PDA

View Full Version : Inside Look at Birth of the IPod

MacBytes
Jul 21, 2004, 08:52 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Inside Look at Birth of the IPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040721095221)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iMeowbot
Jul 21, 2004, 10:12 AM
and shortly after, Apple bought a majority stake in the company.
This means that HD players from Philips, Rio, Samsung and Thomson/RCA aren't really iPod competitors :eek:

dogcowx
Jul 21, 2004, 12:23 PM
Is anyone bothered with one quote that in 10 years Apple will be a music company, not a computer company?

It all reminds me of the Apple II and Mac days. The Mac became its own division and eventually the Apple II division was killed off.

Tell me I'm imagining things here...

Personally, if Apple wants to become a "Sony" that's fine with me. Sony still makes VAIO laptops along with their other offerings. I just hate to see too much engineering and design talent go away from the Mac projects and I'm also a little worried that in order for Apple to "push" all of its "other" products, it may feel compelled to embrace the PC more and the Mac less.

MOOF!

millhouse_man
Jul 21, 2004, 01:11 PM
Did anyone else find it very sad that Knauss ditched Apple right before the release of the iPod and is now contracting with Microsoft? That's just very, very sad.

Bendit
Jul 21, 2004, 01:41 PM
Is anyone bothered with one quote that in 10 years Apple will be a music company, not a computer company?

It all reminds me of the Apple II and Mac days. The Mac became its own division and eventually the Apple II division was killed off.

Tell me I'm imagining things here...

Personally, if Apple wants to become a "Sony" that's fine with me. Sony still makes VAIO laptops along with their other offerings. I just hate to see too much engineering and design talent go away from the Mac projects and I'm also a little worried that in order for Apple to "push" all of its "other" products, it may feel compelled to embrace the PC more and the Mac less.

MOOF!

As long as Steve Jobs is in charge of Apple, they will always make computers. It's steve's passion to have these digital hubs that anyone can use to increase quality of life. Perhaps the two divisions could maybe split into different companies, but the macintosh will not die.

nagromme
Jul 22, 2004, 02:19 AM
A lot of people think Apple shouldn't have successful products other than Macs. I'm not sure why, but somehow that's a widespread (or at least vocal) position.

Macs are successful too--increasingly so. Apple can make iPods without detracting from Macs. iPods help sell Macs, in fact.

There's nothing about succeeding in digital music that hurts the Mac platform. It's nothing like Apple II and Mac: a new computer replacing an old computer makes sense. A music player replacing a computer does not.

BTW, I notice that 4 of Amazon's 10 top-selling items in Electronics are Apple products: three iPods and AirPort Express. And ALL of the iPods--even the gold Mini and the 40 GB--are in the top 60 sellers. No other music players are even in the top 80. (Cameras, USB thumb drives, iPods, and wireless gear seem to be the main sellers.) Amazon doesn't show the 4G iPods yet.

iMeowbot
Jul 22, 2004, 02:54 AM
Nope. That was a paraphrase from Tony Fadell, who brought the iTMS/iPod concept to Apple. Of course he was stoked about it.

In real life, Apple expanded their computer product range into things like xServe and 64-bit systems after iPod was introduced. That's not an exit strategy :D

shamino
Jul 22, 2004, 12:01 PM
Personally, if Apple wants to become a "Sony" that's fine with me. Sony still makes VAIO laptops along with their other offerings.
Which shows how well Sony managed to remake itself. They were making radios and TVs for a long time before they released their first PC. Today, people think of them primarily as a PC maker and music label almost to the exclusion of everything else.
I just hate to see too much engineering and design talent go away from the Mac projects
Don't you think they'll hire more people if/when they choose to do this? Do you really think they'd ask programmers and engineers to become record-company managers?
and I'm also a little worried that in order for Apple to "push" all of its "other" products, it may feel compelled to embrace the PC more and the Mac less.
Apple has been pushing interoperability for quite a long time. This is nothing new, and they are well aware of the fact that you don't have to clone something in order to become compatible with it.

johnbro23
Jul 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
Macs are successful too--increasingly so. Apple can make iPods without detracting from Macs. iPods help sell Macs, in fact.

Thats why I bought a Mac. I was so obsessed with gettin my first iPod, I spent a ton of time on apple.com. I started checking out the computers, and eventually fell in love with them. I now have an eMac that I absolutely love. I'm getting a PowerBook in 2 years for college, I'm already saving money for it :)

nagromme
Jul 22, 2004, 03:04 PM
Enjoy your PowerBook G5 :D