PDA

View Full Version : Bad things you've done to your Apple product

appleguy
Jul 20, 2004, 11:08 PM
As I said in a previous post.
I droped my ipod, it skidded across the road and got run-over by a bus, but it still works. (was in a Contour Show case).
Plus I have serveral more stories from my customers as well, but will post at later dates

raynegus
Jul 20, 2004, 11:42 PM
I gave a 40 GB iPod to my wife. Need I say more?

It takes a daily beating (like everything she owns) but keeps on going. Well, the back is dented and there are make-up smears around all the buttons. She honestly "doesn't know how that happened."

I've been putting off buying her a powerbook. A dent in an iPod I can handle, but a powerbook...

Still, I find something cute about how she can smash things and not know how it happened. I could never be that carefree.

appleguy
Jul 20, 2004, 11:50 PM
I gave a 40 GB iPod to my wife. Need I say more?

It takes a daily beating (like everything she owns) but keeps on going. Well, the back is dented and there are make-up smears around all the buttons. She honestly "doesn't know how that happened."

I've been putting off buying her a powerbook. A dent in an iPod I can handle, but a powerbook...

Still, I find something cute about how she can smash things and not know how it happened. I could never be that carefree.

Ahhh I love it, Wife's who will have them

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 12:00 AM
Damaged (dropped) an old Apple 13 inch monitor.

At the time, I had a SETI Farm with 5 7600 style desktop Macs. The monitor was on top of the stack and shared by the 5 computers.

Well one night I was working on some shelves nearby, and one fell down, hit the monitor, and because it has no rubber feet slid off the stack and did a face plant on the floor. Broke the bottom covers off (speakers, adjustment buttons). But it still works fine. Awesome.

Apple sure knows how to build things!

Sushi

Abstract
Jul 21, 2004, 12:43 AM
One time I closed the lid on my rev B 12" Powerbook and then hit the top of the lid with an open palm because it was acting all Windows-ish. Of course there was no damage since I didn't really slap it hard, and I started kissing the lid once I did it, but oh man...... *enrols in anger management class* :p

I forgot what my PB did or didn't do to cause this reaction, but it did something funky, I'll tell you that. Don't worry, we made up and all is golden. :)

blackfox
Jul 21, 2004, 12:44 AM
Pretty run-of-the-mill occurances...

last one was during a late-night design session, when I accidentally kicked out my (mostly-broken) leg of my computer desk, causing everything (PB, external HDs etc) to slide off to the left to a date with the carpet...also my coffee and ashtray went all over my PB and Contour Shuttle pro...a little cleaning (ok a lot) and much swearing and I was back in business, although my apple key still sticks occasionally. Other than that no permanent damage. Needless to say, I bought a new desk.

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 01:09 AM
One time I closed the lid on my rev B 12" Powerbook and then hit the top of the lid with an open palm because it was acting all Windows-ish. Of course there was no damage since I didn't really slap it hard, and I started kissing the lid once I did it, but oh man...... *enrols in anger management class* :p

I forgot what my PB did or didn't do to cause this reaction, but it did something funky, I'll tell you that. Don't worry, we made up and all is golden. :)
On Macs have personalities. :D

PCs are just hunks of metal and electronics! Although, the homebuilt market is trying to change that.

Sushi

krimson
Jul 21, 2004, 08:31 AM
my 1 yr old nephew jumped on top of my Pismo (closed).. I didn't do it, but that's the worst that's ever happened to any of my macs.

saabmp3
Jul 21, 2004, 09:31 AM
Some beer got poured into the key board of my old PB 667 (I didn't do it). I was pretty... out of it... at the time so I took the battery out and dealt with it in the morning. Turned it on (before I remembered what happened to it) and everything worked like a charm.
BEN

Timelessblur
Jul 21, 2004, 09:44 AM
Closes I done is destory old HS macs. The lastest one my friend and I took a screw driver and took all of the pieces out of it 1 at a time taking great pleasure in sending the mac to the trash where it belonged. Now my keychain is the ram chip that was in there. I still have I think it other ram chip and networking card in my car.

