PDA

View Full Version : New PowerMac G4 Enclosure (new)

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 02:57 AM
In PDF Format

(sorry about the other thread, couldn't get file to show)

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 03:05 AM
I wouldn't mind a case like that. Especially the 4 Interal HD bays.

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 03:05 AM
note the design, this is not a mockup I made up.

All in time...

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 03:16 AM
Well, we'll see in August. I for one am expecting another incarnation of the old blue and white case if any change. I dobut we'll see a radical new case design until the G5 so this is viable. Of course my product predictions have all been wrong lately.

Beej
Jul 21, 2002, 03:34 AM
So what is the case made from? And what are the proc speeds etc?

SilvorX
Jul 21, 2002, 03:34 AM
it'dd be pretty sweet, but wouldnt the tower be bigger now or same size as is now?

afonso
Jul 21, 2002, 06:30 AM
http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2002-07-21

apparently this confirms what was posted above...

scem0
Jul 21, 2002, 06:39 AM
I like how the case looks on that french site, I hope it is real :D. But if I am not mistaken do I see SD RAM on the board. I was expecting DDR? Amd I missing something? :confused:

Wes
Jul 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
SD-ram? I thought it would have ddr!

Tiauguinho
Jul 21, 2002, 06:43 AM
And it says that it takes up to 4096 Mb of RAM...

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by afonso
http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2002-07-21

apparently this confirms what was posted above...

That's cool! It is almost exactly what I predicted when the rumors said the new cases would be white!

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=7332

Where can I pick up my reward??? ;)

groovebuster

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 06:57 AM
:D

groovebuster

[attachment removed at request of Apple Legal]

macmunch
Jul 21, 2002, 07:01 AM
It says 4096 MB RAM
and on the PDF it says 4 SD RAM slots

But some friend of me saz always DDR SD RAM
so ... we will see
:)

But by the way guys it seems to be a very Powerful chip no low powered G4 because he needs very very good cooling Turbine a other cooler.

I think that this is no G4 like we know !
maybe the 7500 with rapid IO.

And look at the picture with the CPU it self that look not like a G4 or design of a G4 board ?!

correct if iam wrong

iGav
Jul 21, 2002, 07:02 AM
That is truely disgusting..........:eek: :eek: :eek:

Beej
Jul 21, 2002, 07:12 AM
Heh. Way cool. I'll take 5!

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:18 AM
DAMN the internet moves fast! I just made that PDF in CorelDRAW last night! and e-mailed it to macrumors.com webmaster but after getting no reply I posted it on the boards earlier; THAT WAS FRIGGIN FAST!

but perhaps I've said too much.

By the way it's not white it's the same silver color G4s are now, teh image is distorted (stretched, but you knew that) the sides, top, and handles are indistinguishable from P57 (QuickSilver); just A COMPLETE change of the internal design, and front and back panel are different.

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:22 AM
Well atleast ya'll can rest assured this was the first place teh PDF showed up; I only posted it to this board.

(the french site gave credit to Spymac, and they said 'they' were sent the pdf, perhaps somebody sent it after reading this thread... hmm)

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by APPLEP58
By the way it's not white it's the same silver color G4s are now, teh image is distorted (stretched, but you knew that) the sides, top, and handles are indistinguishable from P57 (QuickSilver); just A COMPLETE change of the internal design, and front and back panel are different.

So you wonna tell me that the parts of the case in the picture are the same color as the silver parts of my Quicksilver???

BULL-*****!!!!

The contrasts and the b/w ratio look pretty fine in the picture. The case is WHITE in that picture! Maybe you should make an appointment with your eye doctor! ;)

groovebuster

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:26 AM
BTW the french site has very old pics of what's called a DVT or EVT model, many components aren't seen, like the massive heatsink; and teh MPU die is not at a 45 degree like that in the final product; the boards are blue like th XServe's...

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster

So you wonna tell me that the parts of the case in the picture are the same color as the silver parts of my Quicksilver???

BULL-*****!!!!

The contrasts and the b/w ratio look pretty fine in the picture. The case is WHITE in that picture! Maybe you should make an appointment with your eye doctor! ;)

groovebuster

I ddin't need to look at that picture ;)

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:32 AM
You'll know I'm right when you see a final product with something only very recently changed... The green AGP card retainer clip which slides over the AGP slot; Has been replaced by a single piece brown connector with the clip built into it...

Tiauguinho
Jul 21, 2002, 07:33 AM
APPLEP58

What about the Spec's???

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 07:37 AM

I ddin't need to look at that picture ;)

Yeah... right! :D Can you explain exactly to me then, how everything on that mac looks white? Why there were rumors of white speakers before? I am curious! :D

grooveuster

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
APPLEP58

What about the Spec's???

unfortunately, that would be far too identifying...

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 07:50 AM

Of course, because it would identify you as a bull-****ter! :D You don't have a clue about the specs I bet!

As if you are the only person who would know the specs before. To tell people about the case is not worse than giving the specs.

But I bet you just got the hint yourself about the new G4s somewhere and now you want to get the credits for it! :D

I don't see why else a newbie would drop in and "spill some beans".

So if you know something about the specs tell them to us! If you don't .... ****!!! ;)

groovebuster

APPLEP58
Jul 21, 2002, 07:53 AM
Your wish is my command, you will not hear from me ever again. Thank the previous poster all. Good bye.

BJNY
Jul 21, 2002, 08:01 AM

Would you at least tell us when to expect the new towers,
and if GigaWire has been incorporated?
Plus, what do the front vents, 4" variable speed turbine fan
and very large 7 lb. heat sink mean in terms of processor,
and is the box at least quieter?

Eugene
Jul 21, 2002, 08:09 AM
The cameras was too close to the tower when the person took the photo...the flash was too powerful as a result. I've taken photos of my own G4 that make it seem white.

antaisce
Jul 21, 2002, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info, for this is a rumour site where everybody is invited to share his info.
Other people, who accuse should not vivist these sites, but stay with "facts".
People like you keep this thing alive, even if some of them are only joking.

Go on, we'd like to hear more

Tiauguinho
Jul 21, 2002, 08:21 AM
Groovebuster....

Dialog is essencial to make people understand eachother. We discuss rumors, we expose our opinions. Future PowerMac's is one thing that we all would like to know more about.

I do hope that the next time you're the one who should ****!

JW Pepper
Jul 21, 2002, 08:28 AM

Are you saying that lots of people are involved in case design, but that few know specs. Or are you saying that there are multiple configurations around and if you quote yours you will identify yourself?

Please ignore that ignorant and rude post.

Most insider information comes from people who either don't post to these forums or make just one or two very rare posts. If true insiders were to post regularly the would soon give themselves away.

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 09:12 AM
Your wish is my command, you will not hear from me ever again. Thank the previous poster all. Good bye.

That is funny! :D First time provoked a little bit and he's pouting!

Yeah... come on folks! Blame it all on me now when we'll never hear from him again!

In fact he was posting the PDF AFTER spymac had an article up about it! 4 a.m. on spymac, 8 a.m. here... and he was claiming to be the person who did the PDF, informing arn as the first person... how comes that spymac had it up since for hours already?? I don't think that arn would give the info to spymac first before he's putting it up.

