Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
I know there have been threads on this in the past, but I didn't want to bump some oldies...so here we go.

Has anybody had any success bypassing the RipLock technology it seems Apple employs on their SuperDrives?

My Unibody has the UJ-868 drive, which rips music nice and fast, but when it comes to DVD ripping (not even commercial DVDs, but home recordings and whatnot) it will take ~1/2 the play time of the disc to rip. With my old PC laptop and Dell tower it would do a complete movie in like 15min, tops.

The only think I can think of is the use of RipLock technology. It doesn't matter if I'm using MacTheRipper or just drag-and-dropping the Video_TS folder either.

I figure I can always give Apple a call at some point, but I don't think I'll get too far with their customer support when it comes to what is most likely a firmware issue. My hope is that there's a software solution that can trick the drive in to thinking it's not ripping video files, but I haven't found anything of the sort yet....

Worst case, I guess I could pick up a USB enclosure and make my old Dell's 48x DVD-ROM drive my dedicated external ripping drive, but I was hoping to do this without external add-ons like that!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
I see there were 89 views but no replies so I may as well update...

I ended up just going to Fry's and getting a SATA/IDE-->USB2.0 port adapter for $15. No enclosure, just a 120V-->Molex plug and an SATA+IDE port-->USB port converter.

Works like a charm, 16min to extract a full 4.7GB video DVD, about an hour with the internal drive....

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
From my experience, the drives in macbooks are kinda bad, so that might have been your problem.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Has anybody had any success bypassing the RipLock technology it seems Apple employs on their SuperDrives?
I didn't know they had that built into the SuperDrive?

I wonder why I don't have this problem running Windows via Parallels? (Using AnyDVD for encrypted videos).

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
I didn't know they had that built into the SuperDrive?

I wonder why I don't have this problem running Windows via Parallels? (Using AnyDVD for encrypted videos).

From reading around, it's been on the SuperDrives for quite some time. I'm not sure if it's OS dependent, but like I said audio rips up to 15x speed with a good disc no problem.

The $15 external setup is fantastic in terms of speed, just a couple extra cables too. The RipLock doesn't prevent you from ripping DVDs, it just slows down the speed to what seems like ~2.4x maximum speed. How long does it take you to rip an entire feature length DVD via Parallels?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
A 90 minute DVD will take about 45-55 minutes. About the same as on my Dell desktop.

See, that's the RipLock in action. On a DVD drive without RipLock it'll take 15min or so for a 90min disc to rip/extract. That's what I'm getting with my old 48x CD/16x DVD drive from 2002 out of my old Dell tower with the IDE-->USB adapter.

If you're encoding while extracting, that's a different story, but just for ripping >20minutes per 90minutes of video is too long IMO. I knew something was up with the MacBooks because I was ripping DVDs on that Dell back in 2003 and the extraction would never take more than 15-20min. Encoding would take some time depending on the codec and the encoder, but that's a CPU related issue which is independent of the optical drive here. I like to rip to the HDD first, then encode the files.

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
I have this problem too, it is definitely RipLock. I found no way around this thus far. I try to do my ripping on my older desktop.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Anyone come up with a solution.

Is there a replacement drive from another maufacturer which does not have riplock? It is rather easy to replace the drive, so to me that's an option.

Its really annoying not beeing able to rip movies for my iPhone without it taking almost a day for one two hour movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.