This mac was one of there macs that like 7-8 years old and not worth powering up. I fogot what we did with the hard drive. Ah lots of fun. Now i need to check wiht a friends brother and see if he took apart there old broken imac :)

Trekkie
Jul 21, 2004, 09:58 AM
I was trying to straighten a power cord on the couch and yanked my 12" AL powerbook onto the floor. It was on & running, only dented the base corner on which it landed first.

Raid
Jul 21, 2004, 10:39 AM
Well lets see... I've spilled lemonade on the keyboard of my Performa. That wasn't such a big deal I turned it upside down immediately and the inner surface that the keys connected to was rubberized. It was a pain to clean to remove all the stickiness, but after it was done it worked fine.

I've aslo dropped my Ti book on my toe from desk height. Luckily (although it didn't feel that way at the time) my toe took the brunt of the impact. :eek: It started up fine and even though I think the hinge hit my toe, the lid opens and closes fine too.

But the most drastic "damage" I've done to my computer was intentional. About 3 years ago I had a DVD-ram drive given to me, but didn't want to get rid of the burner in my fairly new G4 (Sawtooth? ...466mhz), and didn't have the cash for an external case cause I was saving for a car. So I got the bright idea to do a little 'case-modding' and cut out the lower bay (designed for zip drives) and hooked up the DVD-ram drive underneath my burner. I'd much rather have a second flip-down cover for the drive, but it looks ok and works so I'm happy. But cutting into the case and making sure no metal filings got near the main board was nerve wracking!

Counterfit
Jul 21, 2004, 10:41 AM
I usually keep my iPod in the black cloth pouch that holds the belt clip. One day, it was sitting on top of my jacket on the kitchen table, with my iTrip attached, when my mother comes over and grabs my jacket. The iPod goes flying as I watch (in slow-motion;)) from the couch. It lands face first :(

"ARGH"
"What was that?!"
"MY IPOD!"
"I didn't see it!"

:rolleyes:

MoparShaha
Jul 21, 2004, 10:51 AM
I once let a Windows user use my Mac :D.

Seriously though, the worst thing I've done to my Mac was beating it up. My old Performa gave me the worst time. It always froze, the damn thing drove me insane. So one night I had typed up a five or six page report, and in my juvenile bliss, had not saved. Of course, the computer froze. I lost it big time. I lifted the monitor up and slammed it down onto the machine several times, punched it, and hit it with the mouse. It was quite an assault. Sadly, the machine was fine. It was my first Mac, and I loved it, but I'm so glad it's gone. Worst computer ever.

ecche
Jul 21, 2004, 10:52 AM
I forgot that I had put my double USB iBook in my travel bag when I checked into a flight with Lufthansa. They asked me to check it in with my other luggage as it was too heavy to be taken into the cabin. When I got it back it had a couple of bad scratches across the lid, the combo drive had come open, although it was packed into lots of clothing. Naturally, Lufthansa would not take the blame for this. So I guess it was my fault... Still it will be a long time until I choose Lufthansa again.

stevehaslip
Jul 21, 2004, 02:00 PM
my cat likes to rub her nose/mouth on the vertical edges of my g5!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

everytime she does it i get a damp tissue and wipe it off! it makes me mad!!!! i hate to think what happens when i go out but you can see drip marks sometimes!!!!

(my cat drips, purrs and dribbles and drips go everywhere.:p i've never met another dripping cat! shes special! BUT NAUGHTY!!!:mad: )

krimson
Jul 21, 2004, 02:40 PM
my cat likes to rub her nose/mouth on the vertical edges of my g5!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

double-sided tape should cure your cat of that. :)

stevehaslip
Jul 21, 2004, 04:09 PM
double-sided tape should cure your cat of that. :)
are you suggesting that i put double sided tape on my beloved g5?!!! :eek: or on my cat!??! :eek: lol

appleguy
Jul 21, 2004, 04:10 PM
I was on Holiday in Hawaii. Flying from Honolulu to Maui, I took my old Claim Shaped iBook (orginal model) with me to email home. During the flight my bottle of coke burst inside my bag and leaked coke into the ibook.
No real damage just the halo light stays green and there are orange splohes around the halo...

