PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive transfer from MacPro to G5

dhobbs198
Oct 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Guys,

A little help if anyone can!?
I recently had to upgrade the graphics card in my Mac Pro, however it won't boot up because the OS isn't update which is what is required. I have a G5 which I have put the MacPro hard drive into so that I could boot it up, update the software and put it back in the MacPro. The G5 recognises the hard drive when it is acting as a 2nd Hard drive to the G5's original but it doesn't show it as a startup option. I have tried having just the MacPro drive in the G5 without the original hardrive but then it doesn't boot at all. Both are running 10.5 and I can't understand it won't find it.
I have tried it the other way around, the G5 hard drive in the MacPro and it works fine and when I put the MacPro hard drive in as second Hard Drive it shows up as an option for startup but doesn't work as it isn't uptodate.

ANY help would be appreciated !!!

Shazaam!
Oct 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
The Mac Pro requires a GUID partitioned hard drive, the PowerMac requires an Apple Partitioned Hard Drive to boot. This is done using Disk Utilities, select one or mor partitions and go to Options.

yg17
Oct 21, 2009, 12:56 PM
What version of OSX is installed on the drive? If it's Snow Leopard, it won't work as SL doesn't run on PPC Macs.

gugucom
Oct 21, 2009, 01:37 PM
I think Shazaam has hit the nail on the head. If you want a MP Leopard HDD to run in a PPC you need to clone the content on a HDD which is partitioned with APT option. That can be done in the Mac using disk utility.