PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Means Nothing

Andyman
Jul 21, 2004, 12:18 PM
Ebay feedback counts for very little. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to ebay concerning the strong-arm tactics employed by some eBay sellers:

"I won auctions on items listed by XXXXXX member. I paid for the items (via paypal) on the same day I won the items. This member has not left any feedback on me. I have now recieved the items I won and paid for and I am not happy with the way they were described in the listing. I have complained to this member and he has basically dismissed my complaints offhandedly. I would like to enter negative feedback about items purchased from this member.

The problem is that I suspect he will unjustifiably (given my prompt payment following close of the auctions) leave negative feedback on me (I only have 12 (all positive) feedbacks to date. His actions basically mean that by waiting until positive feedback is entered on him he is basically holding other members to ransom. This is an obvious abuse of the feedback system.

When I sell items through ebay I ALWAYS leave feedback following reciept of payment from the successful bidder and NOT after I have recieved feedback from them as they have KEPT their side of the bargain. Is there any way to resolve this matter?

I think I will view 100% feedbacks with much more skceptism going forward. There must be a weight given to the time feedback is entered by sellers or the feedback system means nothing, particularly for those trying to build their positive feedback."

Just my little stab at eBay and the dishonesty of some sellers. Is there anything you guys can suggest?

A

themadchemist
Jul 22, 2004, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure what to suggest, but I think you're absolutely correct. I doubt eBay will do much about it, though.

It is kind of annoying to see people with supposedly great trustworthiness selling abandoned nuclear silos in Tacoma. It would be great if the system weren't abused.

And yes, this problem of feedback ransom is no good. It might be nice if there were a time limit on when you could enter feedback and the feedback were double blind until the time limit expired. That way, you could enter your feedback any time during the period, but by the time the other person knew you had given him a negative rating, it would be too late to retaliate.

I don't know what the costs associated with such an implementation, would be, though.