I am still sure he didn't see the prototype at all, he just found the PDF somewhere else before and wanted to be the hero for one night!

If he's already telling the whole world about the new cases (don't forget that he included a detailed PDF) there is no problem for him to also tell more about the specs! At this time Apple must be producing already the machines, if they really want to release them in August. There must be dozens of people now outside of Apple who know about the specs but are not allowed to talk about it. If he's staying anonynmous I don't see at all how that could bring him into danger, especially since he said something about the AGP slot that could have just the same effect (to uncover his identity)...
His only purpose was getting attention and making people begging him to tell more. Screw that! If he has to tell us something, fine! If not he shouldn't make the people believe he's in the inner circle at Apple Corp. and knows about all the details the folks are lingering for here, even he doesn't know anything...

Oh... and one more thing!

I put a ;) behind my last sentence. I am pretty sure that most of the people know what that means! If not... their problem!

groovebuster

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Groovebuster....

Dialog is essencial to make people understand eachother. We discuss rumors, we expose our opinions. Future PowerMac's is one thing that we all would like to know more about.

I do hope that the next time you're the one who should ****!

Exactly! And since he was just posing to have info he wouldn't share with us he just confirmed that he wouldn't tell us anyway. So what is the big deal now?

There are the following possibilities:

1) He doesn't know ***** about the specs and therefore can't tell us anything.

2) He knows something but is not willing at all to talk about it.

In both cases the outcome is the same. We won't hear any details from him. As I said in my post before I don't believe that he knows anything about the specs. That he was leaving right away after teasing him a little bit is an obvious sign for taking the opportunity to get out of the situation. I wonder anyway why he would come to a forum like macrumors to tell the world about the news he discovered. There must be a connection. I bet he is a regular of macrumors but just subscribed again to stay anonymous.

Whatever...

groovebuster

P.S.: You forgot the ;) behind ****, so I tend to take it personal now! :D

antaisce
Jul 21, 2002, 09:36 AM
****;)

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 09:39 AM
iginally posted by JW Pepper [/i]

Most insider information comes from people who either don't post to these forums or make just one or two very rare posts. If true insiders were to post regularly the would soon give themselves away. [/QUOTE]

Exactly why I don't believe him to be an "insider" at all...

An insider would never make some PDFs himself (in CorelDraw :D!!) and share them on a rumors site. People like that always stay in the background and just provide the right people with the right information once in a while, but would never start posting themselves this way.

Anyway... he's gone now! If it makes you all feel better you can hate me from now on! I don't care!

groovebuster

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by antaisce
****;)

:eek:

:o

:confused:

:rolleyes:

:p

:D

groovebuster

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 09:50 AM

That's cool! It is almost exactly what I predicted when the rumors said the new cases would be white!

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=7332

Where can I pick up my reward??? ;)

groovebuster
Nobody agreed that the cases are white in that picture. It's obviously the glow from the table!

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 09:53 AM

BULL-*****!!!!

groovebuster
Maybe someone should learn about camera flashes when taking pictures of shinny plastic computers. That powermac looks like the same color as a quicksilver washed out by the flash or by lights.

Eugene
Jul 21, 2002, 09:57 AM
In fact he was posting the PDF AFTER spymac had an article up about it! 4 a.m. on spymac, 8 a.m. here... and he was claiming to be the person who did the PDF, informing arn as the first person... how comes that spymac had it up since for hours already?? I don't think that arn would give the info to spymac first before he's putting it up.

There are these little known things called TIME ZONES.

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'm not getting in on this one, but look at the date - this is from the submissions forum, no editing on my part. Lighten up :rolleyes:

That still doesn't prove anything... why would he put the PDFs on himself, if he's so concerned about staying anonymous?

Whatever...

groovebuster

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by theranch

Maybe someone should learn about camera flashes when taking pictures of shinny plastic computers. That powermac looks like the same color as a quicksilver washed out by the flash or by lights.

Then maybe you can show me the part of the front panel of the Quicksilver case that is shiny! Have fun searching.

BTW... on that french website they were all talking about it to be white. Interesting, huh?

groovebuster

kishba
Jul 21, 2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Eugene

nice to see you on macrumors Eugene :D
is appleinsider becoming boring? ;)

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Eugene

There is that little known fact, that the clock of spymac macrumors uses GMT...

groovebuster

kishba
Jul 21, 2002, 10:24 AM

There is that little known fact, that the clock of spymac macrumors uses GMT...

groovebuster

macrumors uses eastern time.... "All times are GMT -5 hours. The time now is 11:23 AM"

i should also note is an hour ahead :)

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by kishba

macrumors uses eastern time.... "All times are GMT -5 hours. The time now is 11:23 AM"

i should also note is an hour ahead :)

Well... last time I checked it said:

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 PM.

That this is an hour ahead is right indeed.

groovebuster

OKComputer
Jul 21, 2002, 10:39 AM
in the picture the board says copyright 2001. seems like this picture may just be one of the many steps towards their final design.....and god I hope so, that thing is horrid. dont get me wrong. if it had a G5 in it Id still buy it :)

firewire2001
Jul 21, 2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by asurace
I wouldn't mind a case like that. Especially the 4 Interal HD bays.

i dont think that could work... ide only accepts 4 devices as a standard... any more would be kinda hard on the system to keep running -- theyd go pretty slow.. unless apple really worked on and developed ide... which i dont see happeninge...

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by OKComputer
in the picture the board says copyright 2001.

I noticed the same... even this is a late prototype it means that Apple had this baby almost finished since last year. Combine that with fact that a lot of rumors are going 'round since end of last year that Motorola finished the G5 and could start delivering at any given time I tend to believe the people now who claimed that Apple is holding back the new chip on purpose.

If that is the case I don't knwo what to think about it. Probably even the OS before 10.2 isn't able to run on a G5 (not to mention OS 9).

It would the second time in Apple's history that they have the hardware ready, but not the software. Do you people remember the first PowerMacs runnning System 7.1.2??? That was horrible! Probably they have the same problem now switching with the whole OS to the next processor generation.

I don't believe that the transition to MacOS X makes them holding back the new technology as a main reason. they could still have a performant G4 for those people who still need the G4/MacOS9.

I don't know... I guess I am not sure about that one.

groovebuster

Linkage
Jul 21, 2002, 12:01 PM
From Spymac version:

PDF Properties

Title: MacP58
Author: APPLEP58
Creator: CorelDRAW Version 10.0
Created: 7/20/2002 10:58:21 PM

I believe this settles it. Lets move on...

Aggressively Mediocre, Mentally Challenged, Fantasy Island (circle one)

Backtothemac
Jul 21, 2002, 12:08 PM
Damn, groove, can you not have a normal conversation with people! Do you have access to the private forums? No, then don't assume you know everything that goes on around here. You can debate the rumor without offending the person.

Grokgod
Jul 21, 2002, 12:15 PM
That 2001 date confirms wat I ave been saying about APPLE having TECH ages ago and metering it out to users!

If its a true date , that is.

I like the case, bu tthe SDRAM, bums me big time!

Mr Jobs
Jul 21, 2002, 12:22 PM

he'll probably be back under a different name

Backtothemac
Jul 21, 2002, 12:27 PM
There is no doubt that this is real. The case is not photoshoped, but we are looking at a prototype that did not make the cut. That is all.