So I guess Apple makes decent computers then aye

Stay tuned for more horror stories..

krimson
Jul 21, 2004, 04:24 PM
are you suggesting that i put double sided tape on my beloved g5?!!! :eek: or on my cat!??! :eek: lol

on the cat of course.. LOL
no seriously, 2x-sided tape works wonders keeping cats away from things.

tape for a few weeks (til it learns), or drool (possibly leaking inside).. it's up to you. :)

question fear
Jul 21, 2004, 04:43 PM
tripped over some cords and broke my open combo drive tray :(
but no other damage, thank goodness.

supergod
Jul 21, 2004, 06:42 PM
I dropped my G5 onto a wooden floor. Oddly enough the floor was not dented but the G5 very dramitically tipped over onto it's side. The side door thing fell off and I thought it was broken until I realized that it was supposed to do it. These things are SOLID! No damage whatsoever to the computer! I love my solid aluminum baby!

wdlove
Jul 21, 2004, 07:59 PM
I'm very careful with my Mac's. No real damage other than dirt. Wish that they had the iSkin when I had to replace my keyboard. We are very lucky that Apple makes substantial long lasting products.

gwuMACaddict
Jul 21, 2004, 08:29 PM
droped a pismo down a flight of carpeted stairs. *thump thump thump* the whole way down... bounced alot better than i thought it would... only thing damaged was the cd drive. *phew*

what else...

the handle of my imac (G3-500) came loose one time when i was carrying it and the computer dropped about 3 feet to the concrete. just had to plug the airport card back in... and fix the handle. its def scuffed up a little.

AppleMatt
Jul 21, 2004, 09:20 PM
I smashed up a Apple Design II keyboard once when I was mad, I'd had a bad day and then the computer started playing up. I picked it up and kept slamming it up and down on the desk, then the computer said something else which I didn't particularly like so I took one end and hit the wall with it, at which point keys went flying absolutely everywhere. I think it learnt it's lesson.

Bloody shame too, those keyboards were fantastic (best Apple built IMO) and it cost a fortune to replace (ok about 40, but it was an unnecessary expense).

I've since calmed down, laptops are much more fragile.

AppleMatt

edit: I took a hard-drive out of a Performa once and never got round to putting it back, it stayed out gathering dust (literally, the thing was covered) for about 4 years. When I finally reinstalled it all I got was a sad mac icon :(

edit 2: I put my iPod in my jogging bottoms and then ran up the stairs, when I got to the top it wasn't in my jogging bottoms. Only a minor dent though, you can hardly see it :)

Apple Hobo
Jul 21, 2004, 10:43 PM
I used to smack my Performa 6300CD pretty hard when it pissed me off; I used to like Winblows more because of all of the games available. After I became enlightened in the holy order of the Mac, I loved that old Performa. Now my whole family likes Macs. :D

My sister accidently tipped over a flower vase of water onto her Bondi iMac keyboard. It got fried.

I had a high school friend in my QBASIC programming class who used to literally kick the ***** out of the old, beige piece-o-crap Winblows PeeCees. He would hit it, kick it, and stuff crap into the CD-ROM drive. One time he almost sent the monitor toppling to the floor. These things were always crashing and getting hosed with viruses. Needless to say, the school's IT tech/Web design teacher was always pissed at the problems. I never heard any problems coming from the multimedia design/Mac lab. :p

And I can't help laughing when I hear stories of people dropping iMacs down a staircase. They tumble down like a boulder. :D :D :D

