini jumps in price 10x... I'm not sure we'll see an enhanced iPod Mini.

iMax531
Jul 20, 2004, 07:27 PM
umm.... the mini uses a 4GB microdrive.... not compact flash. its a teeensy weensy hard drive. it's a good old fashioned spinning disk.

Mr. G4
Jul 20, 2004, 08:35 PM
umm.... the mini uses a 4GB microdrive.... not compact flash. its a teeensy weensy hard drive. it's a good old fashioned spinning disk.

It's all the same.
Solid state Compact Flash is Compact Flash Type I.
Microdive is Compact Flash Type II.

Abstract
Jul 21, 2004, 12:47 AM
That screen gave me a good laugh. :p

And isn't a Compact Flash card a bit different than a hard drive? If it used a CF card, can't it be said that even my Canon digital camera uses a small HDD? That doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, we're not going to see a higher capacity MINI until January during MW SanFran, I think.

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 01:33 AM
It's all the same.
Solid state Compact Flash is Compact Flash Type I.
Microdive is Compact Flash Type II.
Uh no.

CF Card is solid state meaning no moving parts. These cards can handle much higher G Forces.

The Microdrive is just that, a small HD. It moves so it is vulnerable to high G Forces.

For those who need a music player that works in a harsh environment, a CF card would be better.

Sushi

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 01:34 AM
As we all know, new iPod minis are to be released in August. They are going to have 8 GB storage space, a removable battery and they do not look out of proportion anymore. Right?
I fired up Cinema 4D and designed the new iPod mini. I got it down to really small, but it looks so very much like a Nokia phone - and those are freakin' ugly.

Well, why am I writing this? Yep, for no reason at all. I just had to post the picture I rendered to shorten those long days until the 8GB mini arrives at my doorstep. I really need it (My 2 Generation iPod broke and I am so disappointed with the the 3 and 4th Generation)

So what do you think about my Mini?
No go on the screen for sure (for many reasons).

Sushi

Mr. G4
Jul 21, 2004, 01:59 AM
Uh no.

CF Card is solid state meaning no moving parts. These cards can handle much higher G Forces.

The Microdrive is just that, a small HD. It moves so it is vulnerable to high G Forces.

For those who need a music player that works in a harsh environment, a CF card would be better.

Sushi

They are all call compact flash...that's my point.
The solid state...I think under 1GB...are compact flash type I.
The microdrive 1GB and up are compact flash type II. They are use in most pro or prosumer digital camera such the Canon Rebel Digital or 1D or Nikon D70.

ibookin'
Jul 21, 2004, 02:18 AM
The microdrive 1GB and up are compact flash type II. They are use in most pro or prosumer digital camera such the Canon Rebel Digital or 1D or Nikon D70.

Type II refers to the card being extra-thick so it can fit an extra row of flash chips or a microdrive, not whether it is a microdrive or not. There are solid state Type II cards.

Krizoitz
Jul 21, 2004, 02:38 AM

This is completely incorrect. As the poster below states Compact Flash Type I and II have to do with the connectors. What you are thinking of are Microdrives that use the Compact Flash interface. This allows them to fit in CompactFlash compatible slots, but as they are not solid state can hold more memory.

Kingsnapped
Jul 21, 2004, 03:07 AM
That screen is pretty sweet, but I can't justify a use for it...

cell-phone style battery meter?

stevehaslip
Jul 21, 2004, 03:37 AM
erm the bottom corners of the screen are unusable the way you've made it. they simply wouldn't use valuable power to light part of the screen that wouldnt be used.
that and where'd you get this info about new ipod minis?

apple are still finding it hard to supply demand and they have said that this will continue right up until the end of the year.

sebisworld
Jul 21, 2004, 07:37 AM
where'd you get this info about new ipod minis?

I basically just need it to happen.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 21, 2004, 08:37 AM
I agree. It would kill the battery life. But I'm not so sure as to the future of the iPod Mini. It uses a CF 4GB drive, and currently Lexar makes an 8GB card (http://www.smilephotovideo.com/details.cfm?store=digital&category=Digital%20Storage&itemno=LXCF8GB40X) (look at their *incredible* price!)... SimpleTech announced an 8GB card, but pricing is unknown (I believe).

So unless the iPod Mini jumps in price 10x... I'm not sure we'll see an enhanced iPod Mini.

Well, I didn't mean to start any controversy over my reference to "CF". I was referring to the form factor/interface, not the actual mechanism of storage (be it solid-state, or microdrive).

I was actually thinking people would notice the fact that 8GB CF cards are rediculously expensive... thus eliminating that as a storage option anytime soon (until the prices come down).

iMook
Jul 21, 2004, 08:40 AM
CompactFlash refers only to the connector configuration.

What is in the iPod mini is a 4GB Hitachi 1" hard drive mounted inside a CompactFlash Type II card, plugged into a CompactFlash interface.

The name CompactFlash was created before people envisioned the 1" hard drive, and thus was intended just to house solid-state memory. But, hard drive CompactFlash cards entered the market courtesy of IBM, who coined the term "Microdrive."

Pretec currently manufactures a 12GB solid-state CompactFlash card, primarily used for military applications, compared to the largest-capacity HDD CF card at 8 GB. Thus, to emphasize the truth:

CompactFlash refers only to the connector layout, not any of the innards.

themadchemist
Jul 22, 2004, 09:59 AM
I basically just need it to happen.

I sense desperation... :D