Sayer
Jul 21, 2002, 12:30 PM
The PDF draws the ports on the back very close together (non-proportional maybe).

On the red eBay motherboard there was a mystery port between FireWire and the Ethernet port and a gap between the audio ports again.

So unless the drawing is not to scale/proprortion of what really is, there should be some gaps between ports AND either a mystery port or a gap where one USED TO BE.

Its unfortunate that Apple, if this is all accurate, constantly witholds technology for various reasons. Apple created FireWire for pete's sake, why not add the next gen of it and let it be adopted like they did for USB?

At some point I must justify the higher costs of buying a Mac using 3-4 year old technology. If Apple doesn't move forward on 50% of what its selling technology-wise what is the point in upgradin to get simply a fast CPU?

The new G4 should AT LEAST have ATA/133, DDR RAM, new bus/controller and a newer design of G4 not just a speed bumped 7455. This new G4 looks like a rehashing of the current QuickSilver. Whoopee.

AirPort can be upgraded and should have been by now both in the underlying hardware and speed/features.

FireWire 2 should definately be possible, Apple should know above all else how to implement it.

Apple actually increased its cash to 4.3 billion - BILLION - even after buying a dozen companies the past year plus. Innovate on the hardware AND software Apple. I cant download a new FireWire port or faster ATA!

groovebuster
Jul 21, 2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Damn, groove, can you not have a normal conversation with people! Do you have access to the private forums? No, then don't assume you know everything that goes on around here. You can debate the rumor without offending the person.

Oh yes, I can... if you maybe would also read other threads I posted at, you wouldn't say something stupid like that.

At the moment I am just in a very bad mood towards everything labeled "Apple" and when on top there is a little freak telliing me that he knows something but he can't tell me for not to uncover his identity after he supposevily posted a already a PDF that spills a lot of beans about the coming up PowerMacs... it is enough!

Also... why is it your concern anyway?

If I would take everything personal what people already told me without any reason on this forum, I would have committed suicide already!

groovebuster

Mr Jobs
Jul 21, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
There is no doubt that this is real. The case is not photoshoped, but we are looking at a prototype that did not make the cut. That is all.

It may be the real deal, but i dont know about no photoshop job on this image, look:

red: the edge of the case has been heavily blurred, plus the handle (bottom in the red circle that is) looks out of place, it seems to be sticking outwards rather then under the case.

green: the case has been cut (poorly i might add) out from another image, but maybe that is because he/she wanted to conceal it original identity.

i think this its a prototype cos it looks a bit ***** and Apple dont do sh#t, after all there is 6 or was it 10 case prototype out there right

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

job
Jul 21, 2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
i think this its a prototype cos it looks a bit ***** and Apple dont do sh#t, after all there is 6 or was it 10 case prototype out there right

Remember all those rumors about 10 different case designs going into MWNY? This could be one.

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 01:27 PM
groove, you f*cked it up for everyone.

If you can't control your bad moods, they make a pill for that. it's called prozac. :rolleyes:

job
Jul 21, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by iH8Quark
groove, you f*cked it up for everyone.

If you can't control your bad moods, they make a pill for that. it's called prozac. :rolleyes:

Yep, he sure did didn't he. He had to go and keep questioning APPLEP58 about everything. Come on groove, take everything with a grain of salt. It's sort of hard to prove things over an online forum.

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 01:35 PM
APPLEP58's posts, looking back, were usually pretty good. I think he probably did know at least something more than any of the rest of us do.

geez...i hope the chap comes back.

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 01:39 PM
not to double post, but does anyone know:

If the board has RapidIO, could it get away with only having SDRAM? Any chance those diagrams meant DDR SDRAM?

barkmonster
Jul 21, 2002, 01:50 PM
not to double post, but does anyone know:

If the board has RapidIO, could it get away with only having SDRAM?

Double Data Rate SDRAM is able to provide twice the bandwidth of Single Data Rate by transferring data both on the rising and the falling edge of the clock signal. This means we could be seeing DDR on the motherboard, it would make sense. Rapid I/O would be worthless without DDR or RDRAM anyway, RDRAM being 2 channels of DDR joined together to form a quad pumped memory path.

I'm quite impressed with the case apart from the totally out of place metal drive bays on the front.

I just hope this means we're getting faster G4s with DDR and all the extra expansion options this case would offer and for no more than the current range of G4s cost.

dazzla
Jul 21, 2002, 04:56 PM
For all you people worrying about the fact that it might be sdram:

http://www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU/~ceugene/sekrit.jpg

Those slots are DDR, you people have nothing to worry about...

alex_ant
Jul 21, 2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
That is truely disgusting..........:eek: :eek: :eek:
You don't like it? Apple must be trying to start a new trend... "saran-wrap sheik" :D

solvs
Jul 21, 2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sayer
The PDF draws the ports on the back very close together (non-proportional maybe).

On the red eBay motherboard there was a mystery port between FireWire and the Ethernet port and a gap between the audio ports again.

So unless the drawing is not to scale/proprortion of what really is, there should be some gaps between ports AND either a mystery port or a gap where one USED TO BE.

Its unfortunate that Apple, if this is all accurate, constantly witholds technology for various reasons. Apple created FireWire for pete's sake, why not add the next gen of it and let it be adopted like they did for USB?

At some point I must justify the higher costs of buying a Mac using 3-4 year old technology. If Apple doesn't move forward on 50% of what its selling technology-wise what is the point in upgradin to get simply a fast CPU?

The new G4 should AT LEAST have ATA/133, DDR RAM, new bus/controller and a newer design of G4 not just a speed bumped 7455. This new G4 looks like a rehashing of the current QuickSilver. Whoopee.

AirPort can be upgraded and should have been by now both in the underlying hardware and speed/features.

FireWire 2 should definately be possible, Apple should know above all else how to implement it.

Apple actually increased its cash to 4.3 billion - BILLION - even after buying a dozen companies the past year plus. Innovate on the hardware AND software Apple. I cant download a new FireWire port or faster ATA!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Well... actually, I have. I've been saying this stuff for awhile. But anyway, point being I WANT A BETTER COMPUTER.

I am about to buy a new computer. I don't want another Wintel. AMD notwithstanding, WINDOWS SUX. I have a cheapy with Win98, but having played with XP, don't get me started. I want OS X.

But I want current technology. DDR-Ram is nice. If it can speed up a Celeron (we tested a MotherBoard with both DDR and SD-Ram. Trust me, DDR is better, and not that much more expensive for what you get), it can give the G4 the speed it needs. Look at the xServe, even if the DDR is bastardized, it still gives it a boost.

And ATA/133 is a must, even though I know we'll be lucky to get ATA/100. Don't give me that tired old argument that ATA/66 is all you'll ever need. ATA/100 is faster enough to justify. Do they even make ATA/66 Drives anymore? Besides, how am I supposed to access newer drives over 128-137 GB? You have to have ATA/133.

I want one of those Western Digital 200 GB Drive that they just announced. ATA/133 only. I'll have to buy a PCI card, but that proves they could implement it on the MotherBoard. How many ATA/133 Cards do they have out there now? I guess they just want you to buy new computers every year (well, they are a business).

