PDA

View Full Version : iSight - Discontinued???

phillymjs
Jul 21, 2004, 07:28 PM
Today my company received an e-mail from Apple listing a bunch of discontinued products that Apple said they were cancelling from open orders they have for us. Not surprisingly, this included the 3G iPods and one or two other items-- but I was shocked to see that the iSight was listed there as well. I just added one to my Apple Store cart for the hell of it, and the estimated ship date is 2-3 weeks.

I have (or had, anyway) an iSight on order with my 2.5GHz dualie that I ordered on June 9th, so I'm wondering what's going on.

When I mentioned this to a co-worker, he pointed out some sales materials we have for the new Cinema Displays that mention a magnetic iSight mount that neither of us has heard of.

So, it looks to me like Apple will be announcing a revised iSight in the near future. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

~Philly

mkrishnan
Jul 21, 2004, 07:36 PM
IIRC, the magnetic mount is to enable mounting to the new Apple LCD displays, which is why its mentioned in the display brochure. Its just a different mounting kit. But I don't understand why they'd cancel on you instead of bumping to the new PN...so maybe something more interesting is going on? :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-78803

PlaceofDis
Jul 21, 2004, 07:37 PM
during the keynote at the WWDC steve said that there were going to be new mounts for the new displays, perhaps they are going to be in different packaging or something like that....but i doubt a new iSight is comming because during the keynote stevie also mentioned that the new codec for quicktime will improve the current iSight in Tiger

Jalexster
Jul 21, 2004, 07:50 PM
I think this must mean there is a new iSight coming. Or maybe they are changing the iSight package to incude the new mount in the package. Because people would get annoyed if they buy an iSight, and find it dosen't work with thier new Apple display, because of the lack of the correct mount.

I think that is the most logical, they are discontinuing the current iSight package, and replacing it with a package containing the new mount.

Ajmbc
Jul 21, 2004, 08:33 PM
Listed here:
Apple Cinema Displays (http://www.apple.com/displays)

neoelectronaut
Jul 21, 2004, 10:10 PM
I just wish the iSights would go down to $100. That's the price point that I would actually buy one at. $150 is too steep for my blood.

For pete's sake, it's just a damn webcam.

saabmp3
Jul 22, 2004, 09:36 AM
I just wish the iSights would go down to $100. That's the price point that I would actually buy one at. $150 is too steep for my blood.

I agree, 100 bucks and I'd have a couple of them. I think that "new boxes this summer" is a sure give-a-way that new ones should be out soon, it sure is summer.

BEN

zv470
Jul 22, 2004, 10:26 AM
Damn, I bought mine yesterday. Just my luck :(... not that it makes much difference. I just wish they'd bring out a proper non-adhesive mount for the old cinema displays.

zv470
Jul 22, 2004, 10:29 AM
What do people think of the desktop mount? I didn't think it would be so good. Placed right in-front of my display it gets a prettie natural viewing angle.

zucruw
Jul 22, 2004, 10:31 AM

Well said, I was at comp-usa they other day, and there are so many webcams less than 50 dollars. (They are not compatible with Mac, the only ones that work with OSX are expensive!) It would be great if the iSight was priced so that people would go to the store and just buy on impulse. Now, at its 150 pricetag, its something thats an investment.

r6girl
Jul 22, 2004, 02:32 PM
i agree on the price comments - $150 is too much for an impulse buy for me. a lower price would be nicer...

but on my future apple products wish list is a wireless isight! i'm sure a lower price than $150 wouldn't be possible for that (would probably be higher to boot, i'm sure), but i'd probably bite for the wireless feature - i'd love to set up some surveillance cams (for when we're on vacation or at work, and to check on our dog, etc.) in our house without needing to run wires...

marianne

agentmouthwash
Jul 22, 2004, 02:58 PM
the new displays actually come with the magnetic isight mount you guys are talking about - so I doubt they are going to sell the isights with those mounts or people with the new displays will have 2 of them.

Maybe new isights are coming out. I don't have one, but what can Apple improve on them?

aricher
Jul 22, 2004, 03:48 PM
As a daily iSight user I'd say there is very little to improve upon. The picture quality is better than ANY webcab I've seen and, of course, it works seamlessly - plug n' play. I have even been using it with iStopMotion software to make little Lego movies - very cool.

The only problems I've seen are - 1. so-so low light reading - need one of those MacMice lights. 2. Sometimes I can get a submarine-sounding echo if I'm typing on my PB while video chatting - I attribute this to vibrations. Other than that the thing is great - I've already paid off 2 of them in what I was previously spending on phone bills.

jimjiminyjim
Jul 22, 2004, 04:05 PM
It has been a trend that new product announcements come with price reductions. Perhaps this will be true for the next iSight release. I had considering buying a pair, and sending one home to the family for Christmas. Alas, their only high speed internet possibility is Satellite, and the cheapest available in their area is *gasp* $90.00/month. (I guess that's about 60 american). I think they'll be on dial-up for a while longer.

jimjiminyjim
Jul 22, 2004, 04:06 PM
I've already paid off 2 of them in what I was previously spending on phone bills.

You must have business/family outside of the country!? How do you figure?

mowogg
Jul 22, 2004, 04:07 PM
the new displays actually come with the magnetic isight mount you guys are talking about -

If the new display mounts for iSight are magnetic, I guess the display housing is not aluminum. I suppose that's why they didn't offer magnetic mounts for the Al PowerBooks.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 22, 2004, 04:22 PM
There was a rumor of a iSight 2 a few months ago....

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 22, 2004, 04:27 PM
the new displays actually come with the magnetic isight mount you guys are talking about.

I opened my new 23" up yesterday and I didn't see any magnetic isight mount. I think you are mistaken. And yes, the displays most not be aluminum since you can attach a magnet to them.

Edit: This link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9314G/B) says that the new displays are anodized aluminum. Does that mean they are magnetic aluminum? Some geologist or metal expert out there please explain, are Apple just lying, is it just iron or metal processed to look like aluminum?

N10248
Jul 22, 2004, 05:01 PM
I opened my new 23" up yesterday and I didn't see any magnetic isight mount. I think you are mistaken. And yes, the displays most not be aluminum since you can attach a magnet to them.

Edit: This link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9314G/B) says that the new displays are anodized aluminum. Does that mean they are magnetic aluminum? Some geologist or metal expert out there please explain, are Apple just lying, is it just iron or metal processed to look like aluminum?

most likely a long strip of iron / steel or whatever underneath the aluminium at the top

Also apple missed out on a opportunity - they could have put a firewire port at the top-centre of the new displays, then isights with a new mount would need no cable - they would plug straight in at the top.

superbovine
Jul 22, 2004, 10:20 PM
Damn, I bought mine yesterday. Just my luck :(... not that it makes much difference. I just wish they'd bring out a proper non-adhesive mount for the old cinema displays.

http://www.macmice.com/products.html

zv470
Jul 24, 2004, 02:06 AM
http://www.macmice.com/products.html

Hi thanks, but things like that are hard to get in New Zealand. What I was going to do was get someone to put a few bends in a rectangle of perspex, kinda an upside down L shape that hangs off the back of the screen and attach the adhesive/iMac mount onto the back of that. Haven't found any companies that bend plastic for cheap yet though. :D