PDA

View Full Version : anyone here own the book "The Protocols TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1"?

NusuniAdmin
Jul 21, 2004, 03:03 PM
ANyone here have the protocols tcp/ip volume 1?

I was just wondering what all your comments are on the book.

I am thinking of learning some more on tcp/ip stuff....basically right now I know some basic and some advanced things with the tcp protocol. And was this book very advanced or did it have advanced things in an easy to read format.

Thanks.

maradong
Jul 22, 2004, 01:29 AM
amazon.com link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201633469/qid=1090477660/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2792779-4664615?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols is an excellent text that provides encyclopedic coverage of the TCP/IP protocol suite. What sets this book apart from others on this subject is the fact that the author supplements all of the discussion with data collected via diagnostic programs; thus, it is possible to "watch" the protocols in action in a real situation. Also, the diagnostic tools involved are publicly available; the reader has the opportunity to play along at home. This offers the reader an unparalleled opportunity to really get a feel for the behavior of the protocols in day-to-day operation. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols features clear discussions and well-designed figures.

iNetwork
Jul 22, 2004, 03:53 AM
It depends on what you'd like to know about TCP/IP. If you want to understand NETWORKING better it's not a good book to get. If you're interested in protocol design and the way computers use them to send/receive data then this is something you should be interested in.

If you're interested in networking in general, the CCNA certification library is a good set of books to get. They explain how TCP/IP interact with the other network layers. They give you a great overall view of how your home or business network works. I've read the CCNA books and they are very comprehensive for the beginner. They also ease you into the networking world! They also give you a good discount on Boson NetSIM software. I use that to design networks, configure the routers, etc..

ISBN: 1-58720-095-3