I do digital video, so I need all the speed I can get. But if I'm spending $3000+ for a computer, I expect it to have today's technology. I shouldn't have to spend more to fill up precious PCI slots for TODAY's technology, most of it standard. It's not like I'm asking for onboard SCSI or anything (can't afford thousands of $$$ just for the drives). I'm not even asking for RAID implementation, just a better IDE. Sheesh!

So who cares about what it looks like on the outside. Make it biege for all I care (no, wait... don't do that after all), but make it state-of-the-art INSIDE. FW 2 not being in there yet I can see, and no USB 2 to compete with FW 1, but at least use TODAY's stuff. Case, shmase, WHAT'S INSIDE? You want us to pay PRO prices, give us PRO machines.

P.S. groove, don't worry about it. If this is the real deal, he didn't have much to tell us that we couldn't have seen somewhere else anyway. And that comment about never posting again reminded me of that whole "well, if you don't do things my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" thing. If he had anything good to say, he wouldn't have been so offended so easily. "Put up, or shut up" I say. Like he was doing us a favor or anything (okay, well, he might have been, but still).

The guy doesn't even know how to attach an image (sorry, but the more I think about it, what the guy said really pisses me off. To get so mad over something that wasn't even that rude). He hasn't even proven himself yet (I've checked his other posts, nothing much). You want to prove yourself to be real, stand up for yourself and post something good for pete's sake. Don't just p*ssy out and blame someone who hurt your "wittle feewings" (sic - BTW).

There, now I've really pissed him off.

But I hope the cases don't look like this (and I don't think they will). We'll see in a few weeks.

[Sorry, but I'm in a bad mood, my parents came up this weekend]

MacMaster
Jul 21, 2002, 05:43 PM
Personally I don't like that particualar case. It's really ugly. Although it would work with the prototype mobo seen on ebay, with the PCI and AGP ports on the top etc. I think it's just one of the many prototype cases that apple's testing.

PS: Why can't I post replys to the headline rumor threads, why can't I post attachments, and why can't I make new threads! Maybe I should email arn to ask.

barkmonster
Jul 21, 2002, 05:45 PM
I'm not sold on the white plastic and shiney metal combination on the front of the tower but it's a hell of lot more stylish than the B & W G3 was with it's puke blue/green colour, the huge G3 on the side and that nasty little iMac yo yo mouse and keyboard. That thing looked like a cool bag, I was suprised it didn't come full of lager or pepsi when I first used one and that eject door was a joke, saying that, at least you COULD eject from the case!

Basically they could put it in whatever case they want as far as I'm concerned, it just makes a lot of sense that they're design is going all smokey white now, it's very stylish, minimal and futuristic looking, the metal area on the front of the case has got to go though, it just look out of place.

Galahad
Jul 21, 2002, 05:57 PM
People are freaking out because the PDF says "SDRAM". That doesn't mean it's not DDR. The full name of DDR is "DDR SDRAM". DDR is just an abbreviation for double data rate. Double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory.

Eugene
Jul 21, 2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs

It may be the real deal, but i dont know about no photoshop job on this image, look:

red: the edge of the case has been heavily blurred, plus the handle (bottom in the red circle that is) looks out of place, it seems to be sticking outwards rather then under the case.

green: the case has been cut (poorly i might add) out from another image, but maybe that is because he/she wanted to conceal it original identity.

That's not blur, that's the fact that there's no edge and the photo is washed out.

The 'cuts' you see on the handle are actually the plastic sheet that is stuck to the side of the tower.

The jaggies are all over that photo, not just on the bbottom edge.

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 06:10 PM
This is funny, everyone is freaking out and saying this is a prototype because it's ugly. Everyone said the same thing when the prototype Quicksilver cases leaked a while back. Of course things will be changed to improve the appearance, Apple isn't going to release something that looks like crap.

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Galahad
The full name of DDR is "DDR SDRAM". DDR is just an abbreviation for double data rate. Double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory.

Everybody check out the big brain on Galahad. :p :p :p ;)

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 06:38 PM
[admin edit:

arn]

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 06:51 PM
I tried to fix it up in Photoshop but I didn't have much to work with:

Now it looks like one of those ice sculptures that sits in the middle of your easter brunch buffet at the Holiday Inn ballroom.

Actually, if hey did that, they wouldn't need such a huge heat sync. Now that's thinking different. It's the new ICE line. :D

Oh...I can see the ads now. they're gonna pull Vanilla outta retirement.
"Ice Ice baby" :eek: :D :p

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 06:53 PM

Now it looks like one of those ice sculptures that sits in the middle of your easter brunch buffet at the Holiday Inn ballroom.

Better then looking like glowing saran wrap though ;)

Grokgod
Jul 21, 2002, 07:15 PM
~solvs

Right ON!

I agree totally. that PRO prices mean PRO specs, or should mean that!

Groovebuster~ well , you have gone and made the guy run away, but I think he was looking for a REASON!

Cause you did put those faces on the end of your anger. But I have to admit that even I was wondering what you were trying to say.

Was IT, I HATE you , no wait , I like you , no wait Just kidding!

Wait a minute thats the way I feel towards APPLE right now! LOL

HE should have hung out and explained a bit more on the RAM for sure! or specs.

nigel_t
Jul 21, 2002, 07:17 PM
you guys are so funny,
vanilla will get lots of royalty payment

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by nigel_t
you guys are so funny,
vanilla will get lots of royalty payment

Only if they name this case design the QuickVanilla. :eek: :D :p

Spart
Jul 21, 2002, 08:20 PM
Whoever did that previous Photoshop Edit needs to stay out of photoshop...or leave the Dust & Scratches filter alone. The only thing that filter is good for is making stuff look painted.

I resized the image, removed some of the reflected color (the guy was probably wearing a red T-Shirt), brought out some contrast in the speaker and smoothed some edges up, also removed some of the JPEG artifacts and made the latch on the case not so glaring. Tried to get the handles to look better but only succeded in making them look like grey plastic. I guess there is no cure for some things.

[admin edit:

arn]

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Spart
Whoever did that previous Photoshop Edit needs to stay out of photoshop...or leave the Dust & Scratches filter alone. The only thing that filter is good for is making stuff look painted.

I resized the image, removed some of the reflected color (the guy was probably wearing a red T-Shirt), brought out some contrast in the speaker and smoothed some edges up, also removed some of the JPEG artifacts and made the latch on the case not so glaring. Tried to get the handles to look better but only succeded in making them look like grey plastic. I guess there is no cure for some things.

Oh yeah, thet's a huge improvement. :rolleyes:

:p

If you look closely, you can see the reflection of another tower in the brushed metal portion. So whoever took this photo had more than one of these.

Spart
Jul 21, 2002, 08:33 PM
Compare the photos side by side.

The last thing you want to do is try and take the plastic wrapping off. You will end up with smeared plastic and chopped edges if you don't have a pic of a Quicksilver at the exact same angle to compare it with/paste over it. I'm still working on getting the left edge to look better. I might also make the coloring more Quicksilver-esque. This is an old prototype after all, back then everything wasn't snow or metal.

