Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wisestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Hi everyone,

I recomended a macbook air to my sister back in July and it was the highest spec of MBA (2.13Ghz, 2GB Ram and 128GB SSD).

I am still using a DELL D420 and still wondering if I should get the same MBA, while Dell just update the Adamo spec, which to me is pretty nice. (Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SL9600 (2.1GHz/800MHz FSB/3M L2 Cache), 4GB DDR3 800MHz Ram, 256GB SSD and Intel® GS45 Graphic with 256MB)

I can only judge from the spec that the onboad front side bus on MBA is better 1066Mhz vs 800Mhz and the L2 Cache 6MB vs. 3MB (I think this is important).

Apart from these two points, the new Adamo has 4GB Ram vs. the 2GB (No upgradable) and 256GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD (This is importnat for me since I have a lot of files and programs)

And I am still used to Windows system...but I am willing to change if I am convinced that MBA is better.

What about you guys? anyone shares some thoughts and experiences here for me? Thank you!

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Hi everyone,

I recomended a macbook air to my sister back in July and it was the highest spec of MBA (2.13Ghz, 2GB Ram and 128GB SSD).

I am still using a DELL D420 and still wondering if I should get the same MBA, while Dell just update the Adamo spec, which to me is pretty nice. (Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SL9600 (2.1GHz/800MHz FSB/3M L2 Cache), 4GB DDR3 800MHz Ram, 256GB SSD and Intel® GS45 Graphic with 256MB)

I can only judge from the spec that the onboad front side bus on MBA is better 1066Mhz vs 800Mhz and the L2 Cache 6MB vs. 3MB (I think this is important).

Apart from these two points, the new Adamo has 4GB Ram vs. the 2GB (No upgradable) and 256GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD (This is importnat for me since I have a lot of files and programs)

And I am still used to Windows system...but I am willing to change if I am convinced that MBA is better.

What about you guys? anyone shares some thoughts and experiences here for me? Thank you!

PS: Just to add that I look up at Intel's website and found that for SL9600 CPU, the frontside bus is 1066Mhz and the L2 Cache is 6MB? I don't know why the Dell Website lists differently???

Yes definitely a great set of components but Mac OS X allows me to run both windows \ OS X which if I want just one laptop that's a requirement. 4 Gb ram\256 SSD would be amazing on the Air but not if I'm limited just to windows.

I'll have to browse around CNET and see some bench mark's I'm curious how it pans out with the slower bus speeds\ram in comparison and I'm not certain on that GPU what it can do

wisestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Durious,

Thanks for the comment.

I am also waiting for some official review / benchmark on the Adamo.

But I also feel that in the very near feature MBA will come out the newer / better spec to compete. hehe, always faster, better ones out there...

Deppe

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
Durious,

Thanks for the comment.

I am also waiting for some official review / benchmark on the Adamo.

But I also feel that in the very near feature MBA will come out the newer / better spec to compete. hehe, always faster, better ones out there...

There was a Adamo vs MBA in a number of Stuff Magazine in the UK where the MBA won with the comment "The Adamo is thinner than the MBA but heavier, and ultimately the Air has the edge with better build and more power for less cash".

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

It can't be the SL9600 processor because the SL9600 is what the Air uses and it's specs are:

2.13GHz/1066MHz FSB/6MB L2 Cache.

Unless they crippled the SL9600 for the Adamo...

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLGEQ

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't care for the new Adamo XPS, but the older Adamo is a much better competitor to the MBA.

The "older" Adamo, still newer than the MBA, now has the same SL9600 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo Intel CPU in it. The Adamo also has 4 GB RAM as an option, AND 256 GB SSD. The Adamo is thinner too.

Now, I love the MBA, but Apple is quickly allowing it to fall far behind MANY other ultraportables. Sony has two ultraportables that compete well, one of which has 4 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD option. HP, Dell, Sony, and other notebooks like MSI all compete very well against the MBA.

The MBA was the premier ultraportable a year ago when the Nvidia GPU and SL9600 Core 2 Duo were introduced in MBA v 2,1.