Check out this funny video. (http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/mov/pc_user.html) And rage against the PC. (http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/mov/RageAgainstThePC.html)

comictimes
Jul 21, 2004, 11:21 PM
i was sitting working on my powerbook once when my friend walked by and accidetally dropped his backpack (which had a couple of textbooks as well as a binder or two in it) straight onto the top of my screen. needless to say, I wasn't happy. Luckily all it did was to push the screen down a bit, At first this made it so the screen wouldn't close, but with a bit of gentle pushing, I've gotten it to the point where there is just a bit of spring when you open the powerbook. Also I apparently dropped my backpack or something while my ipod was in it, so the ipod now has a dent in the back, which causes a big black blotch in the middle of the screen. But a new ipod will be arriving in the mail tomorrow! woohoo!

virividox
Jul 21, 2004, 11:34 PM
a friend of mine dropped my newton :( but now no one but me touchest my pretty mac

Counterfit
Jul 22, 2004, 12:25 AM
so the ipod now has a dent in the back, which causes a big black blotch in the middle of the screen. Does it even work now? That sounds like some part of the board inside probably got broken too.

comictimes
Jul 22, 2004, 12:55 AM
Does it even work now? That sounds like some part of the board inside probably got broken too.

Yeah, it works, there's just a big black spot in the screen. I mean, there are other problems as well, but they all came significantly after the dent.

appleguy
Jul 22, 2004, 04:20 AM
wow I am impressed this is my first thread that has gotten over 3 replies. keep them coming.

California
Aug 22, 2004, 02:08 AM
I survived the 1994 earthquake in LA in the middle of the third hardest hit areas. We had the National Guard on our guarding our street for weeks after. When it hit, the first thing I heard was books tumbling off bookshelves in my bedroom and then, my mac Classic was thrown six feet off my desk and landed with an unmistakable CLUNK somewhere in the darkness.

I thought for sure it would never work again, but voila, it powered up like nothing was wrong and suffered only a small scratch on one corner.

More recently, I was too timid to load more ram into my Tibook and called Apple (still under warranty) to help me through the process.

Wouldn't you know, with the guy on the phone, I broke the bottom plastic memory holder.

And, God Bless them, Apple replaced my entire logic board.

mj_1903
Aug 22, 2004, 08:06 AM
The worst thing I have done to an Apple product...

I discovered one day that 3G iPod's bounce from 5 feet when hitting concrete. Minor dent, still works fine.

I also sent my MDD PowerMac to America with me in the cargo hold of United Airlines. Suprisingly the machine is fine.

A Windows user is currently using my PowerBook but she seems to have seen the light.

Otherwise, nothing really of concern. :)

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 22, 2004, 12:01 PM
I installed windows xp on my mac with virtual pc. :eek: I uninstalled it within 15 min because it was as slow a molasses in the freezer.

stevehaslip
Aug 22, 2004, 02:45 PM
I posted on this already and its kinda an old thread... BUT...... My friend lets her dog lick the front grating of her G5, stupid as it may sound. And she puts coins in the same little bag as her iPod! :eek:

leftbanke7
Aug 22, 2004, 03:44 PM
In High School, I decided I would take my PB 190 to class and be Mr Pimp Daddy I Have A Laptop. I made it through the day fine. Final class, I am getting ready to leave when the strap to my backpack comes unraveled and falls to the floor...PB included. It was never the same (busted hinges, screen plastics seperated, various parts broken off) and eventually died a very painful death (pin for power adapter broke off of MB). But a couple months ago I tore it apart and fixed it just to see if I could. She runs great now but I can't seem to get the trackpad to work so it's just sitting in a box under my bed.

oldschool
Aug 23, 2004, 12:38 AM
i once lent my iBook to Billy Joel. Needless to say it didn't make it out of the wreckage.

Chappers
Aug 23, 2004, 03:40 AM
sob sob sob

Forgive me but I once sold one of my iMacs and brought a PC for my brother-in-law.