2Step Garage
Jul 21, 2002, 08:52 PM
One thing i dont understand about these rumored prototype pics is that every photo i see is at a weird angle, horrible lighting or just a bad shot. If you have enough time to take a shot of the new case.. for crying out loud take more than one pic... hehe... Im soo frustrated with all these spy photographers these days... lol, but i guess for it to be pulled off as real you have to make your pic look like you took it in 2 seconds with a hidden camera in your shirt pocket. Ehhh... whateva.. lol... i just think its funny.

If i ever see a rumored new enclosure.... i would be cammera trigger happy... side, front, back, left..... work it!!! yea!

smashedapart
Jul 21, 2002, 08:56 PM
Well, I hope whoever took these photos realizes one thing: Apple is going to have their ass in a sling. Why? Because all Apple prototype systems come with a "DO NOT TAMPER"-style warning label to keep the case from being opened. If this person has one of these systems, they're going to be in hot water when they ship it back to Apple. 'nuff said.

-- smashedapart

Durandal7
Jul 21, 2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Spart

For one thing I didn't even use dust & scratches. For another thing , the only point of that pic was to show what the case would like in QS color if the guy didn't trigger the flash 2 feet away from the case. :rolleyes:

tjwett
Jul 21, 2002, 09:24 PM
it looks ok but perhaps that metal area on the front is only there in the prototype and the real thing will have something that looks better. it looks like it was hacked together. the vents looked cool until i found out they were vents. i thought they were front-mounted FireWire and USB ports. that would be a nice way to do it and keep the design clean. anyway, i'm not that exited until i see some specs.

Spart
Jul 21, 2002, 09:44 PM

For one thing I didn't even use dust & scratches. For another thing , the only point of that pic was to show what the case would like in QS color if the guy didn't trigger the flash 2 feet away from the case. :rolleyes:

That was supposed to be quicksilver?

Anyway...here's more. Brought out some detail and played with the RGB curve until I got it looking better.

[admin edit:

arn]

Kronic-X
Jul 21, 2002, 10:27 PM
Spymac's director AtariST has been contacted by Apple to remove the new enclosure pictures from the website. This could add a little credibility to the pictures.

MidnightRambler
Jul 22, 2002, 12:16 AM
Perhaps, given the carnage that occured to the Mac community this past week, APPLEP58 is just trying to keep some of the disgruntled in the fold. ;)

Oh well, ...I was sort'a hopeing for a metallic enclosure.

job
Jul 22, 2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by MidnightRambler
Perhaps, given the carnage that occured to the Mac community this past week, APPLEP58 is just trying to keep some of the disgruntled in the fold. ;)

Heh, probably. :D

APPLEP58 probably knows a lot more than he purports to.

Hm...pictures edited out by request of Apple legal. Very interesting indeed..:D

It does seem kind of odd that the AGP/PCI cards would be on the top. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm used to seeing them at the bottom of the tower.

And what the heck is that questionable port between the Firewire and Ethernet? :)

oldMac
Jul 22, 2002, 12:29 AM
This is funny, everyone is freaking out and saying this is a prototype because it's ugly. Everyone said the same thing when the prototype Quicksilver cases leaked a while back. Of course things will be changed to improve the appearance, Apple isn't going to release something that looks like crap.

Obviously, you don't remember the flower power and blue dalmation iMacs...

job
Jul 22, 2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by oldMac

Or the key lime iBooks. :rolleyes:

Grokgod
Jul 22, 2002, 12:39 AM
APPLEP58 looks very credible NOW!

And Groovebuster chased his away.
We had the whole mexican dinner in our laps and BOOM.

GONE>>..cripes.//

job
Jul 22, 2002, 12:45 AM
Ah well, nothing much we can do about APPLEP58.

At least he posted something extremely interesting and worthwhile.

Especially with the cease and desist order from Apple legal, it looks like what he had to say holds some water.

Pssst, the pictures are still available in another thread. But you'll have to find it on your own. :)

Paolo
Jul 22, 2002, 12:48 AM
Groovebuster is quite amusing... he makes these very passionate and rash arguments with out much reasoning behind them... it's sort of like George Bush? are you related?

Grokgod
Jul 22, 2002, 12:51 AM
I just hope that APPLE is reading some of the threads on this forum VERY carefully! And can see what is happening and that the eyes of the faithful are opening up.

Wish I knew what the APPLE trolls were thinking about us. :confused:

Durandal7
Jul 22, 2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by oldMac

Hmm, that's true. The plus side to those is that they didn't last long :D

groovebuster
Jul 22, 2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Grokgod
Groovebuster~ well , you have gone and made the guy run away, but I think he was looking for a REASON!

Cause you did put those faces on the end of your anger. But I have to admit that even I was wondering what you were trying to say.

Was IT, I HATE you , no wait , I like you , no wait Just kidding!

Wait a minute thats the way I feel towards APPLE right now! LOL

HE should have hung out and explained a bit more on the RAM for sure! or specs.

Seems we are pretty much alike!!! :D

I didn't know what I wanted to express with my "hate posting" myself! :rolleyes:

I am just stressed by the situation with Apple and yes, I also think that the dude didn't know a lot. But before he would have admitted it I unfortunately gave him a reason to steal away...

One thing is for sure... if all the things we were talking about turn out to be true (like holding back the technology an stuff), I will definetely think over my "relationship" to Apple, basing my decision only on economical facts in the future. Something that I didn't do always straight in the past.

I don't know... I feel a little bit like as if my wife cheats on me, after I paid her education all the years, if you know what I mean... :confused:

groovebuster

groovebuster
Jul 22, 2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Paolo
Groovebuster is quite amusing... he makes these very passionate and rash arguments with out much reasoning behind them... it's sort of like George Bush? are you related?

I thought we are on a rumor site... Reasoning is one of the least things you can find in the threads here.

And thank God I am not related to George Bush! :D I don't even live in the US! (Again thank God! ;)) But sometimes it is good to practice the techniques of the enemy to be more successful to defeat them!!!

Come one guys... GET OVER IT FINALLY!!! The dude wouldn't have told more anyway, so what's the point? Do your really think he would have gone in a private chat with you and telling you more and every little detail (if he would know more)???

No? That's what I thought! I really don't get why you all are over-reacting... He was pissed of by ONE little message by me. Looks still like he was looking for a reason to get away!

Oh, and so far I still believe the case is WHITE and not silver as he tried to make us believe! Unless it is a prototype on the picture with a different color... the machine looks WHITE! Remember all the rumors about white speakers and stuff? How would a Quicksilver case with a white speaker look like? I know.... I would barf too!!! Also remember the white mouse and key symbol in the system prefs?

We'll see in a few weeks... :D

If the new PowerMac won't be white I'll be the first one who'll admit to be wrong, but til then stop telling me that a grey case looks like that just because of the flash-light... that is impossible! If you have a picture to prove me wrong, go ahead, I don't have a problem to admit it.

So now stop whining that the guy is gone... I was a little bit rude to him (admitted) but he turned out to be a p*ssy. Probably he's crying on his mom's lap now because the people at macrumors (especially that groovebuster) were sooooooooo mean to him and didn't appreciate what he was doing for them!

groovebuster

P.S.: I said it before, if I would take everything personal that people told me without any reason already here at macrumors I would have committed suicide already or would be in a nuts house. Maybe I just adapted a little bit to the normal way conversations are held here very often. I still don't like people who tell me that they know something but won't tell and then laugh in my face... that's kindergarten!

kaneda
Jul 22, 2002, 02:43 AM
1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz...HOLY SMOKING CR@CK!!!**PASS OUT**

This spec was in the other discussion...

arn
Jul 22, 2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by kaneda
1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz...HOLY SMOKING CR@CK!!!**PASS OUT**

This spec was in the other discussion...

the specs are made up

arn

dantec
Jul 22, 2002, 06:03 AM
So can anyone send me these photos???

