PDA

View Full Version : How often should I shut down/put to sleep G5?

2A Batterie
Jul 21, 2004, 05:56 PM
I have a dual 2.0 G5, and was wondering what is the best routine for putting it to sleep and/or shutting it down. Should I always leave it on and have it asleep, or should I shut down periodically, or a combination of both?

GUSTO
Jul 21, 2004, 06:06 PM
I have had mine on for up to 2 days before with no probs at all:)

most of the time its on for about 12 hours + a day and I restart it about once or twice during that time. Not really needed since OSX is rock solid :D

jsw
Jul 21, 2004, 06:16 PM
Mine (Rev A dual-2) stays on 24/7 with no problems. I restart it primarily when required by: (a) software upgrades/installs or (b) power problems (I've got faulty power lines in my neighborhood - they're working on it, but it's not uncommon for high/low/no voltage to cause my UPS to shut the system down).

Typically, mine probably stays up a couple of weeks at a time, barring short term bursts due to the aforementioned power issues.

Sleeping and shutting down the system help in conserving power, but aren't usually necessary for any other reason, and the system runs fine without doing so. If you tend to shut down and/or sleep your system, you might want to look into MacJanitor (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html) to make sure certain scripts are run as needed.