Sob sob sob

I know he needed it for autocad but I think I'll be on valium for another year at least

Sob

5300cs
Aug 23, 2004, 04:38 AM
I've actually been able to control my anger around my Macs, I just usually resort to verbal abuse (my wife yells at me from another room, asking what the hell is going on.) I think it's because I know how much I've spent on these suckers, and don't want to have to pay for repairs.

I dropped my old iBook a few times, as well as my new one, and my TiBook (that fell in slow motion .. I swear it took 10 minutes to hit the ground.) The day I got my G5 I was putting it next to my G4 and banged it down on it by accident, putting the only scratch on my G4 tower :mad:

peecees I'll bang and kick around no problem, but not a Mac.

MacNeXT
Aug 23, 2004, 06:48 PM
The previous owner of my Powerbook wallstreet tripped over the powercord, wrecking the adapter input connector. He told me before I bought it so it was ok.

However, when I opened it up, i saw he also tried to repair it. He did a VERY lousy soldering job. A smd (what I suspect to be) zener diode was destroyed in the process, causing a short circuit, no wonder he sold it. I managed to repair it. It runs fine without the diode.

I treat my apples with care. I never beat them up. I release my anger on anyting that runs windows, but not a mac.

PC's at my school are regularly victimized by adolescents who have a hard time dealing with their male hormones. About half of the systems have assaulted keyboards, mice and fdd bezels.

musicpyrite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:32 PM
Took a hammer to a SE/30.

Actually, I was just going to try and take it apart, but there are 4 proprietary screws on the back, which require you to have 10" long screw driver.

I needed the SIMM RAM chips, the hard drive, and speaker. But unfortunately, there was no other way to get to it.

MattG
Aug 24, 2004, 11:15 AM
I dropped my 14" iBook from about waist-level onto the blacktop driveway. Luckily it was in a case and nothing bad happened to it.

Powerbook G5
Aug 24, 2004, 12:22 PM
My Lombard series PowerBook G3 went through quite a bit. About a week after getting it I was making my bed (it was on the coffee table next to my bed) and I bumped my glass of water all over it while it was running. It shut off immediately and I nearly had a heart attack, but I unplugged it and removed the battery and dripped as much water off as I could and let it dry for the rest of the day. The next day it worked perfectly, thank God. About five months later we got hit by a bad hurricane which took part of our roof off the house and my PowerBook got subjected to some pretty harsh wind and rain, but later that night I checked it out and still it worked perfectly. As a matter of fact, it still works perfectly to this day and I am selling it to a friend who will never know what it's been through.

hotwire132002
Aug 24, 2004, 12:30 PM
Worst thing I've done to an Apple product? Probably a couple weeks ago, when I was a the Apple Store. I was on one of the G5s and my old Clamshell iBook fell off the counter. I picked it up, opened it, and it turned on just fine. When the Apple Store employee next to me asked if it was OK, I said "That's why I use a Mac."

pyrotoaster
Aug 24, 2004, 02:00 PM
Well most recently, I sent took a turn too quickly and sent my iPod flying across the car (the iTrip took a worse beating than the iPod ;)).
I've done much worse, though.

A few months back, I dropped my Powerbook on the kitchen floor. It fell right on one of the corners and now has a dent in its lower-left-hand corner. I also smacked that corner against a kitchen counter several times in order to "un-dent" it a bit.

My first iPod (an original 5 gig model) took all sorts of punishment and eventually suffered a fatal crash after 11 months (I took it to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store and walked out a with a new one an hour later).

My old Performa 6115CD takes a beating simply by continuing to exist. There're so many things wrong with that machine that I can't even being to list the problems here.

But, it's my Mac Classic II that takes the gold medal for cruel and unusual punishment. I once (keep in mind, I was four or five at the time) jammed two floppies into its floppy drive, because I wanted to see what happened if you put two disks in at once. Somehow, my dad pried the second floppy out (it was his computer at the time) and that Mac Classic II still works just fine today (floppy drive included).

