PDA

View Full Version : AT&T may lose Apple iPhone's exclusivity, CEO says

MacBytes
Oct 24, 2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: AT&T may lose Apple iPhone's exclusivity, CEO says (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091024090028)
Description:: AT&T may lose its exclusive deal with Apple for iPhone, which lifted its third-quarter profit with 3.2 million activations over the period, AT&T Mobility CEO intimated on Thursday during a conference call with analysts.

AT&T reported 2.0 million increase in total wireless subscribers, which is the highest third-quarter net gain in the company's history and bringing its subscribers to 81.6 million in total. It saw a number of 3.2 million iPhone activations, of which 40% are new customers to AT&T, marking the company's largest quarterly total to date.

While AT&T beat profit expectations on Wall Street with the help of iPhone, the company will not have exclusive access to Apple's handset forever, said Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility

"It will be very negative for AT&T as the popular handset is its tremendous growth engine," said Brian Marshall, anaylyst at Broadpoint AmTech in a phone interview.

Apple starts its exclusivity deal with carrier in the middle of 2007, but now they prefer multiple carriers for the handset, said Marshall.

Marshall noted it's not AT&T will lose its iPhone exclusivity but the iPhone exclusivity won't exist in U.S. soon.

"It will end forever," Marshall said.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20091023/atmay-lose-apple-iphones-exclusivity-ceo-says.htm

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jayducharme
Oct 24, 2009, 12:38 PM
I wonder if any of this speculation was brought on by the FCC investigations. The end of exclusivity can't come soon enough. Although I've been happy enough with my AT&T service, I still find the cost (especially for texting) to be far too high. Some competition could help drive the price down.

mactree
Oct 25, 2009, 08:11 PM
sorry can't feel bad for you AT&T. you've screwed me for years and years with your service being Way over priced. If you want people to stick with you when your exclusive deal is over, than make some better rate plans. I for one will be finally be saying goodbye.

chstr
Oct 25, 2009, 08:32 PM
verizon please

tempusfugit
Oct 25, 2009, 09:01 PM
verizon please

Amen. I'm considering getting a Droid because I hate the 3g coverage ATT has to offer. Great in town but never on the road, and I drive to and from Chicago a lot. Edge grinds my gears and so does ATT's pricing. Can't complain about rollover, however. I've got a real love/hate thing going on with ATT and I'm sure millions are the same way. Ideal scenario would be starting a VZ contract with and iPhone sometime in the future.

Tilpots
Oct 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
This isn't front page news?

AT&T's agreement with Apple needs to end. Now.

AppleNewton
Oct 25, 2009, 09:23 PM
holding my patience...I'm really interested if Verizon/Apple can reach some sort of agreement, ive had this sam ephone for 2.5 years now....and would love to consolidate my portability (iPod, Phone, Etc) into the nice iphone...plus i dislike keypads and the touch screens on these other touch phones dont have the same intuitiveness for me.

bradl
Oct 25, 2009, 09:26 PM
Amen. I'm considering getting a Droid because I hate the 3g coverage ATT has to offer. Great in town but never on the road, and I drive to and from Chicago a lot. Edge grinds my gears and so does ATT's pricing. Can't complain about rollover, however. I've got a real love/hate thing going on with ATT and I'm sure millions are the same way. Ideal scenario would be starting a VZ contract with and iPhone sometime in the future.

And you think Verizon's coverage is any better?

My father had Verizon in Oklahoma City, and would drive every other weekend down to my grandmother's place in Hugo (about 25 miles north of the Texas Border), and would have pathetic coverage all the way down after travelling east on I-40. He wouldn't get coverage at all until he was on the south side of Paris, barely putting him in range of the towers in the Dallas area.

Another friend mine, until switching off of Verizon had just as crappy reception in and throughout Nebraska until she got to within the Omaha and Lincoln metro areas, and this was including on I-80.

2 years ago, my father switched to AT&T. He not only has coverage in Hugo, Paris, and the entire Indian Nation Turnpike up to I-40, but has 3G at my grandmother's farm, 15 miles outside of Hugo. My high school friend went to ATT as well, when the iPhone 3G came out. 3G and data out in Hastings, Kearney, North Platte, and Ogalalla, going towards Denver, not to mention Omaha and Lincoln.

I just came back from a convention in Milwaukee, and had to drive into MDW to make my flight back to Sacramento. I had full bars of 3G and Data all the way up I-94 and back.

Verizon is just as bad, if not worse. But for all the people who want it over there, if Apple decides that they do want Verizon's lips all over their backside for laughing them out the door 3 - 4 years ago, go for it. More bandwidth for me on ATT.

BL.

mikes70mustang
Oct 25, 2009, 09:33 PM
And you think Verizon's coverage is any better?

My father had Verizon in Oklahoma City, and would drive every other weekend down to my grandmother's place in Hugo (about 25 miles north of the Texas Border), and would have pathetic coverage all the way down after travelling east on I-40. He wouldn't get coverage at all until he was on the south side of Paris, barely putting him in range of the towers in the Dallas area.

Another friend mine, until switching off of Verizon had just as crappy reception in and throughout Nebraska until she got to within the Omaha and Lincoln metro areas, and this was including on I-80.

2 years ago, my father switched to AT&T. He not only has coverage in Hugo, Paris, and the entire Indian Nation Turnpike up to I-40, but has 3G at my grandmother's farm, 15 miles outside of Hugo. My high school friend went to ATT as well, when the iPhone 3G came out. 3G and data out in Hastings, Kearney, North Platte, and Ogalalla, going towards Denver, not to mention Omaha and Lincoln.

I just came back from a convention in Milwaukee, and had to drive into MDW to make my flight back to Sacramento. I had full bars of 3G and Data all the way up I-94 and back.

Verizon is just as bad, if not worse. But for all the people who want it over there, if Apple decides that they do want Verizon's lips all over their backside for laughing them out the door 3 - 4 years ago, go for it. More bandwidth for me on ATT.

BL.

I find it much better in the midwest. I watch my friend drop calls constantly all over the state on his iphone. apple will get an explosion of money if they make iphones available to vzw. But for now blackberry is dominating

bradl
Oct 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
I find it much better in the midwest. I watch my friend drop calls constantly all over the state on his iphone. apple will get an explosion of money if they make iphones available to vzw. But for now blackberry is dominating

Agreed. I've had nothing but constant connectivity across the I-70, I-80, I-35, I-40, and I-29 corridors, as my relatives live in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas. So far, there are only 2 places I have been where I have not had coverage: Old Route 66 in Arizona, and US-95 between Las Vegas and Reno (I did get coverage in Beatty, Tonopah, Hawthorn, and Fallon; everywhere else was dead).

BL.

AppleNewton
Oct 25, 2009, 10:02 PM

i have never had too many issues with dropped or last calls on my verizon acocunt and have been a member for atleast 10 years now...ironically the only time my calls seem to be dropped or no service is when i was in an Apple store lol.

ive traveled heavily the last year or so and had no issues with most coverage..but i also dont own a blackberry or anything that would work on the 3g network so it may be a bit different in circumstance but overall im pretty happy with their service...theyre definitely not perfect but its what works for me, i mean more iphones on more networks should be interesting to see. instead of having all their eggs in one basket and tied up to limitations by one provider could hopefully expand the iphone