PDA

View Full Version : New Law School Student

camobag
Jul 20, 2004, 06:38 PM
Hey all, I just got accepted into Western State University School of Law in Fullerton, California. I would love some advice for a newbie law school student and/or hear from someone who has actually went there! Thanks all.

wdlove
Jul 20, 2004, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on your acceptance to law school camobag. I have no personal knowledge. My thought is the since you were accepted, they will try to keep you. Just like anything else just study hard.

krimson
Jul 21, 2004, 08:34 AM
i personally didn't go there, but I know someone who did... so ill just say..

kiss your social life bye bye :)

and Congratz, and good luck!

camobag
Jul 22, 2004, 05:33 AM
Ha! I hear law school is pretty time-consuming but I am totally stoked about it.

jefhatfield
Jul 22, 2004, 12:11 PM
congrats :)

Foxer
Jul 22, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hey there. I went to law school a few years back. Best time of my life, aside from undergrad. Lots of work, certainly during your first year as you try to figure out how the whole "law thing" works. After that, it was cake. The only time in my life I hyad more freetime than in my second year was my third year. You'll certainly be busy during exams, of course, but otherwise it's just reading. Take the classes that interest you. Get on a journal and moot court. Have fun.

FriarTuck
Jul 22, 2004, 02:17 PM
You have been duped.

You do not want to be a lawyer.

You will come out of law school with so much debt that, despite their claims "you can do anything with a law degree," you will pretty much be forced to be a lawyer.

Please. For all that is good and right in this world... not another lawyer.

Respectfully Submitted,

FriarTuck, J.D.
Northwestern University School of Law '92

MongoTheGeek
Jul 22, 2004, 02:37 PM

If he wants to be a lawyer let him. He might do something good and useful. What I have no idea, but he might... :)

Foxer
Jul 22, 2004, 06:31 PM
You have been duped.

You do not want to be a lawyer.

You will come out of law school with so much debt that, despite their claims "you can do anything with a law degree," you will pretty much be forced to be a lawyer.

Respectfully Submitted,

FriarTuck, J.D.
Northwestern University School of Law '92

As another debt ridden JD, this is true. I also make a salary that makes that debt insignificant. Am I "forced" to be a lawyer - sure. But then I did go to law school. Ten years after law school, it will be paid off and I'll be "free." Aside from that, we have no idea what the tuition at his school will be, or whether he is getting some sort of subsidy. He may not come out saddled by debt.

All that said, you better be SURE that you want to be a lawyer. It is nothing like I thought it would be. The hours can be death (more so at some firms than others) and too many other lawyers are jerks. And the process of billing hours is about as unpleasant as anything. Talk to people who pratice the type of law you are interested in, and make sure you are actually interested in it. That be said, jump in...

Foxer, J.D.
Duke Universtiy School of Law '00

virividox
Jul 22, 2004, 06:49 PM
get ready to read a lot!!! and put in work everyday!!! u cant wing it by cramming, if you want to do well, you can survive by winging it but you wont excel

StrongGlad
Jul 22, 2004, 10:21 PM
It is nothing like I thought it would be. The hours can be death (more so at some firms than others) and too many other lawyers are jerks. And the process of billing hours is about as unpleasant as anything. Talk to people who pratice the type of law you are interested in, and make sure you are actually interested in it. That be said, jump in...

I was with you right up until that final sentence...

As a first-year associate, I find myself longing for last summer, when "all" I had to do was study for the bar. This past year has been the most difficult of my life, and by all accounts, it gets no easier. I have serious doubts as to whether I'll be doing this sort of work even five years from now.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to discourage you from attending law school, but think long and hard before blindly following the crowd into a "big firm" job during recruiting season. There are plenty of rewarding alternatives, many of which can bring you partial (or even total) loan forgiveness.

StrongGlad, Esq.
HLS, 2003

camobag
Jul 23, 2004, 03:43 AM
Thanks for all of the insightful posts! To relieve a few of you, I do have a nice financial package that will help procure my financial woes. Phew! To answer others, I am very interested in the law (hence, law school); however, I am curious about one thing. Perhaps some of you veterans can help out: How do I decide about the type of law that I wish to pursue? Should I try to aim all of my classes at some particular type (i.e. intellectual properties) or dabble in many different types to figure out which one I would truly enjoy. I'm not sure if I'm being hopeful or ignorant, but I would love to study an area that I am truly interested in rather than others. Thanks again.