Doctor Q
Aug 24, 2004, 06:52 PM
I admit I scowled at my G5 yesterday. It was getting kernel panics which I assumed were due either to Apple hardware or Apple software. It seemed logical at the time.

Today I diagnosed the problem: bad third-party add-on RAM. Apple was innocent and I have apologized to my G5 and offered to take it to dinner and a movie to make up for my uncalled-for behavior.

aksmax
Aug 24, 2004, 08:30 PM
Most frustrating was at Westchester Apple Store. "Genius" flipped over my new 15" TiBook and spun it around to check something. Sure enough, it was completely covered in spiral scratches from sand on the counter. GRRRR!!! They did replace it after a talk with the manager. :)

Worst was same machine a couple months ago. Left it open, on the deck, just for a few minutes.....passing shower doused it. Soaked! Found it clicking and smelling really strange. Opened it to dry it out. Didn't wait long enough...turned it on. There was a huge pop and more nasty smells, and the screen went black. Let it dry overnight the second time. No damage whatsoever. Practically idiot-proof... :rolleyes:

snooziums
Aug 24, 2004, 08:34 PM
I also sent my MDD PowerMac to America with me in the cargo hold of United Airlines. Suprisingly the machine is fine.

I just received my MDD, and it appears to be really solid. So I am not surprised that yours survived. So far, I think that the MDD is a great machine.

The worst thing I did was I went to replace the fan for my G4 processor on my other computer. However I forgot to hook up the fan afterwards, so the fan never came on.

I wondered why that machine crashed so often for a short while until I figured out what happened.

EJBasile
Aug 24, 2004, 08:49 PM
The worst things I ever done to an apple...
1) Before OS X, I would call them stupid and pointless (I have learned)
2) Drop my newton- just the batteries fell out- not even a scuff

The worst things I have ever done to a PC...
1) Before OS X think PCs were better
2) Used a PC
3) I was using my last computer, PC, Compaq Desktop, I was doing a long pointless and confusing report and the computer was getting all testy and annoying and freezing up and then unfreezing so I opened the CD Drive put my middle and pointer fingers in the hole in the middle (grabbing it) and just ripped the CD tray out. Yes it was uncalled for but it really gets out a lot of stress, but then again you have to get a new drive and get it installed.

homerjward
Aug 24, 2004, 09:46 PM
forgive me father for i have sinned. i accidentally dropped my ipod out a car window onto the asphalt *not a scratch*. the thing ive done that's caused the most damage was left it in a lajo exo3. has tons of scratches now. oh yeah, and let my friends use it. they have *no* respect for my ipod :( :( i feel so sorry for it sometimes [wipes away tear]. they put it in their backpocket and sit down, then un- and re-plug the headphones constantly, they run down the battery completely in 45 minutes, they eat candy while using the buttons, they...they...i dont wanna think about it. ive started just leaving it in my pocket and telling them it's a radio when they ask what im listening to.
i repeatedly punch my laptop's lcd screen so it goes all the way back, bang on the wristrests when it's slow/freezy, once dropped my kensington pocketmouse off a third story landing, and roll my wowpad into a cigar shape constantly and look through it a la telescope. but theyre just pc stuff. they dont count

XnavxeMiyyep
Aug 24, 2004, 10:29 PM
The worst thing I've ever done to my Mac hardware-wise was spilling water on the keyboard, but I just shook it out, and put it next to a fan for the night, and it was fine.

The worst thing I've ever done to my Mac software-wise was using a theming program for 10.2 on 10.3, and ignoring the alert that OS X gave me that it could be severaly damaging. Finder stopped working for 4 or 5 days until I downloaded some software to fix it. Luckily, that forced me to quickly learn how to operate in the Unix Terminal, which I had wanted to learn for awhile.

sonyrules
Aug 25, 2004, 06:30 AM
the kids shoving chicken strips in my ZIP drive... That sucked. that and the typical BPJ in the optical drive they try to force shut from time to time...

Other than that, Life is great :rolleyes: