PDA

View Full Version : Apple's red-hot iPod digital music player is the latest riv...

MacBytes
Jul 21, 2004, 11:22 AM
Category: Tunes
Link: Apple\'s red-hot iPod digital music player is the latest rival to batter the radio business. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040721122213)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iMeowbot
Jul 21, 2004, 12:51 PM
"A high-capacity MP3 player set to randomly shuffle through gigantic playlists can provide the sense of surprise and discovery that was previously the exclusive domain of radio," Webster added.
And radio squandered that advantage years ago. Even the "classic" & "oldies" formats, with 10-30 years' worth of material at their disposal, manage to play the same 9 or 10 tracks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

mainstreetmark
Jul 21, 2004, 01:42 PM
Let me just add my thoughts on that:

...and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and a commercial for a car dealership who's somehow got to liquidate their whole inventory again and then it's back to the same dozen songs played over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

nagromme
Jul 21, 2004, 02:20 PM
...and over, until you hate even the "good" songs--the very product the radio industry is pushing!

But at least you can move to a new city, with new radio stations... getting their playlists from the exact same national services.

I'm glad I have a public radio rock station. 80% of the music is different stuff from the commercial rock stations, far more variety of genres, and far less repetition of songs. Oh, and no ads except for rare public service anouncements :D

mainstreetmark
Jul 21, 2004, 07:33 PM
Clearchannel Communications is the cause of all this. They've lost restrictions on media ownership and have enough money on hand to buy up any FCC broadcaster that happens to come available. Then they slap a Cool FM, a Q Country or a Point on it - and america gets dumber.

What station do you have? I used to have KDHX in Saint Louis that was amazing - I miss it.

FosterKanig
Jul 21, 2004, 08:06 PM
And over and over and over and over. There is NO surprise to what you are going to hear on the radio. It's the same stuff. And having talk DJs as a benefit, I don't think so. I'll take my audio books over any DJ every day of the week. And I do.

::Haven't listened to the radio in over 1.5 years::

::bought my iPod 1.75 years ago::

shamino
Jul 22, 2004, 12:09 PM
But radio's repetitiveness killed it long before the iPod came along. People started playing cassettes (and the CDs) in the car and they started switching to news/talk stations when they want something other than music.

And then satellite radio comes along with (for the moment, anyway) a much wider variety of music, a cleaner signal, and nationwide coverage.

The iPod is a relative latecomer to this game. It (along with satellite radio, competing music players, CD sales, etc) is mopping up the remains of a market that otherwise died many years ago.

iMeowbot
Jul 22, 2004, 09:46 PM
But radio's repetitiveness killed it long before the iPod came along. People started playing cassettes (and the CDs) in the car and they started switching to news/talk stations when they want something other than music.
Yep. If not for traffic and storm closings on WBZ, I wouldn't use the radio at all. It's a real shame, Boston used to have a really interesting and eclectic choice of stations. There's a tiny bit left, but either only late on sundays nights or on some 5-watt wonder that only comes through if the weather is just right. Bleah.
And then satellite radio comes along with (for the moment, anyway) a much wider variety of music, a cleaner signal, and nationwide coverage.
...but none of the local flavor. I remember when even larger commercial stations like WBCN would play weird random things sent in by unsigned/tiny label artists and so on. I wonder how an act like the Pixies would have fared if they appeared now.