I hope Apple surprises us with an updated MBA before Christmas. Apple did state during its quarterly conference call that holiday air shipping costs would be MUCH higher due to something other than a tablet device. I have to consider that Apple is intending to introduce Arrandale Mac notebook updates OR possibly just a new AppleTV or even new actual TVs or another "consumer" like device. I guess the point is it leaves the possibility for a new MBA still this year. Apple often gets new Intel CPUs before the rest of computer manufacturers, so Arrandale on Jan 5, 2010 could be Dec 10, 2009. At least I hope so.

jasleinstein

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Leopard vs windows

I can't comment on the hardware, but I do allot of sophistcated documents, spreadsheets and am a photographer shooting 25MB images on a high end Canon . I have a Mac Pro Desktop, Macbook Pro and recently got a MacBook Air. I am amazed at the power of the Macbook Air. Every spreadsheet (some 10 or 15 linked sheets) documents (many are 40 to 50 pages) open and are totally usable. It is very nice being able to tote such a lightweight device around the office and home. On the photo front I am able to carry the Macbook air to shoots that I do. The 130GB SSD ends up with about 90GB of storage after apps are loaded. I can easily keep a short days worth of photos (maybe 30 to 40 GB ) on the Macbook air. I am able to do basic viewing of the photos on the Macbook air with Canon DPP or photoshop or even Iphoto. It is my experience there are no comparable photo apps on the windows except PS. On my Macbook pro and Mac Pro desktop am very clear digital media with photos, videos and music life is much better on OSX vs Windows.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Which Adamo XPS are we talking about? Hopefully not this one:

Dell-Adamo-XPS-Open-300x200.jpg

If so, this is most horribly designed laptop in the last decade.. Someone at Dell should be getting fired for this.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
when i look at a design like the new adamo...i think right away about build quality,

that above machine is hideous and would never withstand regular everyday use.

another huge fail for dell as a company to compete with apple.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yes... wouldn't be the first manufacturer to cripple (Underclock) the hardware due to heating issues. (Assumption not based on fact).

But it's not just underclocking the CPU, its lowering the FSB to 800MHz to match with the underclocked DDR3 ram, and they crippled 1/2 of the L2 cache. It's not gonna be any "cooler" because the voltage is still the same.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Which Adamo XPS are we talking about? Hopefully not this one:

Dell-Adamo-XPS-Open-300x200.jpg

If so, this is most horribly designed laptop in the last decade.. Someone at Dell should be getting fired for this.

I agree the design seems unrealistic for use on a lap anywhere. I think it's a complete fail and proof that being thin at the cost of a normal design simply isn't worth it. Weight and thinness all factor in but so do durability and practical use. Whoever designed this weren't thinking of who might buy it. I think the original Adamo is a nice design, but this one is pathetic.

Also, in the future people should include an image of non-Apple products so everyone can comment with a view of it. Much easier to remember and comment with a photo.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Here's the thing: If you're going for a Macbook Air or an Adimo or whatever, you don't care about power- you care about portability.

If that's the case, I would compare the Macbook Air to the Dell Adimo or the Dell Latitude Z600. And if you're comparing the Air to the adimo, I think the air is nicer. However, if you include the z600, which has wireless charging, wireless USB and video and, well, wireless everything, then that's a whole 'nother story.

Moral: If you're not attached to OS X and just want a nice and very thin computer, check out the Dell latitude z600.

laptop-latitude-z-295.jpg

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Here's the thing: If you're going for a Macbook Air or an Adimo or whatever, you don't care about power- you care about portability.

If that's the case, I would compare the Macbook Air to the Dell Adimo or the Dell Latitude Z600. And if you're comparing the Air to the adimo, I think the air is nicer. However, if you include the z600, which has wireless charging, wireless USB and video and, well, wireless everything, then that's a whole 'nother story.

Moral: If you're not attached to OS X and just want a nice and very thin computer, check out the Dell latitude z600.

I was checking it out and it's 4.4 lbs similar to the MBP 13" 4.5 lbs. I guess part of the air's other great attribute is the 3.0 lbs. I like the look of the one you posted though pretty slick. Dell's style continues to improve!

wisestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008

But it is 16" screen, it is a bit too big for travellers like me. I guess it is too difficult to choose between the performace and portability...thanks anyway for the suggestion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.