PDA

View Full Version : Line Break/Tab issues in XCode and JMP

gotzero
Oct 23, 2009, 02:19 PM
I am finding that code files I write in JMP on the mac and then open in SAS on Unix or Windows do not register line breaks.

Similarly, I am noticing that when I modify Java files in XCode, my tabbing is no longer correct when I open the files in Text Editor or ConTEXT on the PC.

Is there something easy I am missing? I tried searching after noticing this was not an isolated case, but I did not come up with much.

rowsdower
Oct 23, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure about JMP, but XCode has options for both line endings and tabs/spaces. Line endings are under Preferences->Text Editing. You can either preserve existing or force them to something else. Tabs are under Preferences->Indentation. You can either leave tab characters in the file or convert them to a certain number of spaces. I don't think that it replaces tabs throughout the file when you save it, but I could be wrong.

gotzero
Oct 24, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I shifted the xcode preferences around, and although there is one program that still reads the files as before, I can get over it.

I still cannot figure out the JMP issue, since an "enter" keystroke is rarely something that is user controllable.

rowsdower
Oct 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Line breaks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline) are surprisingly complicated for such a simple idea, especially on the Mac.