Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eboyer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Hi. I recently did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, and upon doing that I installed Windows XP Pro through Bootcamp. I was happy to see that a new feature of Bootcamp in SL is that the user can read files from the OSX partition while booted into Windows.

Unfortunately, it's not working properly for me. From Windows I can read any part of my OSX drive, except for my user's folder, which is where all the files that I need are located.

Any idea why this is happening?

eboyer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I decided to play around with the file permissions for my files in OSX, but that didn't seem to change anything when trying to view them in Bootcamp. Also, the files from the other users on my computer have similar permissions to mine (only that user can read the files), so I don't think it's OSX permissions that are giving me problems.

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
you need a program like macdrive8 or paragon hfs to read mac drives. windows cannot read drives formatted with osx.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
same for me. to view your home folders you have to type them into the explorer address box i.e. "E:/Macintosh HD/user/Desktop"

anyone know how to make the contents of the home folder fully visible?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
You probably have a hidden .[something]authority file (like .Xauthority) in the folder that you can't view. Delete those files and try again, or just move them to the trash so that you can restore if necessary. I have found that they don't do anything for me, but show up when I use the x11 environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.