Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I'm working on a DVD that combines footage we shot with a Quicktime created by someone else (the Quicktime clip is a series of still images apparently created in IMovie as a photo montage and was shown during the event and we are editing it into the sequence). Usually we have no problems and the final product ends up looking great. This time...

The footage of the main source is DV/DVCPRO NTSC, 720X480, 29.97fps lower (even) dominance

The sequence matches those settings

The Quicktime clip is h.264, 1920X1080, square pixel, upper (odd) dominance

I inserted the Quicktime clip into the sequence, which made it letterboxed. Rendered it (which took close to 2 hours). Then rendered the rest of the sequence for some color correction.

Exported the full sequence as a non-compressed Quicktime with current settings.

Compressed that movie via Compressor using standard 120 minute DVD best quality preset. Made DVD in DVDStudio Pro.

Everything looks good on the computer but when played on a TV (which is an LCD HD) the 12 minute photo montage looks horrible - images are very jagged and look like the Field dominance is off.

I had thought that rendering the clip into the sequence would get everything smoothed out and uniform.

Wondering what I should have done or should do. Or if this is the best quality I can expect given what I have to work with.

I'm currently rendering just that clip in a sequence that has the same settings as before except the field dominance is set to match the clip. But that's taking another 2 hours (so if I get suggestions before that, can stop and try them). My plan is to compress it separately and insert it into the timeline in DVDSP and see what happens.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
I'd probably transcode the original H264 into something a little more timeline friendly.

Usually I transcode H264 into ProRes 422 using Compressor or MPEG Streamclip.

Not saying that this will solve your problem, but if you have the time it might be an avenue to pursue ...

Cheers.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I'd probably transcode the original H264 into something a little more timeline friendly.

Usually I transcode H264 into ProRes 422 using Compressor or MPEG Streamclip.

Not saying that this will solve your problem, but if you have the time it might be an avenue to pursue ...

Cheers.

I'll give that a try...I was hoping/figuring FCP would do something similar when it rendered, (as I usually only edit things I shoot/create...haven't had to deal with correcting other people's 'mistakes' :)

In looking at Compressor, I'm wondering which setting I should use - interlaced or interlaced (high)

And for my own education, why would I do ProRes instead of converting it into DV NTSC?

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
You could transcode to DV NTSC straight off if that's what you're outputting at.

Because you're using HD footage 1920 x 1080 I assumed you'd want to keep it at the highest settings you could (and ProRes is a good codec for keeping the original quality), but like you point out, is probably overkill if you're outputting in SD.

I'm not sure about the Compressor settings sorry. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I did do both - took a heck of a lot less time than rendering the frackin' file in FCP. And decided that since it was going to SD (and letterboxed at that) and that it was still photos, I'd save some time and see how the DV NTSC works.

Nice to know options and learn new things.

Thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.