Man every time I miss them. It happens every time I load macrumors.com for 3 days and don't see any changes on the front page, and then the 4th day I don't check until half a day later and look what has happened!

The 2 drive bays would be very very usefull, and that photo earlier definitavely proves that there is DDR-RAM. (does Toast actually support copying from one Cd drive to another?)

Forgive me asking what are the differences inbetween DDR-RAM and RD-RAM?

Doesn't it seem odd that the heatsink would get so large if we are just doubling the speed? l'd only have imagined happen if we trippeled, or got to 2Ghz overnight.

I agree that we should have pro specs. Apple needs to develop a system which allows 2 graphic cards work simultaniously just like dual processors. That would kick ass... (Ultimate gaming system).

About the case, I thought the Quicksilver photo's were really ugly (when I finally got to see them). They were sort of tinted yellow, but it turned out that I would eventually order one! So if you think it's ugly, it will end up a little nicer, or it will be like the flat panel iMac design (it slowly grows, and you eventually turn from "Yuck" to "wow... that is cool").

What date is the media event where these 'monsters' are supposed to be annonced?

What I would really like to see Apple is a buyout of nVidia & real (so we would force the gaming market into the Apple arena, and so we would really pose a threat against m$ with real).

barendt
Jul 22, 2002, 03:04 PM
Well everything looks nice, does anyone have an idea to the speed? Are we even looking at a speed bump?

The PDF says the new design is G5 ready, but are we getting anything above 1GHz? What about the rumors of the using the IBM chips?

Any advice on this would help as I am looking to buy some new machines right away. The ddr ram is nice, but what I really want is some mac running at 2GHz!

kidinapple
Jul 22, 2002, 03:26 PM
Hey folks am new here infact am planning to shift to the mac community with the new powermac arrival on ZDnet can someone tell me whats this about motorola launching the G5 is that true? and if yes then does it mean the powermac will have the G5? here is the link at Zdnet http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html

thanx

dantec
Jul 22, 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by kidinapple
Hey folks am new here infact am planning to shift to the mac community with the new powermac arrival on ZDnet can someone tell me whats this about motorola launching the G5 is that true? and if yes then does it mean the powermac will have the G5? here is the link at Zdnet http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html

thanx

Hi, welcome to the Mac community.

There has been some uncertantity over the G5. Some say it is ready for production and finished, others say it is not. Other just say that motorola has not built the special plant it needs in France ?!? (don't me why they would build them there anyway). Others say so many out of each batch are faulty. For that reason others argue they can't produce in volume, or they can't sustain the failures costwise. (All of this concerns the Desktop G5, not the embedded).

However, the embedded version has been shipping for some time now, and has found itself powering some Cisco network adapters and such... However it should be noted that there is a 'big' difference between embedded and desktop. I just couldn't rip one out of a Cisco network adapter and shove it into my powermac...

Whatever you do hold out for a while to get a powermac. If you can't wait untill the revision after this august one, you should settle for a nice dual processor one. It doesn't have to be the latest (hell you can still find dual 500's and dual 800's). At least that way it would take Apple some time until the 'low-end' single processor G4 [maybe G5 at that time] will catch up.

MidnightRambler
Jul 22, 2002, 04:50 PM
You know, the fact that APPLEP58 didn't quote specific specs for the new gear only lends credibility to his info.

I'z gonna clue yous all inta sumptin':

The plastics for the enclosures are decided on long before the final release specs for a system.

Once the system architecure is approved, a form factor is designed (mainboard layout, type of memory, I/O ports, type and number of expansion slots, etc.). An enclosure/case is then designed to accomodate the system guts. Specifics, such as the actual processors employed and their clock speed, graphics cards, drives, etc., are decided on at a much later date, generally right before public announcements (based on availability and prices of the components).

It's not unreasonable to assume that someone might have accurate information concerning the external form factor of an enclosure and still not be sure of the final system specifications. In fact, unless the information was leaked immediately before a public announcement, it's exactly what you'd expect someone 'in the know' to be able to tell you.

Get with it, guys! :)

Oh, and I find this 'nubie' thing next to my name irksome. Sure, I'm new here, on THIS forum, ...but there should be some special MacRumors designation for guys like me. Something with a nice ring to it. Perhaps, VISITING DEITY.

job
Jul 22, 2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by dantec
What I would really like to see Apple is a buyout of nVidia & real (so we would force the gaming market into the Apple arena, and so we would really pose a threat against m$ with real).

Apple already poses threat to MS with Quicktime 6. MS is trying to push it's own "standard," WM9 which does not support mpeg-4 and AAC.

Why buyout all those companies? Apple would be no better than MS. Instead of innovation, Apple would just be another buisness company.

MacCoaster
Jul 22, 2002, 08:53 PM
Apple is already just another business...

It appears that they care about nothing but money.

Jake R
Jul 22, 2002, 09:00 PM
You guys need to calm down.

History shows that no matter how fake the pictures are, they're usually pretty darn close, but their low quality makes them look like crap. I remember this from several past Apple releases. The fact that MacOSRumors has both posted these same images speaks loads to their credibility, though the fact that Think Secret has not makes me a little skeptical. TS is usually more reliable than MOSR.

Some comments/corrections/reassurances/etc I have:

Someone said IDE can't handle more than four drives. Not true. It actually can only handle two, and the vast majority of computers have two IDE buses. The Xserve has four. I've heard of as many as eight on one motherboard. That would be support for sixteen drives.

There isn't a single hard drive in existence that can saturate ATA/100, let alone 133. It's reasonable for Apple to include ATA/100. If you must have 133, buy the Sonnet Tempo upgrade card. It's not expensive, and would hardly leave a mark on top of the price tag of a new G4. ATA/100 can handle at least 120GB per drive, if not more -- I'm not certain of the actual limit.

DDR RAM is SDRAM. This has already been covered. Given that Xserve has both DDR SRAM L3 cache and DDR SDRAM memory, I think there's an excellent chance that the next PowerMac will have it as well -- the R&D is already done!

While Apple may call a future computer a G5, there will never be a PowerMac using a Motorola G5 processor. The Motorola G5 is a network router chip. Used in DSL modems, high-end Cisco routers, etc. It's already available. There's no AltiVec. No way will this chip make it into a PowerMac as the main processor. My bet is that Apple will call some *other* chip the G5, be it Motorola or IBM. As far as I know, Motorola has exclusive rights to develop AltiVec hardware (a patent or something), and I don't think Apple will move away from that any time soon, given the great effort they've expended in optimizing their apps for AltiVec. As evidence, see the ZDNet article about the Motorola G5 ( http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html) (link originally posted by kidinapple).

I think that's all, for now.

-Jake

iam007jr
Jul 22, 2002, 09:22 PM
i really wanna see the photo from the french site
Duffmanooohyeah@aol.com

job
Jul 22, 2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster
Apple is already just another business...

