Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I'm sitting here for 8 minutes watching a segment render.

I open up my activity monitor and only about 25% of my cpu usage graph is taken up. My disk activity is only 3-4 mb/sec so it's not disk limits.

Does this mean all the processors/cores on my mac pro are just sitting here being wasted?

SO frustrating, because I bought this machine to get things done FASTER and it looks like it's just going to waste.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Anyone? Just wondering that I can do to make my renders faster.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
FCE use a single processor... so does Final Cut Pro... the advantage of more cores comes into play for apps like Compressor which can take multiple cores and put them to work on large jobs with many files in a batch.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I routinely watch FCP grab over 100% on activity monitor. I'm convinced it's multicore aware but to nowhere near the extent that newer FCS apps and Compressor are. It is limited to 3 GB of RAM, though.

FCP 8 and technologies such as GCD and OpenCL should address this, as will the Quicktime X framework updating and rewriting in Cocoa. I expect the next version to require Snow Leopard, as well.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I just exported something in Final Cut and it was averaging about 200% processor power which was better than I had thought.

I have to say though that the exporting "remaining time" is really far off.

Sometimes it will say 30 mins to go and then it just finishes and the file is fine!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Sometimes it will say 30 mins to go and then it just finishes and the file is fine!
Final Cut bases it's ETA off of it's current rendering/exporting point on the timeline and it assumes the remainder of the timeline is exactly the same as that. For example, if you have a lot of complex graphics at the beginning of your project FC will assume the entire project is composed of complex graphics and give an ETA based on that. Once it moves past the complex gfx to just a simple CC filter it will assume the rest of the project is a simple CC filter and dramatically reduce its ETA.

Lethal

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Final Cut bases it's ETA off of it's current rendering/exporting point on the timeline and it assumes the remainder of the timeline is exactly the same as that. For example, if you have a lot of complex graphics at the beginning of your project FC will assume the entire project is composed of complex graphics and give an ETA based on that. Once it moves past the complex gfx to just a simple CC filter it will assume the rest of the project is a simple CC filter and dramatically reduce its ETA.

I exported a single recording of me playing the piano today all done in one cut with no effects with about 1 minute length however the footage said 15 minutes left for export then it just finished! How would this happen under the ETA system?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I exported a single recording of me playing the piano today all done in one cut with no effects with about 1 minute length however the footage said 15 minutes left for export then it just finished! How would this happen under the ETA system?
Simple. FCP is crazy. :D Honestly, I've never seen an ETA window that was consistently accurate.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.