Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruffNstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
USA
I just got a new 2TB hard drive for use with Time Machine, and boot camp, to replace my old 400gig portable one. How do I move my old backups over? Whenever I try I get the message

The item “____________ _________’s MacBook Pro” can’t be moved because “Backups.backupdb” can’t be modified.

Any Ideas? :apple::apple::apple::apple:

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
I just got a new 2TB hard drive for use with Time Machine, and boot camp, to replace my old 400gig portable one. How do I move my old backups over? Whenever I try I get the message

The item “____________ _________’s MacBook Pro” can’t be moved because “Backups.backupdb” can’t be modified.

Any Ideas? :apple::apple::apple::apple:

As far as the TM backup goes you should be able to clone the old drive to a partition on the new one with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

ruffNstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
USA
Sorry

After combing through our forms as well as apple support I gave up and created this thread.....

After looking around on my mac I found Migration Assistant.... its in the utilities folder (lots of cool stuff there) it moves the backup but i cant make it send the backup to my new drive

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
mister redman is right

You will want to get super duper or a cloning program that can re-create the existing partition on the new drive. I have done this and it took 24 hours for 800 gigabytes of material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.