They innovate, which is more than Microsoft can say.

neilt
Jul 22, 2002, 09:48 PM
if these pics are to be beleived, where doest the zip drive go?
Is Apple doing away with these as well?

I understand that alot of people are looking to have dual optical drives, but I think in the real/business/govt/edu worlds, the zip drive is more important than a second optical.

neilt

job
Jul 22, 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by neilt
if these pics are to be beleived, where doest the zip drive go?
Is Apple doing away with these as well?

I understand that alot of people are looking to have dual optical drives, but I think in the real/business/govt/edu worlds, the zip drive is more important than a second optical.

neilt

My guess would be an external drive. Most people have some sort of external Zip drive now.

Durandal7
Jul 22, 2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Jake R

History shows that no matter how fake the pictures are, they're usually pretty darn close, but their low quality makes them look like crap. I remember this from several past Apple releases. The fact that MacOSRumors has both posted these same images speaks loads to their credibility, though the fact that Think Secret has not makes me a little skeptical. TS is usually more reliable than MOSR.

Think Secret has been odd lately.They haven't had any update for a while and most of their recent articles seem to be rants on Rumor sites not getting press passes or about how dissapointed they were with Macworld.

RogueLdr
Jul 23, 2002, 12:18 AM
Hello all, been a regular viewer of MacRumors for some time, but decided to participate a little. I'll make it quick:

Quicksilver put a polish and finish on the design that was started with the B&W G3 Tower. The ellipsoid doors for the drive bays and the more monochromatic color scheme made for a very clean design that is currently seen in all of the modern Apple hardware. The photos of the new G4 Enclosure show a machine that seems to take some cues from the AGP and Gigabit G4 Towers, with the obvious large panel on the front of the case with large, clearly defined bay openings and a plethora of ports and buttons. Is Apple really moving back to a more compartmentalized aesthetic? IMHO, it would seem that, if anything, Apple would continue their trend towards remarkably simple lines with clear, flat space covering as much of the surface area as possible.

Any opinions?

RL

RogueLdr
Jul 23, 2002, 01:22 AM
Does anyone know why there is a fan mounted on the swingout side of the case? The external picture doesn't show any ventilation porting on the upper front edge. Am I just not seeing something right?

Let me know.

RL

MacCoaster
Jul 23, 2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by hitman

They innovate, which is more than Microsoft can say.

Really?

I don't see Apple pumping out cross platform technologies like Microsoft's .NET Framework. Instead they sit around and use other's technologies like Apache, etc.

Apple still using PC-133 for the pro-sumer line. How innovative! Wait, no, that's years old technology.

Apple, as of to date, is lagging. Sure Microsoft isn't great most of the time, but Apple isn't great either.

Granted, Apple isn't really in the market Microsoft in.

:rolleyes: If only I could have the money, I'd get a damn Mac. I'd 100% use OS X over Windows. But really, IMHO, all corporations are evil, even Apple. They just don't seem to innovate anymore, just innovate more in OS X to improve speed, add a couple of technologies that's already used in the Windows world, but implemented much better. Although, I must 100% thank Apple for FireWire. Don't know how I could live without it.

dantec
Jul 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by hitman

Apple already poses threat to MS with Quicktime 6. MS is trying to push it's own "standard," WM9 which does not support mpeg-4 and AAC.

Why buyout all those companies? Apple would be no better than MS. Instead of innovation, Apple would just be another buisness company.

I don't agree. M$ will include it in a future version of XP or whatever new bloatware which will increase it's popularity, awareness and have more consumers who 'don't know better' using it.

Bodhi
Jul 23, 2002, 12:21 PM
MOSR having these pics for weeks? PLEASE! MOSR is so out of the rumor loop it's not even funny anymore. That whole rant after MWNY was basically their frustration that they had no info whatsoever. Personally I think they burned too many bridges and pissed sources off.

Look back at MOSR's rumors before MWNY: They were a re-hash of ThinkSecret's rumors.

neilt
Jul 23, 2002, 02:43 PM
check crazy apple rumors slant on this issue....i thought it was pretty funny:
http://www.crazyapplerumors.com

Mr. Anderson
Jul 23, 2002, 03:35 PM
i totally forgot about crazyapplerumors.com - sort of like the mac version of the onion.

its nice to see someone taking a funny approach to all the things that have been causing so much agitation.

D

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 23, 2002, 03:46 PM
These pictures look like some inventive person has taken a hacksaw to their Quicksilver, and replaced the holes with perspex - and then added some stick-on wafer-thin aluminium sheets!

I've got to say that I'm skeptical (as if you hadn't already guessed!). Apple field literally dozens of designs before they come to a final decision on the look of their flagship computer - and because it just looks too similar to the current design, I'd be very surprised if this is their ultimate choice.

Backtothemac
Jul 23, 2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Really?

I don't see Apple pumping out cross platform technologies like Microsoft's .NET Framework. Instead they sit around and use other's technologies like Apache, etc.

Apple still using PC-133 for the pro-sumer line. How innovative! Wait, no, that's years old technology.

Apple, as of to date, is lagging. Sure Microsoft isn't great most of the time, but Apple isn't great either.

Granted, Apple isn't really in the market Microsoft in.

:rolleyes: If only I could have the money, I'd get a damn Mac. I'd 100% use OS X over Windows. But really, IMHO, all corporations are evil, even Apple. They just don't seem to innovate anymore, just innovate more in OS X to improve speed, add a couple of technologies that's already used in the Windows world, but implemented much better. Although, I must 100% thank Apple for FireWire. Don't know how I could live without it.

With all do respect, you are right, Microsoft is the master of creating and being innovative in ways to invade your privacy and provide you with shoddy software that is hacker prone, and yet highly overpriced.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 23, 2002, 03:55 PM
Well - it only took me 5 minutes to find out I might be mistaken...

I went back to the french site (www.macbidouille.com) that posted the new mac pictures, and what did I find?

An Apple "cease-and-desist" order preventing further publication or viewing of the new case pictures.

Hmmmm... The plot thickens...

:confused:

ibananarama
Jul 23, 2002, 04:02 PM
sorry for asking a dumb question, but all monitors work with power macs right? not just the apple lcds?

and when looking inside of the quicksilvers i noticed that there is only 1 cd drive bay in there...what the crap is with that?

MisterMe
Jul 23, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
These pictures look like some inventive person has taken a hacksaw to their Quicksilver, and replaced the holes with perspex - and then added some stick-on wafer-thin aluminium sheets!

I've got to say that I'm skeptical (as if you hadn't already guessed!). Apple field literally dozens of designs before they come to a final decision on the look of their flagship computer - and because it just looks too similar to the current design, I'd be very surprised if this is their ultimate choice.

You are right except that no hardware was damaged. The picture of the case is a hoax, a composite of at least three images, possibly more. I would guess that the hoaxer used Corel PHOTO-PAINT to piece the thing together. As we all know, the PDF file was "created" using Corel DRAW.

Just look at the image at 2x (200%). Does that look real to you?

mmatlock
Jul 23, 2002, 07:19 PM
Groove...

Take a break to see your doctor. I'm not sure you are making any points even on a "rumor" site. Ok, you're not here to make points but you're not here to harrass others, either. You can state your mine without being a bitch.

Wecome to the good ol' U.S. of A -- home of the Mac!

Take your pills and chill.

mmatlock
Jul 23, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by ibananarama
sorry for asking a dumb question, but all monitors work with power macs right? not just the apple lcds?

and when looking inside of the quicksilvers i noticed that there is only 1 cd drive bay in there...what the crap is with that?

You're correct, most monitors work with all Macs. Some require adaptors so check to make sure. Good luck.

As for what is next for the Power Mac I wouldn't believe anything I hear. I guess that's why I love rumors.

sirheikki
Jul 24, 2002, 10:21 AM
Could someone please send me the pics?
sirheikki@operamail.com

tibookx
Jul 24, 2002, 10:57 AM
can someone send me the pdf or something at this email address! ill be EXTREMELY grateful!

tibookx@mac.com

dlhsu
Jul 24, 2002, 11:50 AM
can someone send me the pics too???
Thanks very much!

dlhsu@alumni.hmc.edu

dantec
Jul 24, 2002, 01:40 PM
Me too...

--> cesa@sefanet.ch

Zoen
Jul 24, 2002, 04:58 PM
Can someone also send me the pics? I was too late to get them off macbidouille!
Please....

zoen@mac.com

ibananarama
Jul 24, 2002, 05:25 PM
hey i'm a student and was looking at getting a new powermac because i do not own the one i am using...

i was going to get a 733mhz, 60gig, 512 ram, cdrw...

does anyone know how long it takes to actually get the machines? i know it says 2-5 days ground, 2 days fedex and so on, but they have to build the machine and i was wondering how long that one actually takes

and all these rumors about new powermacs...how long does it usually take to get a machine if ordered right when they are released?

mmatlock
Jul 24, 2002, 05:45 PM
hey i'm a student and was looking at getting a new powermac because i do not own the one i am using...

i was going to get a 733mhz, 60gig, 512 ram, cdrw...

does anyone know how long it takes to actually get the machines? i know it says 2-5 days ground, 2 days fedex and so on, but they have to build the machine and i was wondering how long that one actually takes

and all these rumors about new powermacs...how long does it usually take to get a machine if ordered right when they are released? :)

There are many places to purchase your Mac. I'd try one of the on-line sites or, better yet, get their 800 number from the site and call them. You can check MacMall MacWarehouse, MacZone, etc. They are all reliable and have good prices if you don't want to shop around. By using them you do not have to pay sales tax. They normally have the computer in stock ready to ship -- another reason for calling, you can check availability.

You can have next day delivery if you want to pay for it. It's not that expensive -- maybe $35.

As an enrolled student you can buy a Mac from your school's bookstore or you can use the educational protion of the Apple Store -- part of Apple Web site. You normally get a couple hundred off but you may have to pay tax. You'll have to document you are an enrolled student.

All Apple computers are built at plants and shipped to distributors and stores. They are not build special unless you order them speical -- something you will not have to do.

I hope this info help.

macintoshgenius
Jul 24, 2002, 06:17 PM
Is it me or does it look like the PCI slots are postioned so that they are on the top of the case. Is this a new thing for apple. Also how is that fan that is pictured supposed to vent the case.

macintoshgenius
Jul 24, 2002, 06:24 PM
Can someone please email me the PDF of the new G4

MacintoshGenius@mac.com

THank you,

ibananarama
Jul 24, 2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mmatlock

There are many places to purchase your Mac. I'd try one of the on-line sites or, better yet, get their 800 number from the site and call them. You can check MacMall MacWarehouse, MacZone, etc. They are all reliable and have good prices if you don't want to shop around. By using them you do not have to pay sales tax. They normally have the computer in stock ready to ship -- another reason for calling, you can check availability.

You can have next day delivery if you want to pay for it. It's not that expensive -- maybe $35.

As an enrolled student you can buy a Mac from your school's bookstore or you can use the educational protion of the Apple Store -- part of Apple Web site. You normally get a couple hundred off but you may have to pay tax. You'll have to document you are an enrolled student.

All Apple computers are built at plants and shipped to distributors and stores. They are not build special unless you order them speical -- something you will not have to do.

I hope this info help.

i know all that...i'm actually buying it special from apple because they don't actually sell 733 processors anymore smarty pants...it's made for education only...

i can get that tower for roughly the same price as a new imac with a 40 gig and cdrw and like 128 ram so i figured i would shell out a little more and get a monitor too....

what i really want to know is if there are delays between order placement and shipping date because a lot of times that happens where it's ordered and then doesn't ship for a few weeks due to demand/construction

neilt
Jul 24, 2002, 11:27 PM

i know all that...i'm actually buying it special from apple because they don't actually sell 733 processors anymore smarty pants...it's made for education only...

what i really want to know is if there are delays between order placement and shipping date because a lot of times that happens where it's ordered and then doesn't ship for a few weeks due to demand/construction

chill out man...I think he was just trying to help you get a good deal :p

anyway, Apple is usually pretty accurate with their ship times (sometimes they are even early) My guess is that these machines aren't being made "special" for education, but are old stock they are trying to clear out in a channel that needs good deals due to lack of funds. Once they are gone, they will probably remove the 733 from the available product list.

It does look like a good deal, that is a great price for the box.

Durandal7
Jul 24, 2002, 11:55 PM
For all of you looking for case pic, look here http://homepage.mac.com/johnnydoefield/733.jpg
Heh, right under Apple's nose.

dantec
Jul 25, 2002, 01:22 AM
thanks man. But I think I just lost my breakfast. Ugh... those things are pretty nasty. Maybe if they just removed the front silver panel it would look MUCH better.

dantec
Jul 25, 2002, 02:17 AM
Looks like they deleted your mac.com account or you removed the page.

mmatlock
Jul 25, 2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by MidnightRambler
Get with it, guys! :)

Oh, and I find this 'nubie' thing next to my name irksome. Sure, I'm new here, on THIS forum, ...but there should be some special MacRumors designation for guys like me. Something with a nice ring to it. Perhaps, VISITING DEITY.

My, my. I guess you'll have to get over it. I'm sure noone will hold it against you. ;)

mmatlock
Jul 25, 2002, 07:29 AM

i can get that tower for roughly the same price as a new imac with a 40 gig and cdrw and like 128 ram so i figured i would shell out a little more and get a monitor too....

What's this "smarty pants" stuff. Just trying to help. Maybe you need a new attitude to be in this discussion. Still in an effort to help, how is anyone but Apple to know if they will make their ship date? Why not ask them?:mad:

mmatlock
Jul 25, 2002, 07:36 AM
For all of you looking for case pic, look here http://homepage.mac.com/johnnydoefield/733.jpg
Heh, right under Apple's nose.

Nice pictures. They look like they could be real. I wonder how long the pictures will stay up?:)

OSeXy!
Jul 25, 2002, 07:55 AM
Having looked at the pics of the case over the last few days, what can one say? As a design it's obviously evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. I suspect the same is true of its insides... It is (we're told) still a G4, after all. Unless that massive cooling brick really is heralding a some surprise, this model should just be seen as a (very large) incremental update, rather than the real Next Big Thing. It looks like we have to wait a bit longer for that.

primalman
Jul 25, 2002, 10:23 AM

Well